Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Hi Paul, wondered if you could shed any light on the area you think will be affected by the weekend snow event. Interestingly the Met have only warnings for Sussex, Kent - nowt for Suffolk or Essex?!?!

I am 90% certain Essex and Suffolk will be included during tomorrow when they have a better angle on where the precip enters the Uk.

Paul S

Posted

That line from Essex to IoW is likely to cause high level anxiety in some posters, Nick, depending on what part of Essex you start your pen from!

To be honest it does not matter what gets posted, people just don't listen. People will become anxious as soon as a slightly negative post is made by anybody or is not worded to their liking.

Reiterating what is currently the status, it is indicated that large parts of region will see 5cm widely Saturday in to Sunday, some areas will get 10cm plus, jackpot locations 20cm's. This all based on current data, we can't rule out a large region hitting 10cm's plus, but the general theme is for 5cm's.

Posted

Hi guys have just checked the met office and they have given out a flash warning for this afternoon for Brighton and hove for more heavy snow ,is this going to happen does anyone know?

I guess they wouldn't release it if there wasn't a chance eh? :lol:

London & South East England: Brighton + Hove E Sussex Kent Medway

Heavy Snow 1500 Fri 8 2200 Fri 8

Further heavy snow showers will feed in from the North Sea this afternoon with further accumulations of 2 to 5 cm generally with locally up to 10 cm. The snow will start drifting in a freshening northeasterly wind.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1135 Fri 8 Jan

Posted

That line from Essex to IoW is likely to cause high level anxiety in some posters, Nick, depending on what part of Essex you start your pen from!

Surely it all depends on the wind direction? if it's from the NE then parts of Essex southwards into Kent, The Sussex's will be largely effected but slightly east of North east of this then maybe more inland areas of the above perhaps Suffolk, again a bit of radar watching will be needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

im assuming by the bbc forcasts and posts on here that we in norfolk are going to miss out on this weekend's possible snow event??

exactly the same as last week, beeb and everyone ramp it up for our area and in the last 24-36 hours the forcast completely changes dry.gif

hope everyone down south enjoys the weekends snow.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Looks like a beefy snow shower to hit west kent ;) :lol:

Posted

Just looked at the fabled Skynews forecast and says nothing for up here - Panic!! lol

im assuming by the bbc forcasts and posts on here that we in norfolk are going to miss out on this weekend's possible snow event??

exactly the same as last week, beeb and everyone ramp it up for our area and in the last 24-36 hours the forcast completely changes dry.gif

hope everyone down south enjoys the weekends snow.

This was EXACTLY the point I was making the other night

and this story is a DISGRACE

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED08%20Jan%202010%2007%3A37%3A33%3A367

Edited by Rich44

Posted

Looks like another Re-Run of Last nights Snow Showers is on the cards for the next few Hours! Snow showers now hitting Lowestoft, Felixstowe and Eastern Ipswich, moving through to Clacton and Maldon, and then onto the Southend area, this ties in very well with the 3-10pm warning issued by the Meto earlier.

Paul S

Posted

This cold spell -the snow has been very localised.-Warlingham Biggin Hill has about 7ins whilst Keston West Wickham has 3-4 ins Bromley probable 1.5ins at best which is disappointing. South East London has just been on the edge of the heavier falls but maybe by Tuesday all the SE should have about 6 ins of snow except Central London. The Downs 20 miles from London always do very well from this setup:drinks:

Let's hope so. As I said, unless it's a direct easterly, SE London always seems to be on just the wrong side of the various snowfests, north, south, east or west.

Posted
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)

What do you class as central London? :lol:

Central London is probably the City and West End - =The further away from the heat island the better although if the easterly really picks up and digs in then any marginality gets canceled. Away from the coasts -inland even the city should have a good snow covering-;) suburbs even better

Posted

Looks like a beefy snow shower to hit west kent ;) :lol:

Is that the one that's gone just east of Ipswich?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Looks like another Re-Run of Last nights Snow Showers is on the cards for the next few Hours! Snow showers now hitting Lowestoft, Felixstowe and Eastern Ipswich, moving through to Clacton and Maldon, and then onto the Southend area, this ties in very well with the 3-10pm warning issued by the Meto earlier.

Paul S

Michael fish said that east kent would be worst affected lol

Posted

Heads up Clacton, Burnham, Shoebury, Southend region etc.

Nice clump of showers heading directly for us in next 45 mins or so.

Should hit the Medway towns after that, as long as it keeps it track. Gaining intensity too :lol:

Hopefully it will pep up more over the blackwater area.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

No advisories for the whole region at all now on Monday/Tuesday, surely you would of thought an ice risk at least? . . .

Anyway it's about this time of day - after sod all again despite warnings for the last zillion days, when I go through my usual round of straw clutching for London (particuarly zones 1-3) so. .

The key for us is getting rid of this useless NE wind, it will never deliver us the BEST stuff because the long land tracks gradually cut off the juice supply and we just end up with transcient pish. During Sunday the wind shifts to a direct Eastery and should pile the bigger stuff straight up the Estuary into the heart of London and edges of bordering counties.

So I would say early Sunday is the best straw to grab if you're in the heart of London - thats our best chance of copping the big big dollop - just disappointed that no warning now for Monday, which suggests there's not going to be a large window to get the really prolonged pasting that I'd hoped for.

Of course later on Saturday we also have a good chance of getting some of the good stuff because even though the wind direction still wont favour us it will be stronger and so there's much more chance of those bigger showers and bands holding together for longer.

Good luck eh :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The North East is gonna get hammered with those showers moving inland! Look how intense they are now! Our ones seem pretty pathetic in comparison laugh.gif

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

I am 90% certain Essex and Suffolk will be included during tomorrow when they have a better angle on where the precip enters the Uk.

Paul S

Any chance of it being a bit further west? whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Haha, what part of Essex!! :lol:

Another faint hope dashed. We in the upper 2/3rds of Suffolk are just getting all the inconvenience (ice, roads like skating rinks and an inch of snow covered with last week's footprints) and none of the fun.

It's clouded over and there are several tiny snowflakes drifting down, but that's it. And we may as well forget about the w/e.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

I've just been out walking across the snow fields around here and I took some photos...

http://picasaweb.google.com/dupplawt/SnowJanuary2010#

Bitterly cold day here today, top temperature just above freezing at 0.3c but currently -1.6c with clear skies. Should it stay that way we may get our coldest night of this spell (previous low is -7.8c Wednesday night).

Posted

Michael fish said that east kent would be worst affected lol

He also said there wouldn't be a hurricane! :lol:

Lol, plenty of time yet. The showers are just getting going. We will all see some decent conv action through this afternoon/evening i'm sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Is that the one that's gone just east of Ipswich?

Yep just missed us, the ones following should be bang on though :lol:

Posted

Any chance of it being a bit further west? whistling.gif

Lol

Yes of course, it will travel across the Country during Sunday!

Neil, Mr Fish would be right, soryy a bit of IMBY'ism there, it is spreading out on its eastern edge and will include Eastern kent as well, and most of C/W/E Kent this evening

Paul S

Posted

This cold spell -the snow has been very localised.-Warlingham Biggin Hill has about 7ins whilst Keston West Wickham has 3-4 ins Bromley probable 1.5ins at best which is disappointing. South East London has just been on the edge of the heavier falls but maybe by Tuesday all the SE should have about 6 ins of snow except Central London. The Downs 20 miles from London always do very well from this setup:drinks:

Have to take just a slight exception - I live in Beckenham/Bromley borders and I have a level 3" on my untouched car. Very localised though, I agree. parts of Croydon - Addiscombe, Lloyd park, Sanderstead sort of area - considerably depper.