Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Having looked through the charts for today, its not looking good for the west coastal areas. Maybe a stray flurry or two come sunday..but its looking to me to be a cold dry period. Maybe some more snow and shower for pennine districts..all the action will be to southeast and midlands come the weekend.

I dont expect coastal areas to get below -5C tonight i think its a bit wishful thinking if you don't have much snow under foot.

Basically its back to square one...snow increasingly heavy at times in the south east, possibly some wintery showers impacting the south west turning more to snow further inland, midlands will see some snow possibly heavy at times, nw will very likely be dry and well below freezing with mostly sunny skies..possibly a few rogue showers making it over the pennines but suspect areas will be the place to be to get those showers.

So yeah very cold north easterly wind with mostly sunny skies by day and bitingly cold at night..we'll need to see some improvements on the charts for the west coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Last weekend i took my son over Winter hill to Tockholes to do some sledging, i have told him we can go again this weekend , does anyone have any suggestions for other places within 1hr of Wigan that would offer as good if not better sledging conditions (that the public can access)

Posted

Hopefully we'll have a nice clear idea of what will happen tomorrow/sat morning..maybe we will get a nice prolonged period of snow for our region..which would make the last snow even pale in comparison id like to think so.

My temp: -3.2C

Liverpool Airport: -2C

Last night it was a lot colder both at the airport and here.

JLA at 430pm recorded -4.1C

I recorded - 5.3C

Today we recorded a 2nd Iceday. Max tem -1.6C at 1.50pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Max today was -0.3c. -2.9c currently in my enclosed yard, so it's lower than that.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Last weekend i took my son over Winter hill to Tockholes to do some sledging, i have told him we can go again this weekend , does anyone have any suggestions for other places within 1hr of Wigan that would offer as good if not better sledging conditions (that the public can access)

Not had a look myself, but what about Parbold hill - its only 10-15 mins from you. I saw people there last night with skis and snowboards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hopefully we'll have a nice clear idea of what will happen tomorrow/sat morning..maybe we will get a nice prolonged period of snow for our region..which would make the last snow even pale in comparison id like to think so.

Last BBC weather showed snow on Sat blowing east to west on a strong wind right over to west coastal areas. I remain sceptical for this far west, but it was good eye candy...

Posted

heavy snow forcast friday morning around 3am for oldham Chadderton, i hope for this good.gif

where did you get that info from?

Posted

Yeah.....I was just wondering when we will be hearing items on the news about people drowning after walking on thin ice. It will happen-question of time.

Sadly already happened down here... A mans body was found under the ice at Lakeside in Surrey (where they play the darts)... nonono.gif

Posted

-3.8c here right on the coast! Got down to -6.6c last night which was the lowest i've recorded, looks like it might be beaten tonight :lol:

Posted

BBC predicting a more organised batch of snow in the north east to move south west into mid and north wales over night. Can anyone shed some light on this? Whats the chances of this effecting the south of our region?

Cheers.

Mark.

Posted

BBC predicting a more organised batch of snow in the north east to move south west into mid and north wales over night. Can anyone shed some light on this? Whats the chances of this effecting the south of our region?

Cheers.

Mark.

Yes can someone shed some light cant see where thry could be

Posted

Them showers in the North East seem to be making good progress across the NE and North Sea at the moment and if they stay travelling in the current direction should be on for a direct hit for most of the region. All of that is if they get across the Pennines. But will be radar watching with some hope for the next few hours good.gif

Posted

I think the winds will need to switch around to a strong easterly before I'll be taking interest of anymore snow for Oldham. The North Eastly is just killed off by the Pennines. Maybe they know something we don't, but I expect they are just playing on the safe side, and thinking we might catch a rogue shower that will just about scrape itself over the Pennines.

The day we got 25+ cm of snow on Tuesday, they had 3 glorious sunny graphics on their 3 day forecast. Take it with a pinch of what we are in desperate need of....rock salt.

-13.1c (digital) last night in Lymm, north Cheshire, virtually identical to the -13c (mercury) from December 1995. Manchester Airport 8.5 miles ESE of here recorded -12c on that occasion.

Maximum temperature today was only -7c.

This surpasses the maximum of -5c in December 2000.

Strictly speaking, the exposure would be regarded as non-standard because the location is partly shaded and doesn't receive full sunlight, but this is because the village is on a north-facing slope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-4.1c and cold. :(

Posted

It's saying -13c here, can anyone from Oldham area confirm this. I am relying on a Vista desktop application. Says -11c for Manchester at present too.

Posted

-11C here in Irlam at the moment. So it says..Mebbe it's brokens? I have no idea why it's so cold here. It usually isnt. Mr Data?

Dodge, I can confirm it's most likely true. Manchester set for another cold one...Lets beat my -15C!!!!

Edited by Glenn W