Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Problem with that is it doesnt differentiate the frontal snow V convective snow-

The author of that image-- if they have weighted say 75% convective then its over already for some....

Not knocking any forecast, & the overall depths are reasonable- however a lot of people looking at that would be thinking- ok 2-4cms already this afternoon- so ive got another 10/15 to go-

Which is surprising given the intensity of the front..- we shall see

Steve

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

This frontal precipitation really needs to kick it up a notch or don't expect 5cm or even more ! , even intense sleet would still cover

Posted

Problem with that is it doesnt differentiate the frontal snow V convective snow-

The author of that image-- if they have weighted say 75% convective then its over already for some....

Not knocking any forecast, & the overall depths are reasonable- however a lot of people looking at that would be thinking- ok 2-4cms already this afternoon- so ive got another 10/15 to go-

Steve

so your saying that there is not going to be as much snow as this picture shows?

Posted

Looks like it is all over for Essex shok.gif

I didnt think the main area of concern was meant to be here until after 8pm anyways??? chill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Been snowing more than not all day today here, and blizzard conditions at times. Had to get bus to local supermarket and they look like they are being cancelled and stopped early tonight from what the bus driver was saying. We seem to be getting the edge of the main bulk hitting Kent. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Steve

Steve - regarding the intensity of the front, Western Germany has had some distinctly unimpressive snow 'griesel' today with the western end of the front pretty much moving up the German/French border and now into the Low Countries at about Haarlem. Nothing coming out of it further west at all. The DWD serious warnings are out for Eastern Germany (Meck-Pom-Brandenburg) only. The southern edge of the front is about at Cologne now, everything to the south is dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Hi guys

A couple of pictures for you - really enjoying this winter!

Pictures were taken in Tatsfield, near to where I live in Biggin Hill. We've seen quite a bit more snow this afternoon, luckily have all provisions now. Let's see what tonight holds :rolleyes:

post-2944-12630606356542_thumb.jpg

post-2944-12630606952642_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks like it is all over for Essex shok.gif

In what way? To be honest I would rather miss the ppn this eve if its nailed on sleet/rain. Dont want that at all. Bloody marginality sucks. I knew this would be the case 48hrs ago, so not too downhearted. Still sucks big time though.

Posted

Okay it's stopped here in the Valley, very on off but prob dumped 2" this afternoon, hard to tell due to drifting and snow being blown off level surfaces. Not much local on the Radar, so a quiet spell I think.

However I have a Question! Was that just a "Bonus" afternoon for Kent??? The main MetO warnings which have been there a day or so, and are still there, claim that the "main event" is from 20:00 Saturday - 23.59 Sunday

So is that Dutch contender due to pepp up and hit Kent tonight???

Have a stab if your a serious Am' forecaster rather than a OOh look it's snowing and refer to a pine cone for the future :lol: (no malice intended :p)

Posted

Strange watching the snow/hail you can see the haze of it above the light pollution falling from the sky... never seen that before :lol:

Posted

Blob watch (animate it) ETA??? place your bets

http://weerplaza.nl/buienradar/radar_googlemaps.asp?r=45

I have and i do animate it and i have snow falling from the sky and i know there is more out in the channel and i know that i am in line for it just posing the question because there seems to be a bit of doom and gloom going on.

Been watching radar for few years now. I subscribe to full netweather package and can say it is very good gives me loads of info on the weather well worth the price.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Blob watch (animate it) ETA??? place your bets

http://weerplaza.nl/...lemaps.asp?r=45

What direction is that moving? If its due west it will hit East Anglia

Posted

Temp has dropped back to 0.5 under the shower !

Posted

In what way? To be honest I would rather miss the ppn this eve if its nailed on sleet/rain. Dont want that at all. Bloody marginality sucks. I knew this would be the case 48hrs ago, so not too downhearted. Still sucks big time though.

This afternoon's event is over now, but the next? Radar is rather blank for now.

Might be a good idea to take another break from radar etc for a few hours and come back about 8ish.

Posted

I have and i do animate it and i have snow falling from the sky and i know there is more out in the channel and i know that i am in line for it just posing the question because there seems to be a bit of doom and gloom going on.

Been watching radar for few years now. I subscribe to full netweather package and can say it is very good gives me loads of info on the weather well worth the price.

i know subscribe too and watched the threads for about 6 years now just tend to lurk, was just getting behind u on the doom and gloom front but thanks 4 putting me in my place

With reference to the diagram- it would have been helpful if the poster had put the estimates from a convective perspective, then based around the frontal snowfalls-

The warm front is still to the SW, & as highlighted its a weakish affair- HOWEVER its the reaction & potential development in the SE quarter that needs watching, however I think its being over stated-

All eyes on radar watch now...

Steve