Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

On the NWR those showers to the NE are really moving SW at speed.

They are indeed!

I just hope they head south a bit quicker.

I think their westerly track is too fast at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Not sure what to do when the mild eventually returns. I've developed a kind of social life in the past 2 weeks or so, where people don't laugh at my perculiarities and obsessive nature! Hell I've even had a few drunken rants late at night and not been told to go away. Long may the cold continue. Bring on the snow and ice!

Posted

MY thoughts FWIW.

0-24 hrs.

We have 3 streams, the Newcastle streamer, the Wash Streamer and the SE streamer.

The most active atm is the Newcastle streamer, however this should bend more towards Wales missing the SW as the winds slowly turn more easterly. However whether they reach Gloucestershire before this occurs is open to debate and worth watching.

The Wash streamer Should shoot down the south cotswolds into Wiltshire and maybe n.Dorset before dying out later tonight.

The 3rd streamer in the SE should move it's precip further west as the winds steer more easterly. This brings into play S.Dorset(if they are luckly) maybe tomorrow lunchtime.

24-72 hrs.

We have some model disagreement now on the main weekend event, GFS wants to keep the major trough to the midlands, METO GM takes it more through the channel, if we take a combination of the two (NAE isn't updating for the 12Z for some reason) then this gives approx 36 hrs of moderate snowfall with accumulations of 5-12cm for the SW.

72-144 hrs

Some agreement on the low pushing into the SW and moving SE, with SE winds and DP's below 0, bringing snow to the SW, the exception is Cornwall which could have DP's upto 1 or 2C by 144Z. Accumulations are only estimates as this is a very finely balanced situation but 10-20cms is very realistic as things stand on top of what might happen before then.

As always beyond 72T is very variable.

Posted

quiet on here,every gone out..lol

tenp falling fast here...-3.1

Hi, doggy.....I've just got in!

Been catching up on the old thread.....ta to everyone who explained where it's coming from. :unknw:

I like the look of that Beeb forecast at 4 o'clock.......it's going to be a nail-biting few days coming up! :unknw:

Posted

Evening folks another very cold day with ice and snow everywhere again had to walk 2 mile out of village again with me bike cause of ice.Currently -3 aint been above -2 all day.Even seen a few burst water pipes today cause of the ice i guess.Could anyone fill me in to what we can expect tonight tomorrow and sunday.I ave a gut feeling a lot of snow is coming not just sunday but next week as well

I forgot to mention had a sleet shower earlier just before 2pm stayed cloudy rest of the day after about 10 mins of sunshine which didnt do anything to the snow/ice cover.Cloud now breaking infact total clear sky with slush refreezing on the road

Exciting times ahead

Edited by yipikiaye

Posted

MY thoughts FWIW.

0-24 hrs.

We have 3 streams, the Newcastle streamer, the Wash Streamer and the SE streamer.

The most active atm is the Newcastle streamer, however this should bend more towards Wales missing the SW as the winds slowly turn more easterly. However whether they reach Gloucestershire before this occurs is open to debate and worth watching.

The Wash streamer Should shoot down the south cotswolds into Wiltshire and maybe n.Dorset before dying out later tonight.

The 3rd streamer in the SE should move it's precip further west as the winds steer more easterly. This brings into play S.Dorset(if they are luckly) maybe tomorrow lunchtime.

24-72 hrs.

We have some model disagreement now on the main weekend event, GFS wants to keep the major trough to the midlands, METO GM takes it more through the channel, if we take a combination of the two (NAE isn't updating for the 12Z for some reason) then this gives approx 36 hrs of moderate snowfall with accumulations of 5-12cm for the SW.

72-144 hrs

Some agreement on the low pushing into the SW and moving SE, with SE winds and DP's below 0, bringing snow to the SW, the exception is Cornwall which could have DP's upto 1 or 2C by 144Z. Accumulations are only estimates as this is a very finely balanced situation but 10-20cms is very realistic as things stand on top of what might happen before then.

As always beyond 72T is very variable.

Thanks for the update Iceberg! Really appreciate your posts, as some of the stuff said in here goes straight over my head.. haha! -3 Here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

The band of ppn heading towards our area at the moment isn't as big as what we've had over the past week, but to be honest at the moment the intensity isn't greatly different. I'm now glued too! Wasn't expecting that tonight! I guess the unpredictability and 'short notice' of snow is its real appeal before it happens - equalled only for me by thunder storms. Good luck for the next few days, and if it gets properly worse, be safe.

Posted

This burst water main up the road from me is a bloomin' nightmare. :)

The water is gushing all over the place (it's an "A" road) and as cars are splashing through it, so water is being deposited for hundreds of yards in either direction. Should be fun getting to work later, when it's all nicely frozen! :)

Still, I bet the water companies are inundated with burst pipes and mains at the moment.

.....and don't even get me started on the condition of the road surfaces around here. They are still awaiting repair after last February's snow!

I feel a council tax increase coming up!

Posted

Currently -2°C here. I just been looking at the Raintoday radar, looks like those snow showers are heading my way or do you think they might peter out?

Posted

The band of ppn heading towards our area at the moment isn't as big as what we've had over the past week, but to be honest at the moment the intensity isn't greatly different. I'm now glued too! Wasn't expecting that tonight! I guess the unpredictability and 'short notice' of snow is its real appeal before it happens - equalled only for me by thunder storms. Good luck for the next few days, and if it gets properly worse, be safe.

It does look like we may see a little snow in the next hour from this shame its so far west .. Its moving west more than south.. So very much a watch the radar situation

Posted

wow we got snow forecast tonight like u i wernt expecting anything.Right time to view the radar

Posted

Hi Noggy,

more snow,more snow,,,,

no one knows when life will get back to normal...

Mr Wilson Going for next week and the week after (probably) with the cold.

And like someone in the East thread said he as been very good with his forecast of late.

The glos council only gritting main routes now like London rd,Cirencester rd,ect

big cut down on salt and grit...

Posted

Hi Noggy,

more snow,more snow,,,,

no one knows when life will get back to normal...

Mr Wilson Going for next week and the week after (probably) with the cold.

And like someone in the East thread said he as been very good with his forecast of late.

The glos council only gritting main routes now like London rd,Cirencester rd,ect

big cut down on salt and grit...

I assume your looking at the NW radar loop?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Sky News for Sunday looked lovely! If anything moving a bit further west.

Posted

I assume your looking at the NW radar loop?

no...the more long the cold goes on the more chances of LP system's bumping into it.

I thought the warmth might be coming back next Wednesday,now Im not so sure

Posted

no...the more long the cold goes on the more chances of LP system's bumping into it.

I thought the warmth might be coming back next Wednesday,now Im not so sure

Hehe, no i mean, i assume your looking at it NOW! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just had a total whiteout for the last hour with the island gridlocked. All bus services suspended and total gridlock in and on the outskirts of town due to heavy snowfall. If you know our island, our town centre is situated in a valley so getting out of town for most involves going up a hill one way or another. This snow couldn't have come at a worst time for commuters. And looking at the radar, there is more to come (excuse my little ramp there) :cold:

Posted

Just had a total whiteout for the last hour with the island gridlocked. All bus services suspended and total gridlock in and on the outskirts of town due to heavy snowfall. If you know our island, our town centre is situated in a valley so getting out of town for most involves going up a hill one way or another. This snow couldn't have come at a worst time for commuters. And looking at the radar, there is more to come (excuse my little ramp there) :cold:

Just seen that on the radar you got quite a pasting by the look of it :cold:

Posted

Is that the same Francis Wilson that stated categorically yesterday on Sky weather that the cold would end on the 19th or 20th of this month. His statement not mine.