Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hey Wayney, we have had moderate to heavy snow for around 20-25 mins now!

Hey Saint, Same here. The radar is going to be best friends with a lot of poeple today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

looking good will it drift too far west do you think?

It lookes like a conveyor belt stretching upwind right towards us... Intensifying all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

You can see why weather events of old perhaps allowed people to just enjoy the experience, you basically had radio, some TV forecasts and it obviously appeared to just happen and eventually just thaw. Expectations other than for perhaps the real pro's in those days who had access to whatever data was available, were never really able to be raised and dashed for the general public quite so quickly as they are now.

Communication tools (twitter/facebook/forums etc) allow people to almost report on every forecast or what is on the radar to friends, family and people afar.

It really is now quite an exceptional rollercoaster following what will, won't or might happen and whilst in some ways that in itself is a buzz, it does seem to account for why people get so downbeat the minute they here a slightly negative forecast.

We just seem to have access to so much information and therefore misinformation, it is now more about knowing who and what to refer to, to get some idea of what is about to happen.

Yep, totally agree. I remember as a child waking up to totally unexpected snow was a fantastic experience, now not waking up to snow when you expect it is such a let down for so many people, just shows that certain aspects of forecasting are still very hit and miss. All good fun though, can't beat the drama :drinks:

Posted

Localised, none in the centre.

It lasted less than a minute and really was not worth posting about! it has gone very dark over in the east now!

Winds are now ENE & beginning to push the showers inland-

In this situation IN ORDER OF PRIORITY these are the main areas that get hit- ( Norfolk is usually a lottery)

North / central Kent, South Suffolk,East Kent, South Essex NW kent,West Sussex / east Sussex + surrey Herts/cambs , Greater London-

Flow off the Estuary is QUITE streamer territory- we need another 10 degrees of easterly ( try the gfs 78 charts)-

Is beginning to build now though-

Top spots for me today- Whitstable up to Sittingbourne- gradually moving West up towards bluewater / dartford-

Also felixstowe again on the northern side of the Estuary-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

In this situation IN ORDER OF PRIORITY these are the main areas that get hit- ( Norfolk is usually a lottery)

North / central Kent, South Suffolk, South Essex NW kent,West Sussex / east Sussex + surrey Herts/cambs , Greater London-

Flow off the Estuary is QUITE streamer territory- we need another 10 degrees of easterly ( try the gfs 78 charts)-

Top spots for me today- Whitstable up to Sittingbourne- gradually moving West up towards bluewater / dartford-

S

I'm happy with where it is just for the moment Steve :drinks:

Posted

Hi all

Just a quick question for the more knowledgeble on the forum.

Is East London expected to get any of this snow today or is it all further east today?

My wife asked me as she works in Basildon and wonders what her journey down the A13 back to Barking may entail later.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

There's a thumb sticking up from North/west France and it is heading for East Kent on the Radar... more snow?

Posted

PPN really building just E of me in the Estuary mouth. Exciting times...

If this misses me i'm going to cry! :drinks:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Hi all

Just a quick question for the more knowledgeble on the forum.

Is East London expected to get any of this snow today or is it all further east today?

My wife asked me as she works in Basildon and wonders what her journey down the A13 back to Barking may entail later.

Thanks in advance.

Might if the Thames Streamer comes into play :drinks:

Posted

It lookes like a conveyor belt stretching upwind right towards us... Intensifying all the time.

YES! radar looking good just need that to carry on growing now it's trying to snow atm

Posted

There's a thumb sticking up from North/west France and it is heading for East Kent on the Radar... more snow?

i've been watching that blob and it's really shifting too....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Hi Jason

I am along the way at Peacehaven.

Is this 'Streamer' travelling West or South West, or might it slide right past us !!

Just your thoughts as I do not have access to the radars.

Cheers

Its pretty much 2 streams running from NE down to WSW, been flirting with the coast of Eastbourne for hours now, stopped currently. Not sure if it will make it over to you, ive got my fingers crossed for us both! Below is the last 5 min radar so you can see how close it keeps it.

post-157-12629467594452_thumb.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

YES! radar looking good just need that to carry on growing now it's trying to snow atm

WooHoo! Chucking it down niow! This just arrived out of nowhere! Convection from the sea perhaps? Love the way these showers just form from nothing!

Posted

latest bbc n24 forcast has totallly back tracked on showers for today and tomorrow in south east, as they have done for the last three days. essex and kent coasts should still do well, but not much inland according to them

Posted

Looks like we had a small amount of new snow overnight in Rochester, but nothing at all today. Is there some more on the way or is our main worry just the iced up snow sticking around for a while?

Posted

Remember as some others mentioned last night, we have some things in our favour today, wind direction, strength, upper temps which will cause more instability and these showers will go much further inland today.

Should be a good top up for some locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Wind direction more Easterly in the last hour, now my showers have to come 100 miles from the coast - nothing left by the time they get to me wallbash.gif

Do I see a streamer setting up just North of Peterborough?

Posted

We had a sprinkle earlier, quite a bit but short lived. Surrounding areas seem to be getting it though (apart from MK :pardon:). Fingers crossed that we get some more.

Posted

North / central Kent, South Suffolk,East Kent, South Essex NW kent,West Sussex / east Sussex + surrey Herts/cambs , Greater London-

S

Can u include Clacton in with Felixstowe please,if it the same??

we did quite well last night and it seemed what felixstowe got we got half hour later

I have seen more snow here in last 24hrs than ever before and i'm not that young either ( as from sunday a yr older )