Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Temp dropped to -12C at Glasgow Airport overnight which is one of the ten coldest nights since 1982. I will need to check later to see exactly where it ranks, but that is a very low temp for here.

I am just so thankful that the flat we are in has the most amazing heating system and very modern double glazed and extra insulated sash windows. I hate to think how cold we would have been in our last flat :drinks:

Posted

NW local forecast for Stirling showing snow overnight tonight :)

Haven't ventured out yet, but lowest temp from what I can see was -12 !

Unbelievable...

Posted

-11c here last night and another cm or two from last nights showers

Wonder if we might get a clip that from that band heading for NE England?

GFS pptn forecasts look good here the from tonight through Saturday

Posted

No snow for me, looks like we got the good old trusted snowdome up. Grr. Fingers crossed we get some on saturday. I think my weather station is wrong though, a low of -4.9 seems tropical compared to everywhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Last night and this morning can safely by summed up as pure baltic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Cold enough for everyone yet???

Another shocking night on the trains... giant icicles at glasgow high street put paid to most services last night with it looking the same today.

The clyde is starting to look amazing especially where the kelvin joins it at partick

Posted

Weatheronline are showing -33 for Benbecula....I think that's a mistake though...

Posted

Benbecula has been giving false readings for a while now. Wonder if the fuel payments will be madewhistling.gif

Meto forecast for central, Tayside and Fife for Saturday

Saturday:

Apart for a low risk of a coastal wintry shower, Saturday will be another fine dry crisp sunny winters day with some freezing fog patches and light winds. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

It is so cold this morning that we have turned the heating up to half :yahoo:

I really feel for people who have poor heating/insulation. Our last flat was so cold and damp at times we used to live in one room, huddled in a heap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

We have the heating on full 24hrs at the mo....

Posted

Well its - 11c here this morning quite mild really.This cold winter spell has been coming for a few years now as I have noticed a cooling over this period and as I have said before the return of fresh snow falling on the hills cver 3000 feet high in June and September in the last couple of summers and autumns is how I remember it in the sixties and early seventies. Last winter almost made it with regards to a severe cold spell with a return to feeding the sheep on the farm in late winter instead of moving them onto fresh growing grass every month of the winter as in the previous 25 years or so. The potential for a cool spring is there to if the North Sea gets back to more normal winter temperatures with the normally increased frequency of east and north winds in the spring

Half? Mine is up to full. I am so scared to get my gas bill, it's going to be worse since it looks like my Dh is going to be getting paid off todayclosedeyes.gif Oh wellwhistling.gif

Sorry to hear that about your other half (? not sure who Dh is!), I lost my job in December and it is not a nice feeling. Not too bad for me as it was only a 25 hour/week job and I'm also a student and I need to re-sit my dissertation between now and March. But it is still horrible to lose your job with all the financial worries which come along too.

Posted

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular poster over on TWO but I really like the fact there is a dedicated Scottish thread on here to keep up to date with local conditions so thought I would pitch in.

Displaced Glaswegian living in Fife (good to see lots of Fife posters on here!)

I have lived in (normally snow-free) Crail for the last 4 years but this winter has been special even there. Not for the low temperatures (lowest I've recorded is -4.5c) or the snow depth (5cm max) but rather the number of days with snow lying - talking to locals who have lived here for decades this has been truly exceptional.

Anyway we had a dusting of fresh snow over night and it was -3.5c when I left for work in St Andrews. Here it is -6c and there has been a cm of fresh snow.

Graeme

Posted

Thanks Catch, Dh is dear husband, or darn if you like lol. I am sure we will manage but yeah some major cutbacks are coming. Most probably the heating being one. We have 3 kids, 12,9 and one so will do what we can to keep them warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well its - 11c here this morning quite mild really.This cold winter spell has been coming for a few years now as I have noticed a cooling over this period and as I have said before the return of fresh snow falling on the hills cver 3000 feet high in June and September in the last couple of summers and autumns is how I remember it in the sixties and early seventies. Last winter almost made it with regards to a severe cold spell with a return to feeding the sheep on the farm in late winter instead of moving them onto fresh growing grass every month of the winter as in the previous 25 years or so. The potential for a cool spring is there to if the North Sea gets back to more normal winter temperatures with the normally increased frequency of east and north winds in the spring

Good morning, NL...There could be a nasty legacy in the form of thick persistent haar, come Spring and early Summer?? :drinks::cray:

Posted

I find this hard to believe but Net Weather is going for snow this evening over the whole of North / East/ Central scotland?? Almost everywhere seems to be getting it. If you run the GSF precip for the UK, you can see it and if you run the snow risk, its the same.

Seems strange, any thoughts on this???cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular poster over on TWO but I really like the fact there is a dedicated Scottish thread on here to keep up to date with local conditions so thought I would pitch in.

Displaced Glaswegian living in Fife (good to see lots of Fife posters on here!)

I have lived in (normally snow-free) Crail for the last 4 years but this winter has been special even there. Not for the low temperatures (lowest I've recorded is -4.5c) or the snow depth (5cm max) but rather the number of days with snow lying - talking to locals who have lived here for decades this has been truly exceptional.

Anyway we had a dusting of fresh snow over night and it was -3.5c when I left for work in St Andrews. Here it is -6c and there has been a cm of fresh snow.

Graeme

Good morning, Graeme...Welcome to the loony bin! :drinks::cray::cray::clap::good::cold::rofl: