Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

very heavy snow in Scunny now .....another 2-3 cm at least

after this shower were in another gap again :drinks:

Posted

BBC seem to be very keen on forecasting "significant snowfall" for the NE of england, with the graphics showing Lincs and South Yorkshire, moving in towards the east midlands for tomorrow. Where is this likely to come from, because there was no mention of it yesterday at all. Thanks for any replies.

Posted

I can see the clouds brewing up here beautifully :acute:

Posted

Brian, If you're on, it looks like you're in for a pasting soon shok.gif

I now know what they mean by localised snow showers after last night

Normanton WF6 had up to 5cms in just over 2 hours

Normanton is approx ESE from Leeds

Pontefract centre about 3 miles to our NE had nothing

Leeds near Elland Road where I am working today has had nothing

Now I understand the likes of JH when he says it is difficult to know where this stuff will fall....

Posted

tha north sea seems to be geting colder jan 6th retrieved6jan2010.pngdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

look at the area around the wash, gess that means more snow on the coastsdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning,

Just watched a Chris Fawkes presenting a forecast on N24, map showed extensive heavy and frequent snowfall throughout tomorrow covering East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (only). Something to get very :whistling::yahoo: about!

Edited by rikki

Posted

light to moderate snow here at the mo

EDIT:heavy

Edited by willkani

Posted

Last night oxford got down to -18, but manchester also got down to -15. what i really do not get is why many rural parts of yorkshire keep getting relativly mild temps at night compared to some cities what are recording doubledigit minus numbers. tonight on bbc site, it is saying -9 and -10 for next two nights, so i keep the faith. anyway does anyone know how cold it got in yorkshire last night?

Posted

I got -5.6 last night snowlover, which is cold enough for me :). The temperature plummeted pretty quickly after sunset last night but rose again due to warmth from the North Sea. Those further inland would not have had this.

Edited by jackst01

Posted

Hi lewis,Just been outside and the wind seems to of picked up a notch. Is it me or has the temperature dropped cause its absolutely freezing. showers have just stoped over east Hull.

Posted

I got -5.6 last night snowlover, which is cold enough for me cold.gif.

yes but, that is not unusual, -15 in manchester is more. why did leeds not get something like that? everytime in these cold spells leeds always seems to have balmy temperatures. i am not in leed, i am in kirkless so the temp in rural spots would be colder, but still.rolleyes.gif

Last night oxford got down to -18, but manchester also got down to -15. what i really do not get is why many rural parts of yorkshire keep getting relativly mild temps at night compared to some cities what are recording doubledigit minus numbers. tonight on bbc site, it is saying -9 and -10 for next two nights, so i keep the faith. anyway does anyone know how cold it got in yorkshire last night?

leeds -6c

yeadon -6c

leeming -8c around tht

north east leeds -9c

And actually greater manchester area got down to -18c. truely astonishing!! tht SURELY must provide problems of its own. I think generally we are not having such cold temps because we have a slight influence from the east such as a stronger breeze and the odd patch of cloud cover however oterside of the pennines are very sheltered with no cloud or breeze. hope that helps

Posted

Does anybody know when Leeds can expect some more snowfall. Can't see any for the next 24 hours :)

Posted

Have just edited my post for an explanation, but I agree with what you are saying. Manchester had the coldest night since records began!

Posted

yes but, that is not unusual, -15 in manchester is more. why did leeds not get something like that? everytime in these cold spells leeds always seems to have balmy temperatures. i am not in leed, i am in kirkless so the temp in rural spots would be colder, but still.rolleyes.gif

Eastern areas and even inland parts to the east of the Pennines will always be milder in this setup due to the warming effects of the North Sea. Western areas and central parts of England which recorded the low temperatures last night are relatively sheltered which allows very low values to be recorded.

Currently snowing heavily at the moment. :)

Posted

Hi lewis,Just been outside and the wind seems to of picked up a notch. Is it me or has the temperature dropped cause its absolutely freezing. showers have just stoped over east Hull.

Hello Tinker,

It's the dew point and the windchill factor, the temp is only at 1.4c. So add the strength of the wind and it will feel bitter.

Looking very good tomorrow :D

i am from the dewsbury, kirklees area though, so i am more to the pennines where it would be colder. do i have a better chance of low minimums at night. manchester at -18 is astonishing, that must be a record.

yep i think it was recorded at -18.6c

Posted

Hi again and thanks. yes i just watched the forecast and it looks like we may be in for a shower or two tomorrow,although with our luck the forecast will probably change and it will miss us again. Bit gutted we didnt get more really.

Posted

-12 near here at Linton on Ouse. Further snow showers pushing inland over the next few hours.

Hi again and thanks. yes i just watched the forecast and it looks like we may be in for a shower or two tomorrow,although with our luck the forecast will probably change and it will miss us again. Bit gutted we didnt get more really.

second that