Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

:D

It may not be showing up on the radar yet but there is more convection now kicking off in N Kent over the estuary. Snow showers clouds apparant and moving in over Sheppey and beyond.

These I guess will develop further during the afternoon and evening.

Just heard the 12.57 Radio 4 forecast and actually mentioned areas around the Medway Towns for tonight and potentially disruptive snow and also the heavy snow forecast for the SE tomorrow afternoon and night, spreading to other southern areas during sunday.

Finished by still saying 'No end in sight'

James

So showers missing NE Kent again! :D:crazy:

looking forward to the weekend now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

That blob on rain today is just about to hit my location, just started to get thick grey clouds and the sun's about to disappear! :crazy:

Light snow now falling, BBC 1 o'clock news will have an extended weekend forecast at the end :D

That was shortlived, sun now out again, clouds now slightly north over central London

Edited by Jezzer

Posted

New convection now dropping light snow over Iwade and temp on way down after hitting 0.4c

James

Edit. Getting heavier!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

It seems now that the showers / spells of snow are taking a different course. Only a couple of hours ago, there was what appeared to be a streamer running East - West through The Wash, heading towards the Peterborough Area.

It then started to very slowly draw southwards, before moving away. The current bulk of showers on the radar for this area show a pronounced North East - South West direction...

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

RAMSGATE , DOVER , MARGATE You really need a more northerly element to the wind your best chance is late saturday...

North Kent , Mid Kent , West kent we need a North Easterly which is likely to pick up later

London , Surrey would favour a more easterly element to the winds.

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

It seems now that the showers / spells of snow are taking a different course. Only a couple of hours ago, there was what appeared to be a streamer running East - West through The Wash, heading towards the Peterborough Area.

It then started to very slowly draw southwards, before moving away. The current bulk of showers on the radar for this area show a pronounced North East - South West direction...

dry.gif Nothing again for us then? This is getting ridiculous!

Posted

Can someone please tell me if Surrey is due any snow on sat-monday. Every forcast I watch is different

Yes late saturday onwards best chance

Posted

'Noon tcc, same here in Benny Hill!

Nice one!

And now it's stopped! haha! Well at least that means it's snowed everyday since Tuesday! :lol: Looks like we might get some more later on tonight as we're on the Surrey border, so hopefully might see something from the streamer, and then obviously there is the weekend....

Posted

As somebody else said a few pages earlier, once the precip starts showing on the radar over the weekend then expect Flash Notices and the nice Red (Take Action) Notices to become widespread across EA & SE England

From the Meto - This is for Days 3-5 for Eastern Counties

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Bitterly cold and strong easterly winds bringing further significant snowfall, especially during Sunday and early Monday. Lying snow is likely to drift in the strong winds.

Updated: 0219 on Fri 8 Jan 2010

Paul S

i see our weather advisory has been taken away from monday, although now there is one for the south west mon/tues. could this be for the low coming up from the south west trying to break up the cold weather. read today that it might just become a channel low and could hit our region latter next week,

"We are keeping a watchful eye on Tuesday to Thursday of next week. There are hints of an area of low pressure drifting through southwestern areas and through the Channel. It could be that this brings a period of significant snow to more southern parts of the British Isles" from weatheronline

Posted

I Think Dave is referring to Sea Level Steve

Remember we are 6 Miles from the Sea and have quite a bit if elevation so should be okay, I am pretty confident of this, remember the zero degree Isotherm will be dragged down with heavier precip!

Paul S

Hmmm. Ok for you guys. But for me, i'm resigned to sleet and wet snow at best. Although I'm not right on the coast, I'm in Southchurch.

i see our weather advisory has been taken away from monday, although now there is one for the south west mon/tues. could this be for the low coming up from the south west trying to break up the cold weather. read today that it might just become a channel low and could hit our region latter next week,

"We are keeping a watchful eye on Tuesday to Thursday of next week. There are hints of an area of low pressure drifting through southwestern areas and through the Channel. It could be that this brings a period of significant snow to more southern parts of the British Isles" from weatheronline

Yep. That goes wrong and bang goes the cold spell rather quickly. In the South anyway.

Posted

Very much an east of region affair this. Not expecting anything in my SW London location - slightly enhanced chance of a bit more activity back home this evening in SE London/NW Kent borders.

Forgive me for replying to myself... Flurry of snow here now in SW London/surrey borders. Nothing much to speak of but perhaps indicative of the shift in wind direction needed for this location. Definitely a more easterly element now. Intersting viewing ahead.

Posted

Predicted rainfall(snow)

30wv78x.jpg

3495203.jpg

Tomorrow Evening :lol:

vryiit.jpg

Posted

tbh wish the meto would make up there minds its making me dizzy when they keep upgrading and down grading every few hours:lol:

Edited by honey*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

dry.gif Nothing again for us then? This is getting ridiculous!

I don't think you'll see anything substantial for the next few hours at least, unfortunately :(

Edited by we1330

Posted

Recently been updated in the Warnings:

Heavy Snow 2000 Sat 9 1000 Sun 10

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Kent, East Sussex and eastern parts of West Sussex. Outbreaks of snow starting on Saturday afternoon will become heavy and persistent during the evening and last into Sunday morning. 7 to 12 cm of fresh level snow are expected widely with 10 to 20 cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Issued at: 1206 Fri 8 Jan

Easy,Careful what you wish for,never under estimate drifting snow,all good fun,but can get very isolating as this pic of 1987 at Lenham proves ,courtesy of R Smith

post-8172-12629569500952_thumb.jpg