Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Thanks Catch, Dh is dear husband, or darn if you like lol. I am sure we will manage but yeah some major cutbacks are coming. Most probably the heating being one. We have 3 kids, 12,9 and one so will do what we can to keep them warm.

My heart goes out to you!! We've managed fine so far because I've still had pay coming in and nothing has changed until about next week when my pay runs out and things like working tax credit finish. We were lucky in a way that we have survived on very little for the last 6 years when I've been a student and MrsCatch doesn't work, so it's not going to be much different from normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I find this hard to believe but Net Weather is going for snow this evening over the whole of North / East/ Central scotland?? Almost everywhere seems to be getting it. If you run the GSF precip for the UK, you can see it and if you run the snow risk, its the same.

Seems strange, any thoughts on this???cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

It would be a pleasant surprise, SL33. Especially, as the beeb were going for dry and sunny, apart from a few wintry showers??? :drinks::cray:

Posted

I do work, but they have zero overtime so am stuck with a 12 hour week. Fingers crossed we will get some help until something comes up. Hes a plumber so if people have burst pipes etc then he could get a few jobs there. Swings and roundabouts really.

What everyones take on the weather thats being forecast for weekend? it seems theres a few different forecasts.

Good morning, Graeme...Welcome to the loony bin! :drinks::cray::cray::clap::good::cold::rofl:

If ever there was an escape from a virtual lunatic asylum on the internet, the cordon would be put round NetWeather immediately as if any of the loonies got in here, the authorities would never be able to identify them amongst us "normal" members.

Posted

It would be a pleasant surprise, SL33. Especially, as the beeb were going for dry and sunny, apart from a few wintry showers??? unsure.gifunsure.gif

Sounds like the meto forecast yet gmtv weather is going for a snowy day in Scotland

I do work, but they have zero overtime so am stuck with a 12 hour week. Fingers crossed we will get some help until something comes up. Hes a plumber so if people have burst pipes etc then he could get a few jobs there. Swings and roundabouts really.

What everyones take on the weather thats being forecast for weekend? it seems theres a few different forecasts.

Fingers crossed regarding some work then!! :drinks:

As for the weather, I think we should start from an assumption that it is going to be very cold and probably dry, and then just radar watch for snow potential. Cold weather is a given, precip is just the frozen icing on the cold cake!

Posted

Sp33 meto has us as dry tonight and a low risk of snow at the coasts tomorrow, but if i am right the meto fax chart said something different....confused!cc_confused.gif

Not the way I read it. Like a few other areas, you dont become affected till midnight, we start at 2100. Aberdeen at about 1500.

Here is yours........with a 87% risk.........trust me I am not convinced either, but wondered what everyone thinks??

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;type=free;ct=7425~Cowdenbeath;sess=#forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sounds like the meto forecast yet gmtv weather is going for a snowy day in Scotland

Well, judging from the NW radar and the 100% azure-blue sky, I'd err on the side of the Met??? :unsure:

Posted

Not the way I read it. Like a few other areas, you dont become affected till midnight, we start at 2100. Aberdeen at about 1500.

Here is yours........with a 87% risk.........trust me I am not convinced either, but wondered what everyone thinks??

http://www.netweathe...;sess=#forecast

Unless I'm wrong - the meto fax chart (posted earlier) would indicate that some activity is heading our way overnight - though beeb weather are saying the opposite...

It's times like this that really confuse me..

Posted

http://www.netweathe...;sess=#forecast

The last few times we have had heavy snow that netweather snow chance forecast has been spot on so maybe?? Will just tell myself its going to be dry then if it snows its a bonus lol

Unless I'm wrong - the meto fax chart (posted earlier) would indicate that some activity is heading our way overnight - though beeb weather are saying the opposite...

It's times like this that really confuse me..

Thats what i thought, maybe we are reading it wrong lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

extremely foggy here now, cant see the other side of the loch here at all....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Morin all

Another disappointing night, thought Perth might of have gotten a few more showers during the night but looks like the wind changed direction wallbash.gif . It was -11.2 this morin when I left for work, I think we will beat that tonight!!! Hoping might get some snow this weekend smile.gif .

extremely foggy here now, cant see the other side of the loch here at all....

I saw the extreme fog in Glasgow behind the newsreader this morning. The sun is splitting the sky here, so it must be foggy along the rivers and lochs in the west. I wish I had a car today as there is probably one of those "fog rivers" flowing down the Clyde estuary just to the north of me.

Posted

I have family coming up from South Coast on Thursday next week.

Anyone want to predict what the forecast is likely to be for this area please?

Looking at charts, I become more and more confused.......will it become slightly milder(I use the word advisedly) or remain fairly cold?

I suppose I am more concerned about the snow risk driving through Scotland! Help from you more seasoned chart readers would be appreciated.

Posted

morning all, lovely sunny cold.gif day in Edinburgh - beautiful! A good view of the feeezing fog burning off the south side of town from the Edinburgh Uni webcam, but view it soon as the loop dynamically updates:

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/abs/Weathercam/wcam.html

Chilly night in the Highlands too - wonder if it will stay clear enough for another shot at remarkable cold temperatures tonight?

sss

Posted

Thanks for the welcomes:)

Really is a beautiful crisp morning here in St Andrews with the fresh cover of snow.

Looking ahead, and reading the posts above, will be interesting to see what happens in the next 48 hours. Like others I wonder if we might see some snow, especially as the cold upper level air crosses the North Sea, although with pressure remaining high to the north I would have thought any accumulations would be light?

I have family coming up from South Coast on Thursday next week.

Anyone want to predict what the forecast is likely to be for this area please?

Looking at charts, I become more and more confused.......will it become slightly milder(I use the word advisedly) or remain fairly cold?

I suppose I am more concerned about the snow risk driving through Scotland! Help from you more seasoned chart readers would be appreciated.

I would say it will still be cold, however, if they are not coming until Thursday next week perhaps you should wait until Monday or even Tuesday to see what is happening. Sorry if that's a rubbish answer, but the models seem to be chewing over their thoughts just now, and it will not be clear exactly what is happening until after the weekend.

Posted

I would say it will still be cold, however, if they are not coming until Thursday next week perhaps you should wait until Monday or even Tuesday to see what is happening. Sorry if that's a rubbish answer, but the models seem to be chewing over their thoughts just now, and it will not be clear exactly what is happening until after the weekend.

More or less the conclusion I had come to myself...........but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Posted

Some greaphotos there - particularly like the Glen Affric ones hi.gif Someone posted the 1km res satellite image of the UK from MODIS - for those who don't know, you can also see a 250m per pixel resolution version of the same image if you follow the relevant link from this page:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/

Very pretty!

sss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Very light dusting of new snow last night here. It was sooo cold here last night!

Schools back today and they've managed to clear a track into the school doors (only two open) and thats it - no playground today!

I'm surprised that some forecasts are going for snow here this weekend - although there is a possibility but i would have thought small amounts of snow if any?

However a beautiful day appearing from the fog. The trees are white with snow and thick frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

looks amazing here CMD... i live about 150-200ft above the loch and fog has thinned right out at my height and its totally blue skies and white mountains yet im looking down on the fog still over the village and the loch... looks great!!

looks amazing here CMD... i live about 150-200ft above the loch and fog has thinned right out at my height and its totally blue skies and white mountains yet im looking down on the fog still over the village and the loch... looks great!!

That's exactly the vision I have in my head. Have seen that a few times recently on the drive over to Port Glasgow, it is a pretty sight :pardon::)

Any news on the trains? Or are you off today?