Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-2.5 here risisng very slowly, Party cloudy at the moment.

Edited by thewirral

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

We got down to -6.0c last night, and it's currently -4.0c. Not as cold as expected - But will almost certainly be double that -6c tonight!

yes the lower our temps rise today, the colder we can expect tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

yes the lower our temps rise today, the colder we can expect tonight.

I don't think it's going to be above -2c today, it's going to be -4c by 4pm :)

Posted

I don't think it's going to be above -2c today, it's going to be -4c by 4pm :)

expecting a max today -1/-2c if im lucky, still -5.3c now, we are in the days maximum sun heating for the next 3 hours

Edited by james12

Posted

Manchester Airport TAF is going for snow showers during the early hours

EGCC 070505Z 0706/0812 34004KT CAVOK PROB30 0706/0711 0300 FZFG VV/// PROB40 TEMPO 0801/0807 1800 SHSN BKN005

If that turns out correct, I suspect tomorrow morning won't be as cold as this morning but temperatures should dip away rapidly this side of midnight.

Yes, that's good news! The 6z gfs is also showing the showers from the northeast making it to our region. Only light but an upgrade from the 0z. Besides, anything that falls will settle!

Then it shows another band of showers for Friday coming from the east/northeast and more for the weekend.

It is looking very wintry!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Acording to the met office (NW) Woodford reported a minimum of -17.6 last night (0.3f). Woodford took over as the official station from Manchester airport in 2004 and if confirmed may well be a new record minimum for the Greater Manchester area. The met office are checking the Manchester airport records which go back to the 1940's. Manchester Airport reached -15 at 05.50 this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The 1120 update is impressive to say the least.

Manchester AP: -11C

Liverpool AP: 0C

Posted

-2.6c with 2 hours until the sun will be too weak to impact the temperature and melt any snow. No snow has melted apart from on roofs and trees.

Some icicles are getting on 10cm long here. :D

Posted

-3.6c overnight, bright sunny calm morning but still snow lying where untreated

sunshine getting at my weather station showing +8.7c but the mercury in the shade showing -0.5c (don't you just love technology !)

off out to fill the bird feeder :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Thats the great thing about to day, to be quite frank the birds are sh*****g themselves, and look for food to survive, so there are loads of different birds in the garden - more than usual!

Posted

temp reached -3.5c, not sure we will get anything from sundays event as it seems focused to our south, as if they have not had enough!!

there is room for changes we hope.

Edited by james12

Posted

Posted

Manchester Ship Canal has frozen right across from the Lowry to IWMN, it was open water yesterday with some ice at the margins.

Andrew

Posted

Gone up to -1.0c here - It isnt gonna go any higher.

Posted

taken all day to hit -3.3c just now, not long now until they start to fall....

Posted

Must of a been a very cold night round here because some of the condensation on my bedroom window had turned to ice rofl.gif

Bit worried about the Sunday event as the Lancashire area has been taken off the weather advisory mellow.gif

Posted

taken all day to hit -3.3c just now, not long now until they start to fall....

About 23 minuted to be exact. :drinks:

Posted

Yes, that's good news! The 6z gfs is also showing the showers from the northeast making it to our region. Only light but an upgrade from the 0z. Besides, anything that falls will settle!

Then it shows another band of showers for Friday coming from the east/northeast and more for the weekend.

It is looking very wintry!

Karyo

Karyo,

Its only flurries we are talking about really, but falling snow is good no matter what!!

The first little area of showers you mention is the more organised area now intensifying in the North Sea off Aberdeen. Its the little disturbance I mentioned off Norway yeterday evening. Its not really developed much, but should give fun and games in the Borders/Northumberland and we may get the tail end in the second half of the night.

EDIT: There is also another little disturbance off Norway too, which I guess could spawn your second area of showers.

Edited by Maz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Bit worried about the Sunday event as the Lancashire area has been taken off the weather advisory mellow.gif

Yea saw that but there's still time for changes. I don't think we've seen the end of our share of snow just yet. There's always the possibility of a snowfest breakdown at the end of all this, but I'm not thinking that far ahead just yet. Sunday's still 72 hrs away. That far in the past I was expecting sleet at best!