Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

bomb.gif wht a joke!! we have near perfect synoptics and no snow! so much for paul hudsons forecasts all week of heay prolonged snow showers! The good covering we had is just slowly residing now. And by the look of the latest charts its staying dry all today and weekend!! Just typical i'm afraid-a waste.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifdiablo.gifnonono.gifgirl_devil.gif

Have yet to look at the charts and posting this week yet, but yes disappointing when the forecasts says heavy frequent snow showers and nothing happens at all apart from 1 day; \o/

Edited by rikki

Posted

North east leeds -alwoodley

Too me it looks like your in prime position over the coming few days. I would not be too dis-heartened regarding the BBC forecasts. Forecasting snow especially with so much instability and so many different flows can be very very tricky. Last night was an example, the way the flow switched so quickly sending heavy snow showers over East Yorkshire and sinking South Westwards into NW Lincolnshire.

The potential is there, certainly all the ingredients.

May i ask how much snow you have on ground up to now? As for as I'm concerned you have done very well compared to other parts of the region.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

well after clearing my car yesturday it now has a good 1-2cm from last night so places should be easily 18cm deep with odd 19cm over the fields! it was drifting off the roofs last night so cant imagine what its going to be like tonight and tomorrow! quite worrying really! those showers seem to be moving south even though the vectors show different?

Posted

Looks like Scarborough getting pasted at the mo..

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8390694.stm

what chances are for NW Leeds later pm / tonite ??

Just been reading the North East Posts and they are possibly expecting up to 6" out of these showers today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Lewis, as the resident expert on this forum - could you advise on the probability of snow for Cleckheaton (or North Kirklees in general)? We have around 6 inches of lying snow, but I am greedy and want more for the weekend!

Posted

All in all I think we will have to remain positive of what this winter may bring as its still very early days.

All we have seen so far over the last few weeks is scattered showers on radar, with perhaps one or two more organised bands, but nothing which obscures the BI from view which is often the case with rain; spot the land below; which brings me to a couple of questions.

1. Under what conditions can someone call snowfall as being a Snowstorm.

2. Under what conditions can someone call snowfall as being a Blizzard.

Posted

I dont think leeds will get much snow today to be honest. The winds just arent enough of a north easterly. The more it comes off the sea the better. dry.gif

Would love another few inches today crazy.gif

Posted

All in all I think we will have to remain positive of what this winter may bring as its still very early days.

All we have seen so far over the last few weeks is scattered showers on radar, with perhaps one or two more organised bands, but nothing which obscures the BI from view which is often the case with rain; spot the land below; which brings me to a couple of questions.

1. Under what conditions can someone call snowfall as being a Snowstorm.

2. Under what conditions can someone call snowfall as being a Blizzard.

A blizzard has to have two things! strong constant wind blowing with heavy ppn! when them two combinations are in place the visibility gets reduced to 50m :yahoo: thats my take on a blizzard

Posted

A blizzard has to have two things! strong constant wind blowing with heavy ppn! when them two combinations are in place the visibility gets reduced to 50m smile.gif thats my take on a blizzard

ye, to be honest it doesnt have to be snowing to be a blizzard. Just as long as visibility is down to 50m with blowing snow. I think the wind has to be a certain strength too, possibly mean speed of 25-30mph+

Posted

need advice, wife is in peterbourgh needs to get home to spalding, forecast is for showers turning heavy about 3 according to the met office website, does anyone agree? she does not know weather to leave early. thanks.

Too me it looks like your in prime position over the coming few days. I would not be too dis-heartened regarding the BBC forecasts. Forecasting snow especially with so much instability and so many different flows can be very very tricky. Last night was an example, the way the flow switched so quickly sending heavy snow showers over East Yorkshire and sinking South Westwards into NW Lincolnshire.

The potential is there, certainly all the ingredients.

May i ask how much snow you have on ground up to now? As for as I'm concerned you have done very well compared to other parts of the region.

6inches pushing 7

Posted

As promised yesterday i have uploaded some pictures, i have way too many so i chose the best, i'll upload all of them and add them to my weather gallery on my weather station website tonight or tomorrow.

Went to shop this morning, and my daughter loved the snow, there's a church near us and she went on the grass where it was very deep, i could only get a picture of her on the moderate-deep bit, because she cried when she went further across to the deeper snow bless her.

post-2644-12629518234652_thumb.jpg

Yesterday

I then met up with R0b (whos a member of this forum) and we went for something to eat and a drive about. We also went to Hull Marina where it's frozen over.

post-2644-12629518888252_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12629519059652_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12629519429152_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12629519645752_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12629519855052_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12629520034752_thumb.jpg

When we went for a meal at a place called "Sail Makers" which is situated on Saint Andrews Quay on the North bank of the River Hull i took what i would say is my photo of the day looking towards the Humber bridge and across to the South Bank.

post-2644-12629520772152_thumb.jpg

I'll get more tomorrow aswell

Enjoy

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

A blizzard has to have two things! strong constant wind blowing with heavy ppn! when them two combinations are in place the visibility gets reduced to 50m :whistling: thats my take on a blizzard

You can have blizzards with very light or no precipitation, if the wind is strong enough and there is already lying snow, that can be whipped up and cause blizzard conditions as if it's snowing.

Posted

So much for the forecast, looks like that line of showers will once again move inland and avoid the East Yorkshire area. What is it with this winter?

Light snow currently.

Posted

Now down to 12cm from my original 15cm. Had a further Dusting last night. Don't know where the snow is going. If it was melting at that rate there would be crusted top. Its all still powdery. Unless its being blown with the wind. Oh well, a few more cm's possible over the coming days. :whistling:

Posted

Posted this originally in the Cold Discussion thread, perhaps more relevant here given most will have seen the very same BBC broadcast:

--

Regarding lack of salt.

The average person buys Table Salt perhaps once every 2 years? Therefore there must be a mountain of Table Salt somewhere. :D :D

Hey if the councils of Scarbrough and Cleethorpes are using sand from the Beach then surely its worth a try \o/ :lol:

BTW last night on my local BBC big story regarding the condition of the actual road surface atm. The story was mainly focused in and around Hull, but the situation is pretty much the same in Grimsby. There are many roadworks planned here to take place during January and February on south-band routes of the town to repair roads which are riddled with huge potholes and uneven surfaces.

The council blames the cold conditions that have persisted throughout December until now. If you ask me its a case of cheap materials...

One of the main roads into my village was only resurfaced in October and already it is falling to pieces with road chippings spread everywhere and deep holes in the road surface. So yes, local councils trying to spend as little as possible.

--

Posted

18cm in York so far! And looking at the forecast plenty more to come :D

ive messured 19 in the field mate :lol:

Posted

Well i just hit 5.5c here in Hull!

1.3C here at the moment.

Is your snow thawing? If it was 5.5C it'd be rapidly melting now.