Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

A new untouched fred for you all to trash!!!! :rolleyes:

Be nice to your fellow man (and woman) and be careful what you wish for, this weekend is shaping up to be a classic for us in EA and the SE!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Very light and tiny snow flakes fluttering in the air now in Nunhead, nothing that exciting but it's a start! :rolleyes:

Posted

As somebody else said a few pages earlier, once the precip starts showing on the radar over the weekend then expect Flash Notices and the nice Red (Take Action) Notices to become widespread across EA & SE England

From the Meto - This is for Days 3-5 for Eastern Counties

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Bitterly cold and strong easterly winds bringing further significant snowfall, especially during Sunday and early Monday. Lying snow is likely to drift in the strong winds.

Updated: 0219 on Fri 8 Jan 2010

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Showers are now starting to pop up off the East Anglian coast... the ppn off the NE of England looks to be taking a more SW course now...so all eyes NE for showers now forming in the NSea

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Showers are now starting to pop up off the East Anglian coast... the ppn off the NE of England looks to be taking a more SW course now...so all eyes NE for showers now forming in the NSea

Noticed this aswell , probably the late afternoon snow

Posted

Interesting that the MetO's latest longer range forecast still mentions cold all through next week and start of the week after.

I say interesting because this is based on the more recent data available to them.

Ok so not looking at snow prospects etc, but I am intrigued by this hint of cold remaining all through next week.

Posted

sun is out, blue sky all over. Here comes the thaw...

Lucky you, we're clouded over here. It's -1.5, theres 28 inch icicles hanging from all the roofs which at times are falling off, the constant drip of water is p8ssing me off and the breeze is absolutely perishing.The sooner this goes the better.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Is it going to be marginal for Norwich?

No everyone is at risk , it's been snowing in herne bay right on the beach

Posted

Well Im looking out to a bright blue sky, not a cloud in sight!!! Shame its not August really.......

Posted

As somebody else said a few pages earlier, once the precip starts showing on the radar over the weekend then expect Flash Notices and the nice Red (Take Action) Notices to become widespread across EA & SE England

From the Meto - This is for Days 3-5 for Eastern Counties

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Bitterly cold and strong easterly winds bringing further significant snowfall, especially during Sunday and early Monday. Lying snow is likely to drift in the strong winds.

Updated: 0219 on Fri 8 Jan 2010

Paul S

Recently been updated in the Warnings:

Heavy Snow 2000 Sat 9 1000 Sun 10

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Kent, East Sussex and eastern parts of West Sussex. Outbreaks of snow starting on Saturday afternoon will become heavy and persistent during the evening and last into Sunday morning. 7 to 12 cm of fresh level snow are expected widely with 10 to 20 cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Issued at: 1206 Fri 8 Jan

Posted

Noticed this aswell , probably the late afternoon snow

The showers off the Netherlands coast are the ones you should keep an eye on. Looking at them now, and with the idea they will get heavier as well. Kent is in for some action for sure.

Posted

Reading Dave's ( thanks..! ) take on the weekend, I guess its marginal for South Essex, Leigh-on-Sea ...?

regards,

Steve

I Think Dave is referring to Sea Level Steve

Remember we are 6 Miles from the Sea and have quite a bit if elevation so should be okay, I am pretty confident of this, remember the zero degree Isotherm will be dragged down with heavier precip!

Paul S

Posted

That shower on Raintoday has now reached here, snowing lightly at the moment, but with reasonably big flakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

John Hammond on BBC News just predicted that heavy snow across the South East and London too from Saturday into Sunday, looking like there's agreement now :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

To think places in Kent that already have say 10cm, with warnings of upto 10cm late PM/tonight and then upto another 20cm on Sat night....You do the Maths.... many places in the SE could see impressive depths by end of the weekend!

Posted

That shower on Raintoday has now reached here, snowing lightly at the moment, but with reasonably big flakes!

'Noon tcc, same here in Benny Hill!

Posted

Hey everyone, My first post in ages under a new name, I used to be "theredarrows" "Arrows" etc but have re-appeared as theredarrows. Lovely snow here in IPSWICH. What a difference a few miles make. In Ipswich the other day it was dry and clear, and in Felixstowe 4" of snow. Again last night, a fair dumping of snow in the Pinewood area of the town, whereas on the other side 6" of snow in the Bucklesham area. I crashed my car last night and snapped my alloy on my wheel and have hurt my foot, bloody ice.

Now the interesting weather comes as the sky news forcast this morning bigged up the weekend, and especially Sunday with regards to not only EASTERN areas getting snow but also the midlands and parts of the south accompanied by strong NE/E winds driving them in off the coast. As I understand it Germany, Poland and areas surrounding are being pounded by the snow and this is what will be working in over the next 24/36hrs. I'd like an expert opinion off the experienced names and confident names I recognise off here as tbh I'm actually worried about depths for this part of the world. IPSWICH is an old fashioned town and like most old towns everything is in the centre and surrounding houses and estates are built up the top of hills. I just worry that the roads will get jammed as it seems the council have given up in this area as they're fighting a losing battle.

So please, enlighten me for a sensible opinion, Regards, R.A

Posted

Very much an east of region affair this. Not expecting anything in my SW London location - slightly enhanced chance of a bit more activity back home this evening in SE London/NW Kent borders. I often find though that in such a set-up, once the convective feeds lock into a pattern it generally sticks (Feb 09 being a classic example when I did extremely well back home). I would expect those that currently have snow to have more and more snow with surrounding areas picking up scraps; unless, of course, there is a notable shift in wind direction but that would be a surprise just now.

Posted

I Think Dave is referring to Sea Level Steve

Remember we are 6 Miles from the Sea and have quite a bit if elevation so should be okay, I am pretty confident of this, remember the zero degree Isotherm will be dragged down with heavier precip!

Paul S

Many thanks Paul :D

regards,

Steve

Posted

It may not be showing up on the radar yet but there is more convection now kicking off in N Kent over the estuary. Snow showers clouds apparant and moving in over Sheppey and beyond.

These I guess will develop further during the afternoon and evening.

Just heard the 12.57 Radio 4 forecast and actually mentioned areas around the Medway Towns for tonight and potentially disruptive snow and also the heavy snow forecast for the SE tomorrow afternoon and night, spreading to other southern areas during sunday.

Finished by still saying 'No end in sight'

James

Posted

John Hammond on BBC News just predicted that heavy snow across the South East and London too from Saturday into Sunday, looking like there's agreement now :D

Yes, for balance though, it was only late morning this morning that Surrey was included in what is now an east of region set up. Just too much northerly in the mix at the moment.