Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

1.3C here at the moment.

Is your snow thawing? If it was 5.5C it'd be rapidly melting now.

The local weather station I was shown yesterday on web also said the temp was around 5 degrees. I simply don't believe it. On xcweather the latest temp at donna nook was 2 as was humberside was 2 degrees. The snow is also not rapidly thawing, if anything this is hardly happening - touch wood! IIt has to be in some sort of sunlight surely.

Posted

1.3C here at the moment.

Is your snow thawing? If it was 5.5C it'd be rapidly melting now.

Melting slightly, all the snow on roofs has gone and dried out. Shed roofs etc are ok though.

I'll go measure snow now.

1 sec mate brb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

We have had a pair of heavy showers pass through in the last hour or so. Neither lasted more thn about 15 minutes but where it has layed on existing ice etc, it's added another couple of centimetres. WE now appear to be in a clear slot with a really nice looking line streaming down towards the Whitby-Middlesbrough area. Not sure if that will move south but given how heavy that lot just was, someone is going to get pasted by that line!

Posted

Melting slightly, all the snow on roofs has gone and dried out. Shed roofs etc are ok though.

I'll go measure snow now.

1 sec mate brb

hardly melted at all mate, i still have a good 8cm.

post-2644-12629535346452_thumb.jpg

Almost 6c now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Morning,

I see the Easterly never happened (again) overnight as the main shower activity spotted last night on satellite imagery only hit Norfolk and missed East Yorkshire and Lincolnshie entirely contrary to many forecasts.

Well they didn't miss Lincolnshire - we had an inch of snow last night and I'm 15 miles south of you. My dad is 15 miles south of me and he had two and a half inches of snow last night.

Posted

8 inches here now, not bad for 14m asl, but some places in North Yorkshire (Kirkbymoorside) got a further 8 inchs on top of what they already have). All roads around York seem covered.Must be well over a 1 1/2 foot in places on the moors!.

Posted

Warnings now removed for tomorrow for all of the U.K all but the far S.E

Probably too much uncertainty for the metoffice to update the advisory so we'll probably just see flash warnings issued within the timeframe of it happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

For the coldest spell for many years i am yet to record an ice day, its currently -0.1c laugh.gif

Ditto dry.gif

Posted

For East Yorkshire and NE lincs, keep an eye to the E of Scotland, the bigger blob there is what could hit us later.

Yeah I'd spotted that, hope your prediction is right, would love another few cms here. Do you think we will get snow tomorrow, I notice the warmings have vanished of the metoffice site?

i dnt understand why everyones so happy. Yes we have a lovely deep snow cover but looking at the news and synoptics you'd think we have a good few feet of snow! we had a great dumping at the beginning of the week only for the rest of this week to be bone dry and lack of precip!! In severe winters gone by they've had persistant and at times prolonged snow!! so there is nothing to look forward to in terms of snow sadly as temps will very slowly start to rise. This cold spell is slowly sliding from under us!!

Posted

looking slightly more favourable for us in leeds, as the winds turn more to the north east

http://www.xcweather...w1262954363.gif

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast.

I think at best a couple of cm for us this evening, but ya never know smile.gif

One thing for sure is I wont be believeing bbc/look north weather in terms of nowcasting/next 24 hours as theyve been pityfull in the last couple of days..

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

i dnt understand why everyones so happy. Yes we have a lovely deep snow cover but looking at the news and synoptics you'd think we have a good few feet of snow! we had a great dumping at the beginning of the week only for the rest of this week to be bone dry and lack of precip!! In severe winters gone by they've had persistant and at times prolonged snow!! so there is nothing to look forward to in terms of snow sadly as temps will very slowly start to rise. This cold spell is slowly sliding from under us!!

Some have,some haven't. You've got to remember we've had cold weather since before xmas! I've had laying snow cover for many weeks now, something that hasn't happened for a long long time. The quantity of snow doesn't determine whether a cold spell is a great one or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The quantity of snow doesn't determine whether a cold spell is a great one or not.

I can't disagree strongly enough. What a ridiculous statement.

Warnings now removed for tomorrow for all of the U.K all but the far S.E

Probably too much uncertainty for the metoffice to update the advisory so we'll probably just see flash warnings issued within the timeframe of it happening.

More likely removed because the Easterly never happened. Proof is I am looking North today on the Radar and not East. ~.~

Edited by rikki

Posted

Its all personal preference at the end of the day. I think this cold spell has certainly been an exceptional one. One of the most prolonged in 29 years in many places..

But I would like it a lot more if there was plenty more snow biggrin.gif

Posted

More likely removed because the Easterly never happened. Proof is I am looking North today on the Radar and not East. ~.~

Mate, sorry but the easterly was never progged to hit us this early. Look at my forecast from last night, i said as the day goes on into the afternoon and overnight we start to pick up a strong biting easterly wind..

Posted

Right,so a 2 day toppler with 2 inch of snow is a greater cold spell than a 1 month dryish spell with 1 inch of continuous snow cover and with temperatures always 1 degree or below?

Posted

well its going to be an proper ice day now -0.4c and staying put! all the sun side roofs have had snow sliding off and big icicles have started to appear! Those showers look very tasty! and looking at the wind vectors its looking promising for here!