Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

Did anyone else see the amateur meteorologist they had on Look North? He had the GFS charts on his screen in the background and you could tell by the time buttons above it was Netweather.

It was the man who runs this site...

http://www.penrithweatherstation.com/

Anyway the showers are looking very interesting, particularly that line which is intensifying.

Up until lunchtime I wasn't expecting anything tonight, but now I'm quite hopeful of at least another inch or two.

The line has just intensified further on the 17:15 radar.

Did anyone else see the amateur meteorologist they had on Look North? He had the GFS charts on his screen in the background and you could tell by the time buttons above it was Netweather.

Anyway the showers are looking very interesting, particularly that line which is intensifying.

Up until lunchtime I wasn't expecting anything tonight, but now I'm quite hopeful of at least another inch or two.

yip seen him Mark,wonder what he's called on here lol.

Posted

Aye i thought that like when i was watching it :yahoo:

Bit of fame for the GFS charts on NW for a moment there. :cold:

I'm still hoping for one shower at least here but they keep fading as they approch for some reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Aye i thought that like when i was watching it :whistling:

Bit of fame for the GFS charts on NW for a moment there. :p

I'm still hoping for one shower at least here but they keep fading as they approch for some reason.

I can't see the next band disappearing, it's looking quite well organised now...

post-3392-12628933459552_thumb.jpg

Surely that will give most a slight top up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

One or two flakes were coming down past the lamppost before, I've never seen anything quite like it - they were glittering and 'fluttering' past rather than just falling! Never seen diamond dust before, not sure whether it could be that? Or perhaps wet snowflakes which have frozen due to some sort of inversion?

I can't see the next band disappearing, it's looking quite well organised now...

Yep I think most places should see 0.5-2cm this evening from that band which should hit Tyneside sometime around 20:30-21:00.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Due to the very light winds I have a feeling that those showers out in the North Sea will continue to fizzle as they make landfall. That band in the North Sea will probably hit the coastal strip with at least half of the current intensity but maybe fizzle as it gets inland. But as an easterly drift picks up we may then see more inland penetration.

Posted

dont think this lot has our name on it,seems to be saving itself for East Anglia.

could be wrong but i think tomorrow is better for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Rob McElwee just said that the snow showers would 'return with a vengeance' to NE England tomorrow afternoon, implying that the trough could bring some significant snow if we're lucky.

Due to the very light winds I have a feeling that those showers out in the North Sea will continue to fizzle as they make landfall. That band in the North Sea will probably hit the coastal strip with at least half of the current intensity but maybe fizzle as it gets inland. But as an easterly drift picks up we may then see more inland penetration.

I think it will make it further inland than previous showers have done, Newcastle should get hit. I do think it will weaken quickly, hence my 0.5-2cm estimate, the 2cm reserved for rural areas by the coast.

Posted

How do you get that zoom on the Net Weather radar? I'm subscribed to the 5 minute radar but mine zooms in closer and I'd like it to be slightly further out like yours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

How do you get that zoom on the Net Weather radar? I'm subscribed to the 5 minute radar but mine zooms in closer and I'd like it to be slightly further out like yours.

You have a box in the top left corner when you are zoomed out, hold SHIFT and click inside it and drag it to whatever size you want, then move it where you want and press ZOOM IN.

Hope that helps :wallbash:

Still going strong on the 20:00 update.

Posted

yeah just seen that forecast 'with a vengence in the n.e' hope it come true, all this precipitation in the north sea just seems to keep fading as it approaches land. wallbash.gif

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

Jesus I wish that wind would pick up. This is slow going. When I overlay the wind vecotrs on the radar which pressure/height should I be using? i.e. What pressure/height is the snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

lovely moderate/heavy snowfall between 6 30 - 7 30 ish some like tht i was playing out in it so not sure. Anyways clouding over again..

Posted

You have a box in the top left corner when you are zoomed out, hold SHIFT and click inside it and drag it to whatever size you want, then move it where you want and press ZOOM IN.

Hope that helps :good:

Still going strong on the 20:00 update.

Thanks for that.

-5.1c here in Washington, Tyne & Wear. I hope this band keeps intensifying and makes land, missed most of the showers the last few nights.

Posted

Well, that band of snow out at sea is just getting bigger and bigger!

I did say earlier today that the snow will arrive today, but later than the last couple of days. (heehee blows own trumpet, before anyone else says it). I also told my boss today that today may end up being the snowiest yet. If I'm going to be right the showers better get a move on eh? Never mind, I'd rather be wrong if it means the band crosses the coast at very slow speed and takes it's time moving slowly across the region, stalling over Ryton !

Don't forget,IF the band doesn't disappear up it's own bottom at the coast and continues moving at the pace it is, we COULD get a proper dumping.

Here's hoping.

Karl

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Last half hour here up from -9.5 to -7.2 and getting cloudy. Another 2 inches at least please to make it 2 foot everywhere here. Took dog out for a walk at 7pm across the field behind my house and stood on a drift and it went up to my chest(im6"2)!

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

Well, that band of snow out at sea is just getting bigger and bigger!

I did say earlier today that the snow will arrive today, but later than the last couple of days. (heehee blows own trumpet, before anyone else says it). I also told my boss today that today may end up being the snowiest yet. If I'm going to be right the showers better get a move on eh? Never mind, I'd rather be wrong if it means the band crosses the coast at very slow speed and takes it's time moving slowly across the region, stalling over Ryton !

Don't forget,IF the band doesn't disappear up it's own bottom at the coast and continues moving at the pace it is, we COULD get a proper dumping.

Here's hoping.

Karl

What's your guesstimate for when it'll hit land travelling at this speed? About 2115 I'm thinking.

I just hope to god that it doesn't burn itself it before it hits Consett haha.

Posted

What's your guesstimate for when it'll hit land travelling at this speed? About 2115 I'm thinking.

I just hope to god that it doesn't burn itself it before it hits Consett haha.

Pterry much what I think, could be over you, if it doesn't burn out, by about 10ish???

Posted

Some temp from around the country at 8pm

Altnaharra highland -16.4

Strathallan central scotland -13

Carlisle -10.6

Shap -14.9

Albermale Northumberland -8.2

Slaley Northumberland -10.6

Yeovilton Somerset -9

Looks like a very good night for extremes