Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

think ive reached my max temp today -2.9c at 13.50, now fallen to -3.1c

lovely winters day clear skies and all day frost.....

altnaharra highlands -12c already!! -20c or less possible?

Altnaharra will easily hit -20C, as long as no breezes or cloud intefere.

-22C perhaps the finishing value.

Above zero in the Wirral? I just went outside in Wallasey with my gloves on and I thought my fingers were going to fall off.

aye 0.3C now, still dripping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Already -1.1c here.

Max today was -0.4c (First ice day - woo)

Latest BBC forecast showed a staggering -13c here tonight! I can believe it aswell.

My school may re-open tomorrow despite the bad conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Already -1.1c here.

Max today was -0.4c (First ice day - woo)

Latest BBC forecast showed a staggering -13c here tonight! I can believe it aswell.

My school may re-open tomorrow despite the bad conditions.

are you sure it didnt mean Manchester?

Posted

Braved the cold to get into work today only to find out when I got there that I could have worked from home

Got sent home early at 2pm so not too bad.

Literally no thaw has taken place at all, so next lot of snow should see a nice few cm's added on

Posted

The latest BBC PPN looks good for us in the morning!- see attached

Where is it?

The latest satellite picture clearly shows the two areas of interest: the first one is to the east of Scotland and northeast England, moving slowly southwestwards. I think Pennine and southern parts of our region are more likely to be affected by snow showers in the early hours. Maimly light falls.

The second one is to the west of Norway and as it moves southwestwards it should intensify somewhat and affect eastern Endland tomorrow afternoon. Then, with the developing easterly breeze, it is likely to cross the Pennines and affect us by the evening!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Where is it?

The latest satellite picture clearly shows the two areas of interest: the first one is to the east of Scotland and northeast England, moving slowly southwestwards. I think Pennine and southern parts of our region are more likely to be affected by snow showers in the early hours. Maimly light falls.

The second one is to the west of Norway and as it moves southwestwards it should intensify somewhat and affect eastern Endland tomorrow afternoon. Then, with the developing easterly breeze, it is likely to cross the Pennines and affect us by the evening!

http://www.metoffice...test_uk_ir.html

Karyo

Sorry, it didn't attached fist time

post-8881-12628778378052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alister

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Karyo

A nice east-west band will do nicely - strectching right across here please!

Edit - just seen your attachment Alister - maybe I'm too NW on this occasion. Good luck to all though.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

-0.6C already here, it's going to be record breakingly cold tonight!

Posted

A nice east-west band will do nicely - strectching right across here please!

Edit - just seen your attachment Alister - maybe I'm too NW on this occasion. Good luck to all though.

I should really go up to Preston on Friday, think I'll ahve a look in the morning, M61 has been a bit dicey!

Posted

Sorry, it didn't attached fist time

Thanks Alister,

the 12z gfs (out now) is also picking up on this trough. Look at +15hours http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

It places it a bit further north than UKMO/Met Office though.

Edit: Nice area of snow coming tomorrow afternoon from the northeast! This is associated with the second trough!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Where is it?

http://www.metoffice...test_uk_ir.html

Karyo

Karyo,

Yes those are the two areas. The first one started off just off western Norway too, yesterday afternoon. The first one has developed a bit, will interact with the edge of the little low off SE England soon, and thats the key time. Will it disintegrate or get a bit more organised?

More of an E'ly flow may help the second feature get inland tomorrow?

Posted

oddly now the temperature has just jumped up, it will commencee freefall though in a little while

Posted

Karyo,

Yes those are the two areas. The first one started off just off western Norway too, yesterday afternoon. The first one has developed a bit, will interact with the edge of the little low off SE England soon, and thats the key time. Will it disintegrate or get a bit more organised?

More of an E'ly flow may help the second feature get inland tomorrow?

I think the first one will slowly weaken as it heads over land but we should still manage to get some light snow showers tonight (after midnight).

The second one looks more juicy according to the precipitation forecasts and as you say the easterly flow will help to push it inland.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

and here are a few more pics from round and about rochdale

post-8860-12628807412252_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628807668452_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628807962452_thumb.jpg

post-8860-12628808318752_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628809030552_thumb.jpg

as I said earlier - these are low resolution files - if anyone wants a higher resolution , just ask

V

Posted

-0.6C already here, it's going to be record breakingly cold tonight!

Only -0.6c?

It's almost -3c here!

Posted

Temperature has stopped stone dead now, it may have but the sensor sometimes stops when it's falling very fast and sometimes doesn't record for anything from 2-20 minutes so it can go from being -2 to being -3C in a second :D

Ah no it's just dropped another 0.1C but it's stopped falling as fast now, still at -3.0C at 4:30pm it's going to be incredibly difficult not to set a new record

Posted

Been for a walk around town before Sunset. I cant believe the ignorance of some kids/people around here who think its safe enough to go walking across the outer banks of the Reservoir. Some people definitely have a death wish.

Posted

Cold it may be but check out this awesome sunset!

http://www.wirralcam.org/westkirby.shtml

Posted

Temperature has stopped stone dead now, it may have but the sensor sometimes stops when it's falling very fast and sometimes doesn't record for anything from 2-20 minutes so it can go from being -2 to being -3C in a second :oops:

Ah no it's just dropped another 0.1C but it's stopped falling as fast now, still at -3.0C at 4:30pm it's going to be incredibly difficult not to set a new record

Stephen, don't forget to update your sig. :)

Recently moved sensor, but it's -3 outside now. :)

-10c to -12c is easily achieveable!

Just dropped below -9º here!!!

OON, is your site malfunctioning? -11.3c at 4:30pm sounds ridiculous.

Posted

The latest bbc24 forecast had Manchester -12c in the morning! This is the lowest temperature I've ever seen on a bbc forecast for a city! It still showed snow showers overnight which seems quite odd to me. I would expect the temperature to be higher under partly cloudy conditions!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

They might be expecting it to plummet -7C in an hour