Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

about 1cm so far, but a nice even covering on top of the half-frozen slush on the roads - going to be extremely dangerous driving on that!

Blizzard-like conditions here, though the snow is light it is horizontal too. Small flakes

Judging by radar going to turn heavy in about 10 mins,

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

I posted this just before it was locked: The showers coming in off The Wash seem to be dying as soon as they hit land, which is a shame. Quick question - the showers coming off the North Sea further north are keeping the same intensity and don't die away. How come the showers coming off the North Sea into The Wash die quickly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
<br>Is indeed, what a small world! The road was a nightmare in the snowy spell before Xmas as its so steep on the way out, and the way its coming down now, looks like cars won't get out tomorrow. Fortunately I parked my car yesterday up on top the hill where the roads are level and salted before the snows came.<br><br>Still having to pinch myself that the current phenomenal long cold spell is actually reality, with more to come. For years we've been waiting for this, long overdue, with all the hot air about the even larger teapot and global warming each winter.<br>

I know what you mean. I remember vividly January 87 on top of the North Downs (Wrotham Hill) and february 91 in the same place, just superb for a cold weather fan (in fact it's those winters that got me hooked). After 15 years or so of mild and damp winters with 1 day snow events (from falling to melting) this year is a revelation and maybe a sign of times ahead?

Here's hoping!!!

Edit to say that i posted this before the thread was locked and that's why it looks so mental.

Edited by winterfreak

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Looks like Ramsgate, Minster, Sandwich and possibly Deal that will receive the heaviest ppn soon.

Posted

Just for you Kold!

BBC London are reporting from guildford live, looks like some good snow in the high street but he said EDF have confirmed houses are loosing power in Guildford.

Posted

About 5cm of fresh snow in the last 2 hours down by the river just west of Maidstone, and still snowing nicely. Surprised, as it looked like the heavy band would clear away south quite quickly, but it seems to have become something of a streamer.

Mark

Posted

Quick question for one of the more experienced members....looking at the latest Fax's for the weekend, inparticularly Sunday, the thicknesses are trending higher.....will this have an impact on convection/instability and ultimately produce less intense snow showers? Although the easterly thats shown looks like a real 'lazy wind' to me! :shok:

Edited by MattS

Posted

Question for one of the experts....

The LP that is moving away from the south coast on the NAE is 998mbs. The LP that is to hit us tomorrow currently swirling off the coast of Denmark is 1004mbs.

Will the difference in pressure be significant. Could it deepen slightly. What I'm trying to get at is if the one that spun off the south coast deposited so much, is it possible this one could do the same?

Posted

Horrendous drive home from Maidstone to Iwade. Strangely enough the snow is deeper here in Iwade, around 3 inches. Must admit I haven't seen snow that heavy for some years. Those 3 inches fell in under 2 hours and its still snowing as I type.

My wife has had to abandon her car and her father (who is gritting Detling Hill and A249) is coming to get her.

Best snowfall here for a number of years, we must have hit it just about perfect.

James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Quick question for one of the more experienced members....looking at the latest Fax's for the weekend, inparticularly Sunday, the thicknesses are trending higher.....will this have an impact on convection/instability and ultimately produce less intense snow showers? Although the easterly thats shown looks like a real 'lazy wind' to me! :shok:

This out for Sunday! :)http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

"Further outbreaks of snow will turn heavy through today giving fresh accumulations of 4 to 8 cm in places and perhaps locally 10 to 15 cm. This will continue to cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads."

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

about 1cm so far, but a nice even covering on top of the half-frozen slush on the roads - going to be extremely dangerous driving on that!

Blizzard-like conditions here, though the snow is light it is horizontal too. Small flakes

Judging by radar going to turn heavy in about 10 mins,

Had nearly 4 cms up here on the hill(Police HQ). How long do reckon it will last?

Edited by k66yla

Posted
Posted by NorthNorfolkWeather

Hi Milly,

We managed to get down to -5.8 in Aldborough last weekend, and you know how close to the coast we are. It was brass monkey weather

I've been thinking about your area actually. What I would give to be there right now, and with the possibility of being snowed in too. Magical!

Posted

Ppn is pepping up near Tenterden.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

More heavy snow to come here from Maidstone way, going to be over 10cm by the time this lot clears later. Chaos on the roads in the morning as this freezes in the early hours, for those who are brave enough to drive.