Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

A young lad at our local Co-op decided to be helpful and duly went out with buckets of hot water and a brush to get rid of the snow and ice.

It was like dancing on ice. biggrin.gif

It is -1 here according to the car and getting much colder. Also think I am about to get a little more snow, well the sky certainly tells that story anyway.

Isnt there some model output about 3.30pm?

Genius! Perhaps someone should show him a shovel instead wink.gif

aspire, the next stop in the GFS rollercoaster rolls out about now, shortly followed by the UKMO and then ECM around 6ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

OK, As i was saying.

Glos doesnt look like it will get the snow that was expected if the metoffice warnings are anything to go by.

Looks like its not much of an event.

Theres also plenty of talk about it warming up soon.

So who knows.

Maybe we will be back to the Wet mild weather quicker than thought.

Posted

By the way, for anyone with the Net Weather radar - in lieu of sunday, interesting to note the convection to our south currently :drinks:

SK

Edited by snowking

Posted

By the way, for anyone with the Net Weather radar - in lieu of sunday, interesting to note the convection to our south currently tease.gif

SK

Give us a clue :drinks:

Posted

M.O.T "Big downgrade in precipitation on the 12z??? "

I guess it was a bit of IMBY from the poster, the weaker PPN does go further North, but still looks OK in the south.

Best to wait for the NAE when that rolls out, it has a higher res and is more accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi all...anyone been following the streamer that's been hammering the Cherbourg area for most of the day? It's been such a tease for us here in the Channel Islands having to watch all this monsterous convection fly by from our North East to South East. At approximately 13:45, my partner collected me from work in the North East of the island and whilst driving along the South East coast, we witnessed the most amazing funnel cloud we have ever seen. No pics I'm afraid :help:

It looks as if the axis of the streamer is shifting slightly now in our favour so fingers crossed that we get a good pasting this evening and tonight. Our local forecasters are going for snow showers becoming more frequent tomorrow afternoon and evening but somehow I think this might apply to us this evening too ... here's hoping and here's looking forward to the Saturday evening all day Sunday event :wallbash:

Posted

Not reached above zero today, looking forward to the models this evening, hopefully shed some more light on this weekend/Mon/Tue snow.

Current temp -0.9c and falling.

Cloudy with the odd snow flake floating in the wind.

Wind spinney thing reading constant 4mph easterly already with a wind chill of -3.2c

Inside temp 20.1c sat in front of the open fire :wallbash:

Posted

Hi all...anyone been following the streamer that's been hammering the Cherbourg area for most of the day? It's been such a tease for us here in the Channel Islands having to watch all this monsterous convection fly by from our North East to South East. At approximately 13:45, my partner collected me from work in the North East of the island and whilst driving along the South East coast, we witnessed the most amazing funnel cloud we have ever seen. No pics I'm afraid :cray:

It looks as if the axis of the streamer is shifting slightly now in our favour so fingers crossed that we get a good pasting this evening and tonight. Our local forecasters are going for snow showers becoming more frequent tomorrow afternoon and evening but somehow I think this might apply to us this evening too ... here's hoping and here's looking forward to the Saturday evening all day Sunday event :drinks:

maybe someone filmed it and it will be on YOUTUBE..

Posted

Becoming windy with periods of snow starting during Sunday and lasting through and including Tuesday. Some of the snow will be heavy and it will be very cold.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 13 Jan 2010 to Friday 22 Jan 2010:

Cold conditions will persist on Wednesday and Thursday with snow showers across northeast England and eastern Scotland, whilst a band of more persistent snow is possible across some western and southwestern areas. It will also be windy for many, accentuating the cold. Little change is expected into next weekend (16/17 Jan) with sleet or snow showers still likely across some northern and eastern districts, whilst longer spells of sleet or snow may occur across southern districts, this perhaps turning to rain in the extreme southwest later. Into the following week the indication is that many eastern parts of the country will remain cold, although with a lot of dry weather. Western areas could well be more unsettled, eventually turning less cold, with some rain, sleet and snow.

Updated: 1238 on Fri 8 Jan 2010

Posted

Errrrm

The trough heading out of yorkshire needs an eye kept on it, a fair bit more intense than initially forecast

Wouldnt be anything significant here but could be a little more than the 'few isolated flurries' that had been predicted

SK

Posted

Worth taking a look at the forecast here http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209 , give us some more uncertainty of snow quantities but does promise it....:shok: Fairly recent update too..

interesting update Nick

difference's are instead of 2cm-5cm.....Could[/i ]be 10cm-15cm..maybe in a few places

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Errrrm

The trough heading out of yorkshire needs an eye kept on it, a fair bit more intense than initially forecast

Wouldnt be anything significant here but could be a little more than the 'few isolated flurries' that had been predicted

SK

What direction to have that going? south or off to the west before it reaches Somerset... preasure charts look like its going to head out over wales..

Posted

What direction to have that going? south or off to the west before it reaches Somerset... preasure charts look like its going to head out over wales..

Most likely i'd have thought itll start heading west.....but its a bit more expansive than suggested by the 6z NAE....could well make it just across the bristol channel if it continues to stay this elongated

Nothing massively heavy, just something to watch

SK

Posted

This was mentioned in the forecast for tonight.

Posted

A very interesting set of 12Z models and far from a downgrade for the SW. I am waiting for the NAE before giving a summary though for the SW.

yes the breakdown could be vanishing..

I think its reminding me of the day after tomorrow

maybe alot more snow events to come?

THOUGH NO guarantee's past 48hrs

Edited by dogs32