Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Has anyone on this thread had 1.5" of snow or less? Just wondering if its me here in Nottingham who has had the absolute worst luck for snow this cold spell. What a great event this has been in the UK, and I feel really gyped! It feels like Nottingham is the only place that didnt get any proper snow, like 4" Anyone else in the midlands have this problem? I am really hoping this week-end gives us some good snow, because it will be another 30 years before this happens again, and its utterly heartbreaking. Is this week-ends snow due to be from the east again? If so, then no chance for us in Notts, as the showers evaporate about 10 miles before they hit me (literally) Our best chances are from the Cheshire Gap. Or some type of low, but not the one we just had!!! LOL!!! RUBBISH! laugh.gif Totally missed us for the main part hahaha!! ...ya gotta laugh....

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted

just had a power cut here for about a minute??!! must be alot of demand on the national grid?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

err we've barely got 2cm wallbash.gif

Hey you can join the club!!! The 2" or less club!! The way the news goes on, youd think the entire kingdom has been draped in a foot of snow! laugh.gif Misery loves company, so its good to know its not just me (or shall I say us Nottingham lot!). 2cm? wow- thats just down right insulting.... where is Rushden?

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted

Don't talk to me about bins... We haven't had ours collected since Christmas eve and they didn't come today and looks like we will have to wait till next Thursday again. Everybody in our street has wheelie bins to put rubbish in but everyones has filled up and most people have 3-5 black bags full of rubbish next to their bins lol. If they have to wait another week the dustbin men are going to be working their asses off to get it all cleared!

That is because you live at the top of the hill, Mine was emptied as normal on Tuesday. I agree with you as regard to the easterly as it stands at the minute, we are fine as long as the High positions it self as it is currently shown . Any more of a tilt and we will be stuffed. As for the breakdown next week, I think it will fail at the first attempt after giving Penzance some rain showers I think it will head back South.

Posted

Has anyone on this thread had 1.5" of snow or less? Just wondering if its me here in Nottingham who has had the absolute worst luck for snow this cold spell.

Raises both hands :cray:

Oh...and Snow Hunter...lets count the cold spell before the New Year. So you can put your hands down :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well my coldest day, -8.7C minimum, -2.3C maximum, now -5.3C, dont like gfs 12Z FI the usual progressiveness

Posted

Hey you can join the club!!! The 2" or less club!! The way the news goes on, youd think the entire kingdom has been draped in a foot of snow! laugh.gif Misery loves company, so its good to know its not just me (or shall I say us Nottingham lot!). 2cm? wow- thats just down right insulting.... where is Rushden?

It is in east northants

Raises both hands :cray:

Oh...and Snow Hunter...lets count the cold spell before the New Year. So you can put your hands down :D

ok we probably got about 4-5 inches in December.

I think this cold spell will come good for us in the east mids soon though, we normally do well from easterly winds.

Posted

Well i'll only be 10 miles from you on Saturday Snow Hunter (I don't know why, but I keep getting the urge to call you Bass Hunter :cray:).

Fingers crossed I get to see something.

Posted

This could well be a Snow / Radar watch for some of our region later tonight , winds are still NNW but they are starting to turn more Northerly now and may well turn NE by the early hours. If this happens a wash streamer looks likely it would develop going by the latest radar. With regards to this South Leicester and Northampton would need to watch closely , also the showers currently coming into Scotland are going to merge and send a band of Snow SW with this one the North of our region will have to watch as it will be passing Nottingham , Derby and Maybe Scraping parts of North Leicestershire. Personally I look like I will miss out both to my North and my South but with all this going on we may get a few showers creeping over Andy's house dropping nothing and then dropping it all on my house 2 miles further West. :cray:

When do you think this cold spell will end.

Some people on this forum think it will breakdown by wednesday next week.

Francis wilson on sky said it is due to last until atleast mid january and possibly until 20th. With temps getting colder due to snow preventing the sun from warming up the land due to reflective nature of the snow.

anglia tv say it is due to last for atleast another week .

I beleive there may well be an attempt for a milder push from sw , but how far will this penetrate this immense pool of cold air. so IMO another 10 days atleast. with this sunday , mon , tue , possibly giving us another 2 to 3 inch of snow. with the strengthening winds turning to NNE direction it will feel more like -15c.

Posted

Francis wilson on sky said it is due to last until atleast mid january and possibly until 20th. With temps getting colder due to snow preventing the sun from warming up the land due to reflective nature of the snow.

I beleive there may well be an attempt for a milder push from sw , but how far will this penetrate this immense pool of cold air. so IMO another 10 days atleast. with this sunday , mon , tue , possibly giving us another 2 to 3 inch of snow. with the strengthening winds turning to NNE direction it will feel more like -15c.

Hi Northampton john, where abouts are you located?

Posted

There will most likely be several attempts before the Atlantic wins , but with it being an el nino season , known for it's cold late winter in Northern Europe , expect the mild to be temp maybe lasting a week and then a reload patten likely to take us into Feb . The models won't pick up on this for a couple of weeks yet .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

That is because you live at the top of the hill, Mine was emptied as normal on Tuesday. I agree with you as regard to the easterly as it stands at the minute, we are fine as long as the High positions it self as it is currently shown . Any more of a tilt and we will be stuffed. As for the breakdown next week, I think it will fail at the first attempt after giving Penzance some rain showers I think it will head back South.

Yep, all the bins around my area have not been collected, the 104 bus isn't even coming through my area at the moment because the roads are lethal up here. Kingsway, Turnbull Drive etc... have ice and snow on them still and i'm going to have to walk round to braunie police station on Braunstone Lane to catch a bus to town tomorrow lol.

Posted

Snow cover before new years, Zero.

Current snow cover, just under an inch, or 22mm. is that it for the snow?, ive heard talk of a milder breakdown in the middle of next week with warm/mild stuff coming in from the south west ( souds like a return the usual winter.

Local road conditions: mostly clear, although some minor roads have got a veneer of compacted snow and ice.

Posted

Yep, all the bins around my area have not been collected, the 104 bus isn't even coming through my area at the moment because the roads are lethal up here. Kingsway, Turnbull Drive etc... have ice and snow on them still and i'm going to have to walk round to braunie police station on Braunstone Lane to catch a bus to town tomorrow lol.

Just take the Sledge ;)