Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just started snowing here in South Shields,very light at the moment, The trough can be seen on the UKMO fax chart 18z

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess=

Posted

When clicking through the past hour on the radar it looks to me as if the leading edge is thinning slightly but the bank at the rear will hopefully back it up as thats on a direct course for Consett

Edited by davyf

Posted

Looks as though Darlo might miss out again. The part of that band on course for us seems to be really thinning :).

Posted

When clicking through the past hour on the radar it looks to me as if the leading edge is thinning slightly but the bank at the rear will hopefully back it up as thats on a direct course for Consett

this is where local topography rules the roost lol.

many a year ive seen the whole derwent valley under several cms but nothing on the high ground.

Posted

Th band is going strong where it has made landfall up in Northumberland, I'm expecting it to start here within the next 20 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Snow has started here and the sky is turning bright orange. Its moving very slowly.

Posted

Nice write up on the astronomy site Universe Today about the UK Big Freeze, plus a photograph of the whole country covered in snow, taken by the NASA Terra satellite. NASA speculates that the persistent snow and cold across the mid-latitudes of the northern hemisphere could be due to the fact that the Arctic Osciallation (AO) is in an extreme negative phase (lowest monthly value for the AO for the past 60 years).

My link

Posted

so far so good,its still holding form.

You back onside now then haha. Thought you were losing the faith there before.

Edited by davyf

Posted

Superb. There is a high intensity area with 'Newcastle' written on it. I hope it stops over here and dumps the whole lot as although there is 6" here we have missed alot of snow chances compared to north and south of here. My dad in morpeth got 4" just last night to top up the 7" already there and we totally missed that. We deserve it!!!

Know what you mean mate. What I hate about showery regimes is the unfairness of it all.

Looking at the band though - should it not weaken - it is very thin and only going to give up to 30 minutes of moderate snow. A centimetre, perhaps two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Oh no... i forgot its -4c here... its TOO COLD TO SNOW.. of course i forgot the most basic weather rule.. idiots!!!

It is very impressive though. I can not remember it being this cold and snowing (not since I had my digital outdoor thermometer - 15 years)

Moderate intensity here now. POWDER SNOW!!!!

Posted

Moderate powder snow just started here within the past 5 minutes. Looks as though it will be here for a while as it is virtually dead calm.

Posted

Steady snow for the last half an hour, pretty heavy now and not a breathe of wind.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like it's absolutely chucking down at Cleadon according to the radar...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snowing here moderately but only small flakes and its -4C :cc_confused: Coldest ive ever witnessed for snow to fall :whistling:

Posted

very light snow here now. I reckon that once it's in properly (still another 1/2 hr for here) it could well last a couple of hours, it seems to still be intensifying as it makes landfall. Also, there appears to be showers generating behind the trough, could be a snowy night, for all for a change.

Karl :lol:

Posted

It is -5.6ºC here and rising, no snow yet. It did get down to -6.2ºC at 9pm which I was quite impressed with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This band over your area reminds me of the 2nd March 2001, when a very light easterly flow brought heavy slow-moving snowstorms to the east coast, though on that occasion they fizzled as they headed inland. 8cm resulted at Cleadon from that, and the snow around 9-10am fell at a temperature of -3C which is about what South Shields is reporting.