Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
OON, is your site malfunctioning? -11.3c at 4:30pm sounds ridiculous.

Nope - it's working perfectly. If you look at nearby sites (5 and 10 miles away) you'll see similar temperatures.

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk/

http://www.murton-weather.co.uk/

I am in an extreme frost hollow, and I am 600ft up. You can't compare conditions here to anywhere around Greater Manchester or Cheshire.

Posted

They might be expecting it to plummet -7C in an hour

The forecast I watched this morning was going for -7c so that's quite a difference in a few hours!

Karyo

Posted

I think the first one will slowly weaken as it heads over land but we should still manage to get some light snow showers tonight (after midnight).

The second one looks more juicy according to the precipitation forecasts and as you say the easterly flow will help to push it inland.

Karyo

Yep, the first area seems to be dying as soon as it hits land at the moment. Light snow flurries at best I think, if it makes it at all. I guess the rising pressure hepls to kill the showers

Posted

Well last night tempertures got to a record -14.5c according to the metoffice, all 3 rivers froze over and they are going for -10 tonight.

Is there anymore snow on the way for this area?, also john hammond on one of his forecast earlier said thing might warm up alittle next week, is that true.

-22 last night http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/road_closures_across_cumbria_as_freeze_deepens?referrerPath=news

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If the cloud and showers come in it's certain it'll go up to -2 or -3, I cant see the temperature falling to -12C thereafter, it could hit it beforehand though

Posted

If only one of these would hit ussmile.gif

http://www.sat24.com...at=ir&type=loop

One off northumberland, the other off Norway.

Need to see some evidence of rotation in the second one, suggestive of PL - but instability doesn't seem to be there really.

Edited by Maz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well last night tempertures got to a record -14.5c according to the metoffice, all 3 rivers froze over and they are going for -10 tonight.

Is there anymore snow on the way for this area?, also john hammond on one of his forecast earlier said thing might warm up alittle next week, is that true.

-22 last night http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/road_closures_across_cumbria_as_freeze_deepens?referrerPath=news

;) When websites are printing off flase info like that it's no wonder people are extremely sceptical of the press.

-18C in Crosby? I missed that ;)

edit: ohhh the Crosby in Cumbria! whoops!

Posted

-5 and dropping. Not got above -2 here today. Apparently there's something brewing just north of where my parents are by Mcr Airport, I can just about see it behind the black 'Manchester' dot on the met radar!

Edited by Louise

Posted

Woodfords dropping again. -4.0'c to -8.6'c in over a hour

Buxton temp dropping -3.5'c a HOUR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Nope - it's working perfectly. If you look at nearby sites (5 and 10 miles away) you'll see similar temperatures.

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk/

http://www.murton-weather.co.uk/

I am in an extreme frost hollow, and I am 600ft up. You can't compare conditions here to anywhere around Greater Manchester or Cheshire.

Cool! :clap:

Still -3c here.

Woodfords dropping again. -4.0'c to -8.6'c in over a hour

Buxton temp dropping -3.5'c a HOUR

It's probably due to fog.

Posted

Down to -12.3º now. Astonishing!

You're competing with Shap @ -13c and Altanharra @ -15c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

-4.5c already here!!:cold::cold: It got down to a record low (for me) of -7.4c last night.

Posted

-8.2c here. -4.5c maximum today and college is closed again tomorrow. I am now at the point where I want to go in! Exams soon.

Edited by John_T

Posted

-8.2c here. -4.5c maximum today and college is closed again tomorrow. I am now at the point where I want to go in! Exams soon.

I know i hope it doesnt get to snowy on sunday night

Posted

You're competing with Shap @ -13c and Altanharra @ -15c.

I'm only 7 miles from Shap as the crow flies so we're always going to be fairly similar. I think the Met Office weather station is actually outside Shap in a place called Wet Sleddale, but it's close enough!

Posted

Been for a walk around town before Sunset. I cant believe the ignorance of some kids/people around here who think its safe enough to go walking across the outer banks of the Reservoir. Some people definitely have a death wish.

Yeah.....I was just wondering when we will be hearing items on the news about people drowning after walking on thin ice. It will happen-question of time.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Last night I got a min of -8.3c and today a max of 1.2c - it is now at -4.5c (not bad for 5:30)

Posted

I'm only 7 miles from Shap as the crow flies so we're always going to be fairly similar. I think the Met Office weather station is actually outside Shap in a place called Wet Sleddale, but it's close enough!

Nice temp OON. Sheltered parts of Eden Valley could be lower still, the topography is ideal for frost hollows.

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Cool, must be a cold place to live!

What's your lowest ever temperature record?

Posted

Nice temp OON. Sheltered parts of Eden Valley could be lower still, the topography is ideal for frost hollows.

Mark

If I find them, I'm going to take a hair dryer to their equipment. I was very surprised to see Carlisle lower than me this morning!

Cool, must be a cold place to live!

What's your lowest ever temperature record?

My lowest ever temp was this morning! -13.5º. It's now -12.6º so I reckon it's going to be broken; this time last night, it was -4.6º.