Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Updated BBC maps on the BBC news dont look right. They barely show any snow graphics now???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

As I mentioned in the other topic the band will weaken considerably as it pushes southwards

Its not just that. They showed rain for the coast of wales and SW England when they are obviously having snow. Was even rain on the coasts of Scotland.

Posted

this regards to the cold spell. why is it leeds never ever ever gets temperatures like -15? manchester got down to that and what makes leeds for example diffeent. its every cold spell an dit never fails to surprise me. i don't think it ever hardly drops below -5 in spells like this. why does it never get minus double digits. here we are predicted -10 tonght, my guess leeds will be -6 or something. bloody annoying.

Posted

UK regions:

East of England

North West England

Wales

South West England

West Midlands

London & South East England

East Midlands

Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Wales and England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times, especially in the south. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1105 Thu 7 Jan

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

CAn someone explain to me where Sunday's supposed snow is coming from? Is it just going to be many heavy showers or something more organised - both Sky, the Beeb and the met seem to be hinting at something but nothing looks "organised" on the charts (except the fax - what's the difference between a front in solid black and one that is just an outline?)

DS

Edited by desperately seeking

Met Office just put new warnings out for Sunday and Monday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Wales and England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times, especially in the south. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

CAn someone explain to me where Sunday's supposed snow is coming from? Is it just going to be many heavy showers or something more organised - both Sky, the Beeb and the met seem to be hinting at something but nothing looks "organised" on the charts (except the fax - what's the difference between a front in solid black and one that is just an outline?)

12z Fax chart for midday Sunday (I think)

DS

There's a developing area of low pressure crossing from the continent bringing instability. The hollow symbols on the front indicate a upper cold front.

"Upper fronts represent the boundaries between air masses at levels above the surface. For instance, the passage of an upper warm front may bring warmer air at an altitude of 10,000 ft, without bringing a change of air mass at the surface. "

Posted

Met Office just put new warnings out for Sunday and Monday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

There's a developing area of low pressure crossing from the continent bringing instability. The hollow symbols on the front indicate a upper cold front.

"Upper fronts represent the boundaries between air masses at levels above the surface. For instance, the passage of an upper warm front may bring warmer air at an altitude of 10,000 ft, without bringing a change of air mass at the surface. "

Excellent - thanks for that. Now I know what to look for I will allow my hopes to elevate somewhat! :D

DS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

http://news.bbc.co.u...ics/8443687.stm

Met office gets a grilling over this winter

Very interesting, thanks for that.

Posted

Urgh.

Back on topic, just dipped below -7º here after reaching only -5.2º earlier on...smashing my previous lowest maximum of -3.6º.

Do you reckon you could get -15c tonight OON?

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised actually. Last night it was -5.6º at midnight and we ended up with -13.5º. This afternoon, it's already -8.3º!

That really is astonishingly cold, the sun hasn't even set yet!

Posted

The sun is still, barely, up and it's now -9.2º!

You haven't put that sensor in your freezer have you?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Sun has just about set and the temperature is falling very quickly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It is now -10º...and it's not even 4pm!

Truly astonishing.

Wow!

Posted

Is this The Day After Tomorrow coming true or something? I haven't even hit -3c yet this evening, and my lowest temp last night was only -10.1c! :help: