Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

morning all,have just watched the BBC forecast issued at 7.02am Sat.Still implying the extreme SE under London to get worst through today into this eve and then more general snow across the region but NO mention of SW getting worse if anything into Sunday they said peak district and Wales possible 10-15cm extra. Guess we'll just have to wait and see,one moment talk of poss breakdown Tues onwards then weather advisories upto Wed for our areas with snow I think it's Saturday Lottery day!help.gif

Posted

Just watched Alex deakin on the BBC weather, Not a word about the southwest or the snow in the channel islands, Don't he know that there is life outside the southeastdry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Veeeeeeeeeery nice! :) I was having a look yesterday at the Channel Streamer that was pounding the Cotentin Peninsula of Normandy, that then tracked further south and hit you guys. The snow totals must be quite nice in places round there! :)

hey butler son ... I know that 7.5 cms was recorded here on Tuesday night but what we have had here in the last 12 hours must have easily surpassed that. When I get news of how much has / is due to fall I will let you know. :bad:

great pics :nonono:

Cheers cityatnight2001...will snap some more scenic ones when I get out later :whistling:

Posted

Just watched Alex deakin on the BBC weather, Not a word about the southwest or the snow in the channel islands, Don't he know that there is life outside the southeastdry.gif

He's obviously broadcasting from the Beeb centre in London,deep down they are the same as us just keeping his eyes glued with anticipation on his homeland loldrinks.gif

Posted

hey butler son ... I know that 7.5 cms was recorded here on Tuesday night but what we have had here in the last 12 hours must have easily surpassed that. When I get news of how much has / is due to fall I will let you know. :nonono:

Cheers - was trying to search for French news stories about it, but couldn't find any. :whistling: Can't find any local press things for that part of France - of course, Cherbourg is the main town, but it wasn't getting hit quite so much as other places in the area!

Would be very interested in how much snow fell! :bad:

EDIT: Found something on http://www.meteoconsult.fr - an orange weather warning out for département 50 (Manche). In their observations section of the warning, saying what happened yesterday (or so it seems):

Observation : Ce samedi à 07h00 , des averses de neige continuent de tomber sur les départements de la Manche, des Côtes d'Armor et du Finistère. Elles sont d'intensité modérée, et donnent en moyenne 2 à 5 cm. Dans a région Gavray (50), la couche de neige atteint les 25 cm !! A noter le vent de nord-est qui souffle à 60 km/h et renforce la sensation de froid.

Basically (for the non French speakers) - (As of Saturday, 6am GMT) snow showers continue to fall in the départements metioned. They are of moderate intensity giving about an inch or so (what you got this morning, Fitzwis!). In Gavray, Manche, lying snow has accumulated to 25cm! A cold north easterly wind, blowing in at 60km/h is making is feel much colder.

Edited by butler_son

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Could someone please explain why the BBC local weather forecast for this area has what it seems to be rain for our part of the country on Sunday now? :cold:

Posted

Ice Snow Storm Daisy is about to hit Germany at some point with Blizzard's.

Its so bad there the government have told them to stock up on supplies,

Anyway back here there is a possibility that large snowfall could or might hit Southern UK this week coming.

Some uncertainty if it will be sleet or rain in the most southern part's.

Infact some uncertainty how far the warmth of sleet and rain might spread North.

Sky are so confident they have all morning been issuing warning of heavy snow for the Midlands for the middle of the week.

BBC not going that far YET!!

But first sign's the Met are going that direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Could someone please explain why the BBC local weather forecast for this area has what it seems to be rain for our part of the country on Sunday now? :cold:

Sorry.... Please don't bother with replying, I think I know the answer and I have resolved to NOT look at any more forecasts this weekend. I was thinking about what was so magical about the snow as a child and ofcourse there were many things, but one of the things which I loved the most was the supprise that it was magically there when I looked out of the window! As children most of us didn't bother with weather forecasts and had wonderful surprises as a result. I am going back to my childhood. :cold:

Posted

Snowkissed we seem from all accounts to be going into a classic completely unknown situation with regards to the snow during the coming days,from what I have been reading on the GFS discussion forum there are quite a few factors involved,one thing I am sure there will be snow but how much,where and exactly when but late tomorrow onwards for us is highly likelyclap.gif

Posted

Sorry.... Please don't bother with replying, I think I know the answer and I have resolved to NOT look at any more forecasts this weekend. I was thinking about what was so magical about the snow as a child and ofcourse there were many things, but one of the things which I loved the most was the supprise that it was magically there when I looked out of the window! As children most of us didn't bother with weather forecasts and had wonderful surprises as a result. I am going back to my childhood. :cold:

lol...was it on the internet you saw that or tv

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Yes, this is the GFS ppt. for Weds.

ukprec.png

On this run would give snow to many, but may turn to rain or freezing rain for a time with the 0C 850 isotherm over Devon and Cornwall. Still a lot to resolve on the detail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Could someone please explain why the BBC local weather forecast for this area has what it seems to be rain for our part of the country on Sunday now? cc_confused.gif

There is always the chance that rain could fall after all it is a warm front approaching and also the temps will be a little higher if anything falls out of the sky it will be light and not note worthy, as for Tues /Weds will be rain near south coast and low ground if it gets this far, we need to keep this cold air we have now for any of this snow to happen!

Posted

lol...was it on the internet you saw that or tv

It is on the BBC's Local Weather report on the internet. It has shown rain instead of snow for the past 24 hours. Could it be that someone doesn't like us down here or that they have run out of snow flake graphics?

There is always the chance that rain could fall after all it is a warm front approaching and also the temps will be a little higher if anything falls out of the sky it will be light and not note worthy, as for Tues /Weds will be rain near south coast and low ground if it gets this far, we need to keep this cold air we have now for any of this snow to happen!

Hmmm, snow is a miracle !

Posted

It is on the BBC's Local Weather report on the internet. It has shown rain instead of snow for the past 24 hours. Could it be that someone doesn't like us down here or that they have run out of snow flake graphics?

that was updated on Friday,so take that as a pinch of salt..

no maybe not we need salt..lol

Keep to the Met and then BBC ,,,Just my opinon

:wacko:

check later when it get;s updated

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by dogs32

Posted

GFS updating in 10mins...

snow for the south west was downgraded last night, and MO's new forecast rainfall is ridiculously light.

The wind isnt very favorable for convection showers coming into the south coast either.

Not sure about this one. think it might just be one or two light showers?

On the other hand, the MO update also show light snow continually for Plymouth (For example) for around 24-32hours.

Also, i still believe what i said before; much more mild next Tuesday afternoon to Friday (5/6oC) for Devon and Cornwall, with no chance of snow what-so-ever (apart from tops of Dartmoor).

I do see the potential that there could be some snow on the leading edge of the low, but it is far to North - just like the set up after/before christmas (cant remember when now!) which produced a lot of rain....

Paul

Morning all...severe wintry conditions expected here in the Channel Islands for the next three days at least. I have woken this morning to another whiteout and several cm's of fresh snow and if our local forecast is correct, snowfall amounts here by tomorrow morning will be the highest we have seen here for a long time cold.gif

All public transport services have been suspended and many roads are becoming either treacherous and / or impassable.

I think you might steel a foot there today - looking good by all accounts.

Posted

The NAE wants to give 1-4mm precipitation up to Monday morning.

4mm = about 4cm here :wacko: Nothing major but might fill in some of the footprints...

10011106_0906.gif

Posted

Not quite sure where your seeing rain on the graphics?? Ive typed in both Wimborne and Bournemouth on their and it shows just snow and no rain at all??

Ah do you meen on the chart which you slide along?

I was thinking the 5 day forecast because this shows snow.

Edited by Snowman15

Posted

PS Is anyone else finding the same?

...every time I look out of my window in the morning I think there's been another heavy snowfall!

It is still so white out there. So nice to have a proper snowfall with no sign of the dreaded brown slush.