Posted

In and around York this morning.

post-5508-12629563799952_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564044052_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564302052_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564703752_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564923452_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629565305652_thumb.jpg

Just started snowing again. - 10.2 °C @ 9am this morning here now -5 ! this is some cold spell here and up on the moors it must be really bad!

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Right,so a 2 day toppler with 2 inch of snow is a greater cold spell than a 1 month dryish spell with 1 inch of continuous snow cover and with temperatures always 1 degree or below?

Not really a fair comparison as the 2 day toppler only had 1 extra inch of snow so I of course I would have to say 1 month 1 inch of continuous snow cover.

PS: just started snowing here. :lol:

Posted

In and around York this morning.

post-5508-12629563799952_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564044052_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564302052_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564703752_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629564923452_thumb.jpg

post-5508-12629565305652_thumb.jpg

Just started snowing again.

good pics there WS Evolution drinks.gif just wish it was like that is cleethorpes unsure.gif

Posted

good pics there WS Evolution drinks.gif just wish it was like that is cleethorpes unsure.gif

Well apart from the snow retention on roofs and trees its pretty similar, I think the thaw (however small) is more marked here.

Edited by rikki

Posted

a stunning day here now, blue sky and sunshine, not alot of hope for snow here over the next cpl off days so i am going to enjoy looking at what is left on the ground which i would think will be gone by the end of tomorrow.

Posted

Not really a fair comparison as the 2 day toppler only had 1 extra inch of snow so I of course I would have to say 1 month 1 inch of continuous snow cover.

PS: just started snowing here. whistling.gif

Why isn't it a fair comparison? I said that snow isn't the only thing that determines how great a cold spell is, whereas you said it is. I don't want to argue anyway smile.gif

All the showers seem to be dying as they move inland unfortunately sad.gif

Posted

Why isn't it a fair comparison? I said that snow isn't the only thing that determines how great a cold spell is, whereas you said it is. I don't want to argue anyway smile.gif

All the showers seem to be dying as they move inland unfortunately sad.gif

You just added the words 'the only thing' which wasn't apart of the original post, but like you say its not worth arguing over.

But snowfall makes a cold spell, 3 weeks of extensive cold temperatures which you can't even see never mind pick up, throw or enjoy with the kids or make men out of does not make a great winter spell.

The whole point of seeing snow in this country (due to its rarity) is to enjoy it for what it is. If you have kids you go out in the back garden, lob snowballs about and feel young again.

Perhaps your passion for weather is greater than mine, but I only come to this forum during the Winter as Snow is the only thing that I yearn to see.

Edited by rikki

Posted

sorry but why does the bbc always down play things before the event actually happens!? barely no snow fall tomorrow lol and max's of 3c next week :) lol

Posted

lol East and North Yorkshire is going to take a battering in the next 2-6 hours.

Lewis

did you see the forecast on bbc? made me laugh!

Posted

We have had two nights at least where it got down to -12. It was -10.2 this morning. Most days for the last week have been ice days. Typically max temp has been -2 over the last several days. We have also had some snow cover since the 17th of Dec. Although at one stage it was only sitting in the shade. Snow has fallen nearly every day this week, with some very impressive sharp showers. Locally this cold spell has been amazing.

The biggest problem with this weather may come in the form of flooding. If you get a sudden thaw with rain it could be extreme: See: Sandbags ordered as York braced for flooding when snow melts

Edited by WS Evolution

yes its nice to have a persistent snow cover but like footage just shown on look north showed previous harsh winters bringing plenty of snow after snow topping up the covering! The deeper the snow the longer it lasts. The snow we hav will jst gradually thaw n thaw to the point where theres very little!!whistling.gifcc_confused.gif

Whats annoyed me however is the fact that the bbc n paul hudson have continuously said 'theres more to come' 'persistent heavy snow showers' snow moving in etc! and all have been WRONG! I dnt like the way they build up hopes only to destriy them

Posted

You just added the words 'the only thing' which wasn't apart of the original post, but like you say its not worth arguing over.

But snowfall makes a cold spell, 3 weeks of extensive cold temperatures which you can't even see never mind pick up, throw or enjoy with the kids or make men out of does not make a great winter spell.

The whole point of seeing snow in this country (due to its rarity) is to enjoy it for what it is. If you have kids you go out in the back garden, lob snowballs about and feel young again.

Perhaps your passion for weather is greater than mine, but I only come to this forum during the Winter as Snow is the only thing that I yearn to see.

Not at all. I only come on in the winter for the exactly same thing smile.gif Also,personally, I'd rather it be mild and dry than cold and dry as when there's cold weather I only see it worthwhile with snow. However, I can still appreciate when a cold spell is a good one even if there's isn't metres worth of snow. We've just got to remember this spell has actually been a countrywide spell, something we don't see that often, and the snow has stuck around for quite a while (well, in inland areas it has). In terms of it being a great winter though, it looks like it's localised as John Holmes was saying it's worst snowfall where he lives for 30 years, yet for me it's more like 10-15 years, yet we both live in South Yorkshire.

Maybe it just helps me with the amount of letdowns I've seen since model watching in winter since I joined this forum!

Anyway, those showers are looking extremely tasty! Lewis, I assume those are the ones heading for North and East Yorkshire?

Posted

Looking at the latest Bracknell charts the strength of the easterlies over the weekend for Yorkshire seems much diminished compared to suggestions a day or so ago. I'll be surprised to see any showers penetrate as far inland as the Pennines.

Posted

WS Evolution, yeah York seems to have done very well on my Radar watching this weeks having been lucky enough to have received every passing shower. Very lucky indeed.

Ps: How do i spell Precipition? My browser Safari always underlines it in red and however I spell it just doesn't look right. :clap:

Posted

WS Evolution, yeah York seems to have done very well on my Radar watching this weeks having been lucky enough to have received every passing shower. Very lucky indeed.

Ps: How do i spell Precipition? My browser Safari always underlines it in red and however I spell it just doesn't look right. :clap:

Precipitation :oops:

Posted

No i didnt mate,

What did it say

Lewis

no snow showers tonight and tomorrow and a few on sunday with temps of 3c by monday and tuesday :wacko:

Posted

no snow showers tonight and tomorrow and a few on sunday with temps of 3c by monday and tuesday :wacko:

When i watched look North it said plenty of snow showers, and some heavy snow possible sunday...

did you watch the national one?

Posted

Whats annoyed me however is the fact that the bbc n paul hudson have continuously said 'theres more to come' 'persistent heavy snow showers' snow moving in etc! and all have been WRONG! I dnt like the way they build up hopes only to destriy them

So true, politicians in disguise.

Posted

When i watched look North it said plenty of snow showers, and some heavy snow possible sunday...

did you watch the national one?

yeah but looknorth kind of downplayed it a lil, amazes me because they said totaly different last night! what are your thoughts?

Posted

did you see the forecast on bbc? made me laugh!

just have on news 24, for the humber area i have given up hopelazy.gif. looks like its london and the south AGAIN rofl.gifclap.gif

temp here 3.3c dew point -2.7c at 14:05

Edited by clee_snow

Posted

yeah but looknorth kind of downplayed it a lil, amazes me because they said totaly different last night! what are your thoughts?

Generally i never have to watch BBC forecasts, reason being is because they are too cautious, or they ramp it up because they don't want to get it wrong. It's basically always glass half full with the BBC and METO.

Personally i think they will be some good snow about later this afternoon and overnight. Charts show it, and the radar and satellite imagery show it.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

They did get inland, just not as far as some wanted. Last night they said as far inland as the A1 on local radio (which P Hudson does) which was about right. Just because some of you missed out does not mean the forecast was wrong, showers in nature hit some areas and miss others. Forecasting is all about chances of something happening not that it will happen! Must be very difficult to predicted exactly where the showers will die away.