Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Just had a total whiteout for the last hour with the island gridlocked. All bus services suspended and total gridlock in and on the outskirts of town due to heavy snowfall. If you know our island, our town centre is situated in a valley so getting out of town for most involves going up a hill one way or another. This snow couldn't have come at a worst time for commuters. And looking at the radar, there is more to come (excuse my little ramp there) cool.gif

You know its good when Jersey gets a white out!

So the 12zs draw another solution out of the hat and prolong the cold for another 2 weeks. Some interesting times ahead I feel and you have to wonder if the UK is cut out for that length of cold these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

So the 12zs draw another solution out of the hat and prolong the cold for another 2 weeks. Some interesting times ahead I feel and you have to wonder if the UK is cut out for that length of cold these days.

Tbh, if we have another major snowfall. the uk will have troubles.

Pipes are already burstin.

Salt is VERY low ( for example, Glos wont be doing my mainroad anymore )

Posted

Is that the same Francis Wilson that stated categorically yesterday on Sky weather that the cold would end on the 19th or 20th of this month. His statement not mine.

yes,,,he as refused to budge for day's on the cold prediction..

So far he as been very good

Lynxus....yes correct and other counties

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just seen that on the radar you got quite a pasting by the look of it :)

We certainly did lian :) ... and it's the heaviest snow I have witnessed here in a long time, since the eighties in fact :)

Posted

Just had a total whiteout for the last hour with the island gridlocked. All bus services suspended and total gridlock in and on the outskirts of town due to heavy snowfall. If you know our island, our town centre is situated in a valley so getting out of town for most involves going up a hill one way or another. This snow couldn't have come at a worst time for commuters. And looking at the radar, there is more to come (excuse my little ramp there) :)

Do you get much snow down there, or does being in the channel keep you warmish?

If so, does it come up from the continent, generally?

Posted

We certainly did lian :) ... and it's the heaviest snow I have witnessed here in a long time, since the eighties in fact :)

Wow! Yeah i seen on the radar bright red and i thought gosh! Can you divert the wind and send it this way lol :)

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

bbc saying cold weather to stay into next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Does anyone know if the 'wind vectors' on the precip radar give an indication of the likely direction of ppn? I'm sure someone last winter said the 700hpa wind vectors are the best for this, but I may have mis-remembered that. Thanks

Posted

Many a true word spoken there Matt ... for snow like this in Jersey, you know the conditions have to be exceptional :lol:

Posted

Many a true word spoken there Matt ... for snow like this in Jersey, you know the conditions have to be exceptional :lol:

Looks like your gonna get hit with another load soon

Posted

Pipes are already burstin.

Yep, I've got a burst main up the road.

I suppose the councils have put everyone on snow and ice duties. Slowly, but surely, we are grinding to a halt! Roads getting even worse than they were, bins not getting emptied, hospitals cancelling appointments, people running out of fuel oil, gas being rationed for industry, empty supermarket shelves, grit/salt running out, even main roads not getting gritted.

I blame Gordon Brown ( :lol: ).

Posted

Hi Noggin - Is it the burst pipe on the Badminton Road? Just drove through it if so - water everwhere - ok at the moment but will be like an ice rink later whistling.gif

Just heard Richard Angwin on BBC radio Bristol calling for 2 - 5cm for Sunday of ice pellets / small grain snow. And mostly clearing up for Monday. He was accentuating the wind and ice aspect more than anything and the fact that, with probably not too many cars about on Sunday, the prospects of nasty conditions come Monday. Fair assessment I should say as things currently stand. I was a bit disappointed, but seeing how the local forecasters here (including Ian) have called it spot on so far for this cold snap - I'd not be surprised if that was the final outcome. Still a few runs to watch between now and Sunday - let's see what develops. Plus a few streamers to watch tonight to keep the radar addiction alive and kicking! laugh.gif

Posted

and us Lian,

I hope you got your spade ready..lol

Not sure? Im watching that band on the Raintoday radar, the thin row of showers just diminished, not sure about the bit behind it, although i am keeping an eye on it :D

Posted

Not sure? Im watching that band on the Raintoday radar, the thin row of showers just diminished, not sure about the bit behind it, although i am keeping an eye on it :D

It does look promising.

Looks like its westards movement has slowed somewhat. We may get the odd heavy shower from this yet!

Posted

Looking forward to the Spotlight forecast later, should clear everything up. A day of snow grains would suck but how he can know what the shape of the snow is going to be at this range is beyond me :D

Posted

It does look promising.

Looks like its westards movement has slowed somewhat. We may get the odd heavy shower from this yet!

hope so mate, eyes to the skies :D

Posted

hope so mate, eyes to the skies :D

were they ever off?

Posted

Hi Noggin - Is it the burst pipe on the Badminton Road? Just drove through it if so - water everwhere - ok at the moment but will be like an ice rink later whistling.gif

That's the one!! It burst this morning.

You must have driven right past my house! :D:D

I won't be able to avoid it when I go to work later on. :o :lol:

Posted

Do you get much snow down there, or does being in the channel keep you warmish?

If so, does it come up from the continent, generally?

Hey noggin, generally yes. A continental flow serves us well which is why we are all looking forward to the Saturday night, Sunday all day event :D

And no, noteworthy snow has been been a rarity here for the last twenty years or so...but I have a feeling that's all about to change :D

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

That's the one!! It burst this morning.

You must have driven right past my house! :D:D

I won't be able to avoid it when I go to work later on. :o :lol:

Take a photo tomorrow. You will probably have a big pile of frozen water rising from teh ground

Posted

Wow! Yeah i seen on the radar bright red and i thought gosh! Can you divert the wind and send it this way lol :D

I'll have some beans on toast for dinner and see what I can do :wallbash:

Posted

Just caught the Spotlight forecast online and looks v. good for Sunday/Monday

Spotlight forecast, click on 'Video Forecast'