Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Wow just came over BLACK and the wind suddenly whipped up then BANG snow everywhere lovely sized flakes etc lasted about 30 mins topped everything up nicely

More needed pls

It's headed my direction, hopefully it will last the trip so i get a top-up. ;)

Posted

v67l9v.jpg

This might be the heavy snow due tonight , good clumps of cloud moving towards the north sea

That's aiming right for us, I think...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I live over Preston Park way. The light snow has stopped now however according the the radar we have snow on and off all day today cold.gif

Even if its not much - we have Sat/Sun & Mon to look forward too.. drunk.gifyahoo.gif

I have to somehow make it to B&Q or somewhere to get a sledge (the gritters here are non existant except on the main roads) - hopefully they haven't sold out otherwise I will be forced to use the tray...!!

its very very lightly snowing here again now good.gif

Ah yes I read the same. I dont live here but work here and I am not moving from ere this weekend now.....might PM you - dont have internet access at weekend and would be good to be communication with a NW person over the weekend!

I could see the band of snow from my window here at work over the sea now...and yes Sat and Sun etc

heeh dont suppost you knwo where I can get some better footwear (wellies perhaps. not too spenny) over the weekend. Am staying in Hove. Obviously I wont drive!

PB.....

ooh looks clearer NE again...

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

Very light snow in Bromley now...

DS

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Looking like a clearer slot now heading for Kent but weak convection is firing quite quickly over land and I would expect that effect to increase as the breeze picks up later.

In fact more moderate snow due for Kent later tonight and once this sets in it's looking increasingly likely that there will be continued sporadic snowfall for Kent until the more general snow hits later on Saturday into Sunday.

There coud be some local large accumulations, widespread reports of 4-6 inches of snow on the ground now and with little thaw I wouldn't be suprised to see some reports of levels in excess of 10 inches by the end of the weekend in some spots.

As ever, local effects of showers means that some areas get more than others.

Indeed... had pretty much shower after shower this morning - level depth now between 5-6 inches here. Sun briefly out at mo & temp had risen to the dizzy heights of minus 0.8c

Drove along A20 this morning and could see its started drifting in places, esp near here ( between Lenham & Charing on North Downs ) - a notorious spot for drifting if that wind picks up as forecast.

Potential issue I see is if the channel tunnel stops running again and / or Operation Stack is implemented over the next few days especially with more snow forecast.

All traffic is then diverted onto A20 which then always gets snarled up or v slow moving - hopefully I'm not tempting fate here ;)

Posted

Despite it currently snowing lightly, it is also very slowly thawing as well. Temp is -0.1C currently - not looking good!

-1.1c. dp....-2.6c rh...85% ,no thawing here ...yet:)

Posted

Lovely fat flakes here in Chesham, Bucks....wasn't expecting this from the forecast. The latest weather report from Sky news is there is no early end to the situation and lots more snow for the south east to come until the middle of January ;) Not sure what I am going to do with my twelve year old son though, his school is a long distance away and we are snowed in here.

Posted

A few flakes blowing around in the wind. Current temperature -1.7cThe dripping of water of the roof is starting to get on my nerves now. I'm going to go insane. Atrleast there's a few hours of work available later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I see the Met O have gone with the NAE with regards to Sun. However a word of caution this isn't backed by the GFS which IMO is very reliable with its precip forecasts upto +48. Also the 0Z NAE didn't suggest a streamer. Only get excited if this continues in the NAE output.

However here is how I see Sat night/Sun.

The enhanced precip around the thames into Sussex makes perfect sense due to the ENE,ly flow. As we progress through Sunday the flow changes to a E,ly. This will mean the heavier precip will move N into Norfolk, Cambs and spreading W across to Midlands/Wales as shown by the 06Z GFS. This again makes sense because the precip is enhanced with the longer fetch across the N Sea. The areas likely to be affected by the heaviest snowfalls is Sussex and W parts of Norfolk. Simple reason isn't just to the amount of falling snow but the distance inland away from the influence of the warmer N Sea. The GFS predicts temps as igh as 3/4C around Kent and coastal areas of Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk.

And why are you not in the Midlands thread? :rolleyes:

Posted

cc_confused.gif

Well what with the backlogs and the potential for even greater snow, he may be one of the many hundreds spending the first part of his holiday in West Sussex (South Terminal floor)

Hmm indeed, well if his flight is delayed, which to be fair has a high probablity, perhaps I can get a lie in.

Foolishly said I would take him as it would mean my mother being left with his rear wheel drive affair which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard in this weather!

James

Posted

New thread coming shortly, closing this one in 5,4,3,2......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I see the Met O have gone with the NAE with regards to Sun. However a word of caution this isn't backed by the GFS which IMO is very reliable with its precip forecasts upto +48. Also the 0Z NAE didn't suggest a streamer. Only get excited if this continues in the NAE output.

However here is how I see Sat night/Sun.

The enhanced precip around the thames into Sussex makes perfect sense due to the ENE,ly flow. As we progress through Sunday the flow changes to a E,ly. This will mean the heavier precip will move N into Norfolk, Cambs and spreading W across to Midlands/Wales as shown by the 06Z GFS. This again makes sense because the precip is enhanced with the longer fetch across the N Sea. The areas likely to be affected by the heaviest snowfalls is Sussex and W parts of Norfolk. Simple reason isn't just to the amount of falling snow but the distance inland away from the influence of the warmer N Sea. The GFS predicts temps as igh as 3/4C around Kent and coastal areas of Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk.

Thanks for the update TEITS, presumably South East London, as well as Greater London as a whole is likely to be affected by Sunday's snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Drifting snow is going to be the big news this weekend for our region. Even with only 5 to 10 cm this could give serious problems! drunk.gif

Posted

And why are you not in the Midlands thread? :rolleyes:

Have no fear mate im planning on moving to the Midlands thread this afternoon onwards.

Posted

TBH we haven't really seen much out of this spell so far. Half an inch before Christmas and not much more than another inch out of this snowy period. Nowhere near the amounts we saw in Feb 2009 where we had a good foot in a day. Doesn't look like we're going to see a massive dumping in the immediate future either. We really need a true Thames streamer or a big frontal battleground to get decent amounts here - just not in the right geographical location...

DS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Ah yes I read the same. I dont live here but work here and I am not moving from ere this weekend now.....might PM you - dont have internet access at weekend and would be good to be communication with a NW person over the weekend!

I could see the band of snow from my window here at work over the sea now...and yes Sat and Sun etc

heeh dont suppost you knwo where I can get some better footwear (wellies perhaps. not too spenny) over the weekend. Am staying in Hove. Obviously I wont drive!

PB.....

ooh looks clearer NE again...

yes, pm me & i'll give you my email address...

i work from home, so am working not but a lot of people didn't make it into the office over the last couple of days.

the snow has stopped here again - it seems to not want to get started properly. according to the radar, it should get going again in a couple of hours, around 3pm.

i think your best bet for the wellies would be primark near churchill square - depending on how far into hove you work, it could be walkable... hope you find a pair smile.gif

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Been snowing lightly for last hour and a half in centre of Tunbridge Wells, giving a covering on bare surfaces which have been cleared. Getting heavier now but with small flakes.