Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Posted

That last shower did a good job at Leith level. Fresh coat of white gloss on everything.

Better enjoy it here, mushing/slushing here tomorrow methinks. Think most of Embra will hold onto most of it, expecting the Cramond-Silverknowes-Granton-Leith-Portobello coastal strip to take most of the immediate warming. The slacker the flow, the less the damage. Too much snow elsewhere in town to lose it that quickly, even flirting with forthcoming marginality. We held onto it in similar-ish circumstances a couple of weeks ago, so expect the same to happen this week.

Still snowing lightly here - must have had about 2 or 3cms in the last 90 mins

Looking good on the radar too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

got up at 9.45am , so missed the heavy snowfall. But by the looks of it we've had a few cm's from it biggrin.gif

Another shower making it's way in by dunbar now , nothing here yet but looks as though it's turning rather light now

Posted

That last shower did a good job at Leith level. Fresh coat of white gloss on everything.

Better enjoy it here, mushing/slushing here tomorrow methinks. Think most of Embra will hold onto most of it, expecting the Cramond-Silverknowes-Granton-Leith-Portobello coastal strip to take most of the immediate warming. The slacker the flow, the less the damage. Too much snow elsewhere in town to lose it that quickly, even flirting with forthcoming marginality. We held onto it in similar-ish circumstances a couple of weeks ago, so expect the same to happen this week.

Hi there..smile.gif

I'm heading back to Edinburgh tomorrow (trains permitting), and judging by the latest charts I wouldn't be surprised to see some more snow tomorrow, not that marginal either, still some rather cold uppers. I would have thought pressure would be too high but just look at this morning! http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn061.png

Tuesday onwards it becomes much more marginal. Given how cold it is to the east though, at a guess, 850's -5C or below should do.

Edited by Joe Bloggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Nice one there Joe. Certainly one other good looking one out there to the east. One of these wacky days where everthing is slightly contradictory in terms of direction. The radar, looking at the clouds themselves and the wind direction all saying slightly different things .... between NNE and ESE it looks to me. Although we seem to get something regardless so what the heck.

My personal "weather target" for today - before any change tomorrow - is a modest one. Which is, if Edinburgh airport can just manage NOT to exceed 0c today, then we'll have had an ice week at that location .. 7 continuous days and nights below zero at the begiining of January. Many of us will have had a similar sub-zero week up and down the country. Been the best week of the entire spell here !

Still snowing lightly here - must have had about 2 or 3cms in the last 90 mins

Looking good on the radar too

Posted

acccording to the raintoday radar , i have a shower just to my east and looking out my window , we certinaly do have dark clouds , no snowfall yet

Posted

At the moment the North Sea looks interesting/promising but I've had no more than one very light flurry from it so far.

Whereabouts is the fog Lady P? (I was also planning on nipping out to take a few photos of the Dee later!)

I live by the Brig'O'Dee but it has pretty much cleared now.

Some pics - I took a walk along the river bank and ducked under the bridge at the Bridge of Dee. For those who know the aread - it was the river bank across the water from the Sainsbury, Asda, B&Q retail park. The very last shot is a quirky one I took from my bedroom window on the 22nd Dec, just for fun.

post-5343-12630357837742_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630357992342_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358089442_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358145342_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358204642_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358257542_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358436342_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630358585242_thumb.jpg

post-5343-12630359466642_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Ask Calum for directions on this one :blink:

What do you think the timing on that one is? I want to get out in the car !

Posted

still nothing here , but by the look of the clouds any showers that do come over are gonna be heading straight for tranent , wallyford , edinburgh etc..

Posted

Still going here. Bit lighter than it has been - 4cm so far this am.

By-tor - are the roads ok around Leith ? Wondering if the football is at risk ?

The kids are having a snow ball fight with the dog - its a bit one sided laugh.gif

Posted

Something I've posted in our Welsh thread and the South West , I'm sure you scots will know what I mean,

The Forecast Poetry Style,

Snow in the South east nothing in the West

Lets concentrate on London we don't care about the rest

We're funded by westminster, THe national Met

But never trust our forecasts if your placing a bet

Our GW agenda suits is to the core

We rabbing on day after day, the bore, bore , bore

Oh yes one coner of the map is more relevant than the rest

Yes you've got it the East and not the West

Sunday shall see widespread snow as long as its in the East

A dusting is significant well call it the Eastern Beast

The West will plough themselves out free

Whilst We consentrate on Essex, Kent and Surrey.

News 24 with its presenter across the country

Well within a 30 mile diameter of Essex, Kent and Surrey

Oh no it's an ice age 2cm in Buckingham

The tubes shut down and theres 50 miles traffic jams,

Let's concentrate on London because it's the South East

It's the worsly affected place from that Eastern Beast

We'll forget about the West and the shivering North

Our focuse lies solely on canary warf

By Me

Posted

had the horrible coastal warming here woke up to heavy rain and there is hardly any snow left and the temp is sitting at 3.5C

what a dissapointing night for the temperatures for trying to bet the record low

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

Thats whats so wacky. The clouds say yes ... but if I had to extrapolate from the radar, these showers themselves have a tiny bit of northwards direction in them rather than heading due east (would miss Embra etc). Time will tell, lots of interesting stuff happening in the atmosphere today that I don't have a clue about !

still nothing here , but by the look of the clouds any showers that do come over are gonna be heading straight for tranent , wallyford , edinburgh etc..

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Sun is out here, don't see any signs of new snow coming yet.

Thnx for the info guys re next week.

Off out for a bit to enjoy the snow.

Posted

Some grit was put down in the sidestreets round here yesterday Pol - best they've been for a week. Been funny up till that point watching several cars and lorries over the week failing to negotiate the 5 degree incline in the street I live in....

Match in no danger whatsoever...

Sun is out.

Still going here. Bit lighter than it has been - 4cm so far this am.

By-tor - are the roads ok around Leith ? Wondering if the football is at risk ?

The kids are having a snow ball fight with the dog - its a bit one sided laugh.gif

Edited by by-tor

Posted

I see the Metoffice detailed "5 day forecast" for individual east-coast towns and cities from Wick in the North ... down to Newcastle ... is indicating temps of 4,5,6 degrees from tomorrow onwards.

Which means either:

- snow melt will begin apace in these and neighbouring areas tomoroow with rapid slushing and the start of the loss of snow cover

or

- that temperature forecast is just another rank poor piece of computer generated forecasting

We'll know in 24-36 hours if the east coast giveth or taketh away whistling.gif

-

was looking through earlier posts i think its happened here already the temp is nearly 4C and its been raining overnight and we have very little snow

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

Yeah, i'd agree with the thaw for the East, we've already noticed it here...had quite abit of snow last night but its beginning to thaw...its actually warm outside!!! Cant believe i'd say that when its 3oC...just shows you what this cold spell has done to peoples perception of "warm" weather!!

I can stand outside with a jumper and not shiver its that warm...jacket, who needs a jacket!!

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

Sorry to hear that WB. Its the danger we all face down the east coast....theres as much pain as gain in this increasingly marginal situation for us coasties.

was looking through earlier posts i think its happened here already the temp is nearly 4C and its been raining overnight and we have very little snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Heavy snow here now, the charts are just all over the place just now.

That beast of a low in the south west progged to clash into the scandi high... wow..

Upper temps dropping and re-loading, neither ECM or GFS can decide on the impact or track of the low.

Definitely keep an eye on the stratospheric thread for the tropical wave impact on the polar region in T+10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Whiteout!! Huge flakes been falling for about half an hour and the road is totally covered again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, look at the -10 uppers moving-in from the East??

Anyhoo, it's time for a new thread... :clap: