Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

MAF

Posted

Right here is what the NMM suggests. By the way Neil lose the attitude otherwise I won't bother sharing the info. You have to realise NW extra is subscription based and it wouldn't be fair on Paul to be constantly posting these charts.

What the NMM shows for early tomorrow morning is a line of snow showers into Kent, coastal strip of E Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex. Now during the morning into the afternoon a band of snow showers hit NE England moving into Lincs. Within our region the snow showers start to affect inland parts of Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, Cambs. During Friday night the snow showers continue and we even see the snow showers around the Wash penetrate far inland to SW parts of our region.

Posted

snow coming down nicely atm. Big flakes too!

:) Nothing here but Sleet - Pmsl not again!

Just a heads up a weakish Streamer has set up as the Low pressure has moved SW Again and it now lies just off the Kent Coast, this means the wind is now veering ENE In the Estuary.

I am surprised Steve Murr is not salivating at this, I fully expect places further down the line to get some decent Snow Showers out of this in the next few hours in this brief window.

We have sleety rainy graupel atm

Paul S

Posted

BBC forecast for this region suggested plenty of showers to watch out for. 2c on the Norfolk coast though tomorrow. More generally, ice days through to Tuesday but 1c Monday. NE winds ave 20mph on Sunday

If anything had it cloudier after Sunday through Tuesday, not clear about ppn though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Right, I'm leaving work and heading to deepest South East London, fingers crossed for that event on Sunday!! :)

Posted

Met Office being generous the last few days by only delaying radar data by 6 minutes! 19:00 image already out for MO customers!

Colchester/Ipswich looks nice at da mo

Posted

Yeah didn't do bad actually got a couple of inches lying.

For this event to be remembered I need to get more than feb 09 which was 14cms and even zone 1 they got 26cm apparently somewhere near oxford street.

So thats a fair bit to top actually.

Two inches here, three plus just a mile away up the hill in Hanger Hill Park where the snow is utterly lovely.

Not quite the event of Feb 2, 2009, but not a bad fall at all. I am doubtful of that 26cm figure for near Oxford St, my recollection was that the only places to clear 20cm were down in the S/SW of London, but I could be wrong.

I had six inches of snow on Feb 2 but Ealing was most definitely NOT one of the premium spots on that memorable day.

Posted

Right here is what the NMM suggests. By the way Neil lose the attitude otherwise I won't bother sharing the info. You have to realise NW extra is subscription based and it wouldn't be fair on Paul to be constantly posting these charts.

What the NMM shows for early tomorrow morning is a line of snow showers into Kent, coastal strip of E Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex. Now during the morning into the afternoon a band of snow showers hit NE England moving into Lincs. Within our region the snow showers start to affect inland parts of Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, Cambs. During Friday night the snow showers continue and we even see the snow showers around the Wash penetrate far inland to SW parts of our region.

Many Thanks for the update and your opinion's ........ Remember for every poster there are 10's or 100's of lurkers as well as the remainder of posters who are not throwing their snowballs out of their prams.

Please carry on posting the info.. the ignore button sometimes has its uses.

Posted

:rofl: Nothing here but Sleet - Pmsl not again!

Just a heads up a weakish Streamer has set up as the Low pressure has moved SW Again and it now lies just off the Kent Coast, this means the wind is now veering ENE In the Estuary.

I am surprised Steve Murr is not salivating at this, I fully expect places further down the line to get some decent Snow Showers out of this in the next few hours in this brief window.

Paul S

You seem to have changed your tune Paul. Do you think areas in London may pick up the odd cm from this later?

Posted

:rofl: Nothing here but Sleet - Pmsl not again!

Paul S

lol, stopped already and was quite wet, but certainly snow. This marginality already is worrying for sunday indeed. Not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

I agree. I've been looking closely at the progs and there will definitely be sleet along the east coast of Scotland and northeast England on Sunday, with snow inland.

For East Anglia and the southeast there will be less modification over the North Sea and heavier precipitation, so there is less certainty of sleet near the coast, but it certainly can't be ruled out, especially late in the day. With a bit of luck Norwich should be far enough inland to escape the sleety slushy icy mush, giving me a good chance of catching up with Tyneside's current snow depths (around 15cm there now, as opposed to Norwich's 7cm).

Yes, I think it will be touch and go. My location about 10 miles inland is always borderline in these situations and all too often we get sleety stuff while a bit further west gets all the action!

Does existing snow cover affect what falls from the sky in any way? Just wondering if it was REALLY marginal whether it would make that crucial difference?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

2C for the Norfolk coast sounds about right tomorrow with the wind off the sea, but bear in mind that the implication is that 0 or 1C max is likely inland.

Interesting that they expect ice days out to Tuesday except for +1C on Monday. They clearly aren't expecting that area of snow for Sunday/Monday to turn to sleet or rain judging by this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Started snowing here:) the temp is -1.4c in my back yard but snow still seems to be melting in the village :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Precipitation is increasing across the south east but temps have jumped to nearly 2C!! , also reports of sleet aswell :cold::rofl:

yes and this is supposed to be one of the coldest few days...

Posted

Snowing heavy in Norwich someone has left a halogen light on 100m away pointing straight at me, better than any lampost. Sticking readily to the garden bench which I cleared at 6 oclock. Not on radar though

Posted

Met Office being generous the last few days by only delaying radar data by 6 minutes! 19:00 image already out for MO customers!

Colchester/Ipswich looks nice at da mo

Unfortunately, I am right under a blob and only a few wispy flakes. Passing to the east of Colchester at the mo'.

Temps falling now at -0.4c

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

Light snow in Dover... but it is so light it won't lead to further accumulations IMO... unless some more heavier stuff moves in later, but the radar looks quiet. :/

Edit... very heavy snow in Dover now... see talking about it does help... lol new covering on roads and everything that it thawed on today )which was very little)

Edited by Updraft

Posted

Thank you very much TEITS. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

:cold: Nothing here but Sleet - Pmsl not again!

Paul S

Yes, I walked home in exactly that sort of weather about 5pm here but now the ppn is all back to snow so hopefully that will be the same for you too in the near future! :rofl:

Posted

2C for the Norfolk coast sounds about right tomorrow with the wind off the sea, but bear in mind that the implication is that 0 or 1C max is likely inland.

Interesting that they expect ice days out to Tuesday except for +1C on Monday. They clearly aren't expecting that area of snow for Sunday/Monday to turn to sleet or rain judging by this.

Hi TWS

Regarding the weekend isn't that an upper warm front coming in? if that's the case there shouldn't be any increase in surface temps, i thought temps above roughly 10,000 feet would increase but below wouldn't be effected. What do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, I think it will be touch and go. My location about 10 miles inland is always borderline in these situations and all too often we get sleety stuff while a bit further west gets all the action!

Does existing snow cover affect what falls from the sky in any way? Just wondering if it was REALLY marginal whether it would make that crucial difference?

Probably a very slight effect, as snow cover reflects radiation and helps to keep the surface cooler- but this is usually more apparent when skies are clear. But the main effect would be to increase the chances of wet snow providing accumulations as it would be falling onto already frozen ground.