Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Health and Safety officialdom ruins everything nowadays

you cant do anything nowadays because of Health and Safety bonfires at bonfire nights is just one that springs to mind i spent hours as a child collecting peoples rubbish to burn on guy fawkes night next it will be halloween aggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Was the ice at the required thickness ? It couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 mights frost away even if it wasn't quite there yet. Doesn't seem like that was the issue, otherwise they would have just said that the ice wasn't thick enough - at least not yet. Thats not what they said though...

Quote: "not proved possible to address all health and safety concerns and receive the full backing of the Emergency Services within the timescales involved."

Eh ? I give up !!!

At risk of repeating myself, this country has lost it re 'Elf and Safety. But no matter, for there are more of us with spirit than there are penpushers trying to suck the joy out of life.

We shall prevail. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

That was easily the coldest shift I've ever worked in today. Still -8c at the moment, so no idea what it was first thing when out and about.. -12c maybe

cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

My OH is prob still out delivering he is not happy either, it has taken him nearly 5 hours some days this week because of snow and ice. He does not share my enthusiasm for wanting more snow biggrin.gif .

Posted

Right now, am feeling a combination of gutted and pure rage. You wait 31 years for the weather to co-operate and then some penpusher kyboshes one of the greatest Scottish sporting occasions that can be had?

It's a joke.

My god, when the press get hold of this, they'll have a field day.

There is nothing stopping this game from going ahead other than the fact that no public organisation is willing to accept the financial responsibilty should a tragic accident occur.

This is a litigious society we live in and unfortunately accidents and personal responsibility are no longer recognised as part of our culture.

There is no crime being committed by any person wishing to go ahead and have a curling match on the loch. The emergency services will respond if necessary as they have a duty to do. In my opinion there is far less risk to life than those numpties that think mountain climbing is safe at this time of year.

Go ahead and have your game, there is nothing anybody can do to stop you :good:

Posted

There is nothing stopping this game from going ahead other than the fact that no public organisation is willing to accept the financial responsibilty should a tragic accident occur.

This is a litigious society we live in and unfortunately accidents and personal responsibility are no longer recognised as part of our culture.

There is no crime being committed by any person wishing to go ahead and have a curling match on the loch. The emergency services will respond if necessary as they have a duty to do. In my opinion there is far less risk to life than those numpties that think mountain climbing is safe at this time of year.

Go ahead and have your game, there is nothing anybody can do to stop you :good:

Exactly.

Posted

Exactly.

people have been out on the ice all week; mum and bro walked out to an island yesterday and said that it is absolutely stunning!

I am going skating there tomorrow (can't wait); I have no plans to sue anyone if I break a leg.

Posted

Can't believe the Grand Match has been called off. Are we regressing as a nation? What is so different from 30 years ago when the last one was held? Sign a waiver form, if need be, that you won't sue anyone if you break a leg or fall through the ice before taking part in the event.... humbug!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You can see a bunch of cloud pushing down from the NW, dropping snow as it comes. Haw far east or south it will get is another matter.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Aye, Lady P. I can see its leading edge. Will inform about any White Stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I don't know the ins and outs of this (so pardon my ignorance) ... but why is there any need for insurance anyway ? I would have thought the opposite would be true eg sign an absolute disclaimer as you step onto the ice (ie that you don't hold the Royal Caledonian in any way responsible for anything...) , and then whether you break your toenail (possible) or die trapped under the ice (almost impossible I'd think) , then its your lookout .... No ????

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Can't believe the Grand Match has been called off. Are we regressing as a nation? What is so different from 30 years ago when the last one was held? Sign a waiver form, if need be, that you won't sue anyone if you break a leg or fall through the ice before taking part in the event.... humbug!!!

Aye mate. Typical modern-day paranoia! Why don't they just put health warnings on snow?? :yahoo:;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Lake of Mentieth? That's a rare one, there can't be many more than a handfull lakes in Scotland!

Posted

Lake of Mentieth? That's a rare one, there can't be many more than a handfull lakes in Scotland!

It's twinned with Spey Valley! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Isn't it the only one??

Posted

The only one I think! Shocking decision by the RCCC - surely waivers signed before going on the ice would have been fine, and they've now spoiled the possibility of a unique event happening. :D

sss

Posted

The only one I think! Shocking decision by the RCCC - surely waivers signed before going on the ice would have been fine, and they've now spoiled the possibility of a unique event happening. :wallbash:

sss

Don't worry, the press is onto it. There are a lot of curlers who are fizzing about the decision. A signed waiver is all they need legally from each participant and then 'Elf & Safety can shove their red tape right up their ****s along with their clipboards and generally joyless existence.

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

You'd think they'd be able to make an exception for something that can only happen so very rarely! There is something wrong with these people! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::cray: :cray:

Posted

You'd think they'd be able to make an exception for something that can only happen so very rarely! There is something wrong with these people! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::cray: :cray:

Aye, Pete: they've nae gumption and even less spirit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It is such a shame that the Grand Match isn't going ahead right away. I certainly hope that the relevant authorities can get their act together and sort out the Health and Safety. - As everyone has said its gone mad here - too extreme with do and don'ts. Although the Health and Safety is sadly lacking in many parts of the world and sometimes its a common sense approach thats needed!!

Posted

If none of the forecasts are to be believed, then why are they all so far off the mark? Or is it case that they can general overview of temps and say wind direction, then we have to apply local rules. The most obvious is North winds and snow down the east of Scotland. Never happens. I have almost never seem snow showers make it to Dundee from the North. Then you have west winds and they say showers down the west coast, but these showers will almost always make it through the central belt because no mountains

If thats the case how on a direct NE wind do the showers always miss Edinburgh there is no mountains in the way!! As what happened the last few days

Posted

. In my opinion there is far less risk to life than those numpties that think mountain climbing is safe at this time of year.

That sort of statement is just as ignorant as the pen pushers that stopped the grand match taking place. :drinks:

Edited by skifreak

Posted

I am no weather expert by any means but my opinion looking at mondays fax chart, that is a long fetch of ESE winds coming over the north sea surely showers will develop. Any views??