Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-14 in Bramhall Village, measured on my garage roof. 0800. That has to be a record. I can only ever remember seeing -10 around here once before, that was in 99 or 2000 I think.

For those that want to know, if you walk out into it, it feels a little chilly. Makes your eyes water.

Its not the coldest I have ever experienced, that was -21 in Aviemore in the late 90's sometime. That was something else. I then placed a bottle of mineral water on the car roof, and watched the ice form in it !.

Posted

Good morning!

Astonishing temperatures across the region! -12c in Manchester city centre! I think the coldest I managed last winter was

-6 and that was a reasonably cold winter too!

As for any more snowfall, it is worth watching that little trough, currently to the east of Scotland. This is moving slowly southwards but the more dominant low to the south of it is going to shift it southwestwards and it should cross our region tonight. Obviously, most of it's energy will be felt to the east of the Pennines but it might keep some precipitation for us too.

The gfs 0z, doesn't show it making over the Pennines but the UKMO does to an extend. So a dusting of snow is possible tonight. Let's hope the 6z will show this!

Both gfs and UKMO pick up a band of showers for tomorrow afternoon/early evening and then another opportunity on Saturday from the northeast.

So, loads to look out for in the next couple of days!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

I was going to stride in here with my chest puffed out and announce that it was -12 in my garden at 6.30 this morning. Doesn't seem like a big deal now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Exceptional conditions here on the coast, -6.5C currently (the minimum) and the lowest temperature for 15 years!

Posted

Can't see where this snow is coming from tonight but for the Beeb to mention it they must be pretty certain. She also mentioned the possibility of Sunday, at the moment its only forecast to get to the Midlands but it only takes a slight shift and were under a band of heavy snow and strong winds.

Posted

That's a beautiful scene! I can't see a football match taking place there for some time! :lol:

Karyo

I dont think there will be a football match there even in the middle of July tbh! :lol:

Posted

That's a beautiful scene! I can't see a football match taking place there for some time! :lol:

Karyo

and it'll be a long time before it does :lol:

thats the cricket ground :lol:

Posted

looks like the Cricket pitch rather than Man Utds ground lol...

Haha! That shows how much I know about sport! :lol: :lol:

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

aye thats the Ctricket pitch, you wouldnt see shocking groundsmanship like that at OT stadium

Posted

According to BBC Weather site it was -16 in Clitheroe at 7AM. At what sort of temperatures will we be seeing ice form on our major rivers like the Ribble?

http://news.bbc.co.u...?area=Clitheroe

Well I did say last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see some areas get below -15!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

and it'll be a long time before it does :(

thats the cricket ground :(

The stands have subsided under the weight of snow! :rolleyes:

Posted

Well I did say last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see some areas get below -15!

Morning All :)

-14 on a personal station a couple of miles away from me was the min here last night. It's currently -9 ouch!

Beautiful day again - clear skies, hardly any wind and crisp underfoot. Amazing spell of weather!

Posted

Manchester Airport TAF is going for snow showers during the early hours

EGCC 070505Z 0706/0812 34004KT CAVOK PROB30 0706/0711 0300 FZFG VV/// PROB40 TEMPO 0801/0807 1800 SHSN BKN005

If that turns out correct, I suspect tomorrow morning won't be as cold as this morning but temperatures should dip away rapidly this side of midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Looking like another snow event reaching us by the start of the new week. expect many upgrades!

Look through the Model output discussion thread for more info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-5.5c and rising very slowly, could be ice day number 3 in a row today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We got down to -6.0c last night, and it's currently -4.0c. Not as cold as expected - But will almost certainly be double that -6c tonight!