Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

-9.3º here!

Think there could be some records getting broken...-9.3°C already...!! Utility companies must be rubbing their hands....£££.Keerching £££!!! My heatings hardly been off and it only got to -4°C last night (Rarely gets that cold as we are a sea-side town).. Looks like today has been our first ice day for many years, no doubt TWS will have the statistics on that. If the easterly can hang back for a while it could get even colder tonight, down to -2.4°C here and the sun has just gone down...!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Nice view to the east now, the shower clouds out in the sea are being lit up pink. Shame I can only just see it through the bars on our windows (no I'm not in prison!)

Posted

lightly snowing here again, can see blue sky as well so wont last long

yeah the blue sky will be replaced by black with little twinklee bits...lol:whistling:

Hopefully you'll see big pink cauliflowers floating by dropping copius amounts of the white stuff..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Think there could be some records getting broken...-9.3°C already...!! Utility companies must be rubbing their hands....£££.Keerching £££!!! My heatings hardly been off and it only got to -4°C last night (Rarely gets that cold as we are a sea-side town).. Looks like today has been our first ice day for many years, no doubt TWS will have the statistics on that. If the easterly can hang back for a while it could get even colder tonight, down to -2.4°C here and the sun has just gone down...!!!

Depending on the recording system used, in Cleadon the last ice day was either 31 December 2008 (using 0000-0000) or 2 January 2002 (using 0900-0900). 29th December 2005 was another ice day by the 0000-0000 system, with -1.2C.

However in all three cases it might have been slightly warmer in South Shields.

Posted

Depending on the recording system used, in Cleadon the last ice day was either 31 December 2008 (using 0000-0000) or 2 January 2002 (using 0900-0900). 29th December 2005 was another ice day by the 0000-0000 system, with -1.2C.

However in all three cases it might have been slightly warmer in South Shields.

Cheers Ian , when ive time i'll check out Neil Bradshaws archives the dates you have supplied will give me something to go on, with cleadon being only 2 mile away from me it will be interesting to see how much variation there is if any.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Had a look at Neil's archives on Weather Underground- they only go back to 2005, so I'm not sure about the 2nd January 2002. They indicate that using an 0000-0000 system the last ice day was 29 December 2005 (-0.8 ) while there have been none using the 0900-0900 system.

Posted

-11º now!

Could you be the first to reach the much touted -20?

No showers overnight and today are any coming?

Looking good for your area soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Aye it's a belter. The freezer in the warehouse at work runs at -27 but I don't know when I'm gonna be able to get there - such a shame lol.

It made me laugh before when I was reading some of the threads covering the South. People on there were reporting icicles up to 4 or 5" long!!!!!

Yeah, I've got icicles which are about 6" long but I didn't bother to report them. The gutter has been dripping (heat from the house I presume) and there is a sheet of ice on part of the front window, with icicles above the window and on the bin which is next to the wall.

I can't see much snow tonight, maybe a few light flurries as the wind veers easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yeah, I've got icicles which are about 6" long but I didn't bother to report them. The gutter has been dripping (heat from the house I presume) and there is a sheet of ice on part of the front window, with icicles above the window and on the bin which is next to the wall.

I can't see much snow tonight, maybe a few light flurries as the wind veers easterly.

That is quite biased the south of the region such as teeside is going to see plenty of snow showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

That is quite biased the south of the region such as teeside is going to see plenty of snow showers

I thought that the showers that might hit you are likely to be more frequent than further north but also quite light? Still, the latest radar image shows the showers starting to push inland slightly to the north of Newcastle, albeit weakening as they hit land like the rest of the showers, so many parts of the region should get a further light covering of snow tonight. Hopefully I can get a third day of school tomorrow ;)

Posted

MINUS 7 here and not in the hunt compared Osborne !

I thought that the showers that might hit you are likely to be more frequent than further north but also quite light? Still, the latest radar image shows the showers starting to push inland slightly to the north of Newcastle, albeit weakening as they hit land like the rest of the showers, so many parts of the region should get a further light covering of snow tonight. Hopefully I can get a third day of school tomorrow ;)

We have about 12" here and its getting very difficult to travel-If there is much more tonight I will have a problem as I have to go to the RVI ttomorrow-but what will be will be (heaves a sigh).

Posted

Just been trying to dig the car out for the past 2hrs and have had to abandon it. The ice was solid and it was like trying to chip away at a concrete wall with a toffee hammer.

Took some photos so i can text them to the boss in the morning :drinks:

Posted

The radar show snow not far away and i can see the clouds but they are taking an age to arrive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

12z NMM shows snow for all tonight and then a trough moving in taking a direct hit from Northumberland to North Yorkshire. The 06z had this feature just catching the South of the region. With all the uncertainty about in such a short time scale I guess it's all to play for tonight. Another night of radar watching!

Edit: NAE goes for something similar to the NMM with and upgrade in precipitation for tomorrow morning. It's probably a little further South than the NMM but action for all.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

Omg still no snow i can see them pink fluffy clouds grrr lol tongue.gif they have now moved to here and pink clouds starting to cover thee skyy!"!!!

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

yip it's a classic radar and lampost night tonight lol.

And another night of Kay going off it when I open the door every 5 mins lol.

Posted

Omg still no snow i can see them pink fluffy clouds grrr lol tongue.gif they have now moved to here and pink clouds starting to cover thee skyy!"!!!

its snowing now in middlesbrough parkend