Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I think you are now entering the category of dangerously and damagingly cold. Making my -7c here look mild!

... and my -3.9c even more! :wallbash:

Exceptional values for 8pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The problem is an area of cloud/light snow is expected to move into my area by dawn which will ruin a very cold night, I better get some snow out of it or I won't be happy.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

How long would it take too defrost Oon in a microwave????

I'd say five minutes???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The problem is an area of cloud/light snow is expected to move into my area by dawn which will ruin a very cold night, I better get some snow out of it or I won't be happy.

might get a bit of both, -10C may be reached, due to cloud over at 4am, but unlikely as min temp usually 8am

Posted

my car had problems this morning when the water pump froze solid, this is serious cold! I am reqady for the fuel to freeze tonight

I can relate to that we had to jump start the landy this morning and all the doors had frozen shut.

Posted

might get a bit of both, -10C may be reached, due to cloud over at 4am, but unlikely as min temp usually 8am

Below -7c here already, so -10c should be achieved.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Exceptionally cold in west Wales also.

This mornings min: -15.1c

Todays max: -5.1c.

Current temp: -13.1c.

A chance that I will experience my coldest in the UK tomorrow morning (previously -16c twice in Coventry 81/82).

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Quote from the Met Office:

The freezing conditions are forecast to continue until at least the middle of the month with further snowfall expected, especially in the south and east.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/pr20100107.html

Posted

To put these temps in context, at the South Pole it's only -23C (yes, i know its summer...)

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/NZSP.html

Hmmm, only -23 and can't ask day or nightime temperatures.. So that's as warm as it gets??

When do they lose the sun for more than 5 minutes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Refer to my post on Page 4 RAINx3 with interest.

Posted

Should be much fun! Oooooo, I could crush a grape!drinks.gif

But spare a thought for those profoundly (and potentially very dangerously) affected by this prolonged cold snap - not solely elderly and otherwise vulnerable people, but average 'folks' trying to earn a living / run a business / travel. Can we lower the 'yahoo' volume about this - and remember (and respect) that for many people, it's anything but 'fun' and potentially lethal.

Posted

But spare a thought for those profoundly (and potentially very dangerously) affected by this prolonged cold snap - not solely elderly and otherwise vulnerable people, but average 'folks' trying to earn a living / run a business / travel. Can we lower the 'yahoo' volume about this - and remember (and respect) that for many people, it's anything but 'fun' and potentially lethal.

Totaly agree Ian we need to think before we speak! What is your professional opinion on the track of the low next week. This clearly has a huge bearing on your area as it will make the difference between a blizzard / rapid thaw or some light snow with continued cold. What will you and your collegues be telling viewers about next week? (As little as possible I suspect!)

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

I don't agree with this viewpoint, how is not enjoying it going to help anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Apart from the infirm Ian, its only NOT fun because the UK is crap at handling cold snowy weather. Serves our right for selling ALL our energy capability

BFTP

So being less ' yahoo' will make it milder then.

People manage in far colder conditions than this in many other places.

Posted

Would I be way off the mark in thinking that this country's government are so stupid, that they never invisaged anything like this in terms of cold weather occuring what with these money grabbing scientists banging on about 'Global Warming' wanting to be funded for there research, and in that, they (The Gov) are clouded in there judgement budget wise for dealing with countrywide disturbance/emergencies etc?

I think they must be wondering what all the Global Warming fuss is all about, this is sure enough evidance to prove otherwise!

Posted

Would I be way off the mark in thinking that this country's government are so stupid, that they never invisaged anything like this in terms of cold weather occuring what with these money grabbing scientists banging on about 'Global Warming' wanting to be funded for there research, and in that, they (The Gov) are clouded in there judgement budget wise for dealing with countrywide disturbance/emergencies etc?

I think they must be wondering what all the Global Warming fuss is all about, this is sure enough evidance to prove otherwise!

its once in a thirty year event. Very hard to plan for. Anyway, people are coping and getting on with it. Don't believe the hype.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

I am rather surprised at this.

Frankly we can't influence the weather as you know, so whatever the reactions it will not change the reality, we all have to deal with it and endure as best we can - there is nothing wrong with enjoying the synoptics and appreciating them.

I run a business and have a family to support, so I know only too well how tough it can be.

Posted

Dear me, some of us have waited decades for this to happen, someone needs to lighten up a touch!