Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

ASII_20100106_2115.png

Two comma's now indicated in the satrep - one out east, one north.

One north could give a HUGE dumping without realising as it's not being reported in weather forecasts - it's a northerly airflow, and that comma feature is in the flow moving south.

The east one (our Denmark friend or foe) - still too early to call, but it's becoming quite impressive now: http://www.sat24.com/scan

A bit of tease, perhaps? More interested in the outer bands than the LP direction..

I've been following the Denmark feature all night - in fact i think i'm freezing to death sitting here at the computer - haven't even moved to get a cup o tea!! Seems to making a beeline for north east england but the bands are quite extensive so who knows YET!

One north could give a HUGE dumping without realising as it's not being reported in weather forecasts - it's a northerly airflow, and that comma feature is in the flow moving south.

The east one (our Denmark friend or foe) - still too early to call, but it's becoming quite impressive now: http://www.sat24.com/scan

A bit of tease, perhaps? More interested in the outer bands than the LP direction..

The forecast part of the Satrep site has the Denmark comma heading SW, well away from here:

http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/latest.htm

(Top right pic)

And the further south the Denmark comma goes, the more south and east the northern comma can come :drinks:

Nothing like good scientific descriptions :pardon:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

ASII_20100106_2115.png

oh how pretty, wonder if it would reach all way down to me :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I have been watching the temp at Glasgow Airport tonight, thinking, hmmm, it's only -5C. That's not really cold. Then it hit me, it's minus flaming 5!! :( That is really cold....

laugh.gif

I've noticed myself beginning to toughen up to these low temperatures as well. Anything near freezing I now shrug my shoulders at, even if during the day. When walking about I only feel cold when first outside, and then after about 5-10 minutes I find myself wanting to take my hat/gloves off, even though it's still below freezing and feeling lower.

it was -7 about 6 o'clock or so so -5 now seems a bit disappointing! Was hoping for -10 tonight. Who knows we might get it!

I stay close to a railway line too. Can tell if it's really cold by the level of flashing from the overhead wires when a train goes past. None yet, probably loads in the morning though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

That Denmark one is moving west at a decent pace and growing !

Reason for Edit : cc_confused.gif Brain too cold to get directions right. Muddling up clouds moving west with the easterly creating the action !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

-8c now at Embra airport

brrrr :fool:

our temps on the fall again, only to -3c though, the blob bypassed us this time (can't say I'm not happy actually) - though unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to go much further south either, sorry SL2

off to bed, or to check some emails or something, anything but snow for a wee while anyway :fool::cold:

Posted

Still convinced the Denmark system will hit the east coast from about Aberdeen to the borders with NE England having some fun too, along with this i think the Comma to the north will come down the western half of the country and both will meet over Scotland. LS made the point that the uppers in the Comma still arent that low so marginal in lower areas, however, if they do meet over Scotland like i think they will, there could be some fun, especially about 15miles inland from the coast!

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

wallbash.gif

Thanks CMD ! Thats what looking at too many open windows of info does to you after 12 hours at work.. Brain Fade smile.gif or Freeze would be more appropriate..

Will the sea stall it and allow the low to drag in more energy from the south increasing its outer signature - or will it continue west and slam into the NE England..

Already PPN dropping on the rain radar from the Northerly...

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

brrrr cold.gif

our temps on the fall again, only to -3c though, the blob bypassed us this time (can't say I'm not happy actually) - though unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to go much further south either, sorry SL2

off to bed, or to check some emails or something, anything but snow for a wee while anyway shok.gifgood.gif

Don't know how much longer I'll last either. Canny work anymore on my report; needing matches to hold up my eyelids.

Maybe I should visit here for advice: www.radarwatchersanonymous.com

Posted

We must be the warmest in Britian on the North Coast as it is +2 with a DP of 0.

Temp not even falling when we have clear skies, most ppn falling as rain, just the odd bit of hail and sleet mixed in.

Met office were spot on with the forecast for here. I kept praying they would have it wrong.

Edited by waxwing

Posted

Here is the snow in Banchory!

Stonehaven to Portlethen was looking decidely icy this afternoon when I was driving up (A90). Two cars in the ditch at different points and police slowing cars up due to the conditions. Further south there were small amounts of snow blowing across the road.

More to come? Possibly, but it's hard to work out from all the different sources!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Still convinced the Denmark system will hit the east coast from about Aberdeen to the borders with NE England having some fun too, along with this i think the Comma to the north will come down the western half of the country and both will meet over Scotland. LS made the point that the uppers in the Comma still arent that low so marginal in lower areas, however, if they do meet over Scotland like i think they will, there could be some fun, especially about 15miles inland from the coast!

Noticed this around 3pm today and thought it was interesting. I am even more interested now that I see how much it has grown! Wondering if it will absorb that cloud to its north and carry on moving west? or, as CMD says they may end up deflecting each other? Certainly one to watch!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

while we all dream of snow yet not much falling widely...

A couple of other photos from this morning. Got another 5 cm after.

The picnic bench (for those who missed the earlier post) is a classic. That represents the biggest depth (i.e. where little melting/drifting and no clearing has occured).

Had acutally cleared around the cars/woodshed etc the afternoon before. Futile really.

post-9421-12628181516352_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12628181688552_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12628181869552_thumb.jpg

Posted

Noticed this around 3pm today and thought it was interesting. I am even more interested now that I see how much it has grown! Wondering if it will absorb that cloud to its north and carry on moving west? or, as CMD says they may end up deflecting each other? Certainly one to watch!

Was thinking this too...the clouds to the north of the Denmark System have pepped up a bit, the Comma in the north is making good progress towards us. The chances are the northern system will be over the borders by the time the Denmark system pushes NE and hits land. The clouds to the north of the Denmark Comma seem to be developing a bit of motion aswell, the North Sea is very active just now, i dont think any area around scottish waters should be ignored just now...i cant say i'm convinced that the weather is going to calm down anytime soon.

Infact, i would be prepared to say that once the northern Comma has passed over the Highlands and the Denmark Comma makes land fall, we will see a return to NE winds, pulling in colder air once again and dragging the system from northern Norwy that seems to be developing! Or atleast, it looks like there is something happening there...there just seems to be too much activity!!

Stonehaven to Portlethen was looking decidely icy this afternoon when I was driving up (A90). Two cars in the ditch at different points and police slowing cars up due to the conditions. Further south there were small amounts of snow blowing across the road.

More to come? Possibly, but it's hard to work out from all the different sources!

Yeah they were crazy, still are! Complete black ice...highly dangerous!

wallbash.gif

Thanks CMD ! Thats what looking at too many open windows of info does to you after 12 hours at work.. Brain Fade smile.gif or Freeze would be more appropriate..

Will the sea stall it and allow the low to drag in more energy from the south increasing its outer signature - or will it continue west and slam into the NE England..

Already PPN dropping on the rain radar from the Northerly...

Please tell me you do what I do and point your hands left, right, up and down to work out W, E, N and S?? Is that just me??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Did I? I honestly can't remember thatlaugh.gif

It must be cold enough at the surface for it to fall as snow, surely. Uppers at the moment are around -10, so I doubt it would be that marginal, though the start of next week does look quite marginal to be honest. Anywhere inland (assuming this comma actually hits, which would be quite something) has to expect a serious dumping of snow. Mind you, the uppers only need to rise above -8 for things to get a bit dicey at the coast, so maybe, but I still feel that if it hits PPN will be heavy enough that it all falls as snow. Sorry if this sounds like thinking aloud but that's basically what it is!

LS

Posted

Please tell me you do what I do and point your hands left, right, up and down to work out W, E, N and S?? Is that just me??

W and E is fine for me.

When giving me directions in a car however, emphatic hand guestures are a must. You just say left, I turn right. Strange thing is, I'm known for a good sense of direction.

Directslexia. Must be a variant on compasslexia.

W and E is fine for me.

When giving me directions in a car however, emphatic hand guestures are a must. You just say left, I turn right. Strange thing is, I'm known for a good sense of direction.

Directslexia. Must be a variant on compasslexia.

I only do the hand thing when on the computer. When I'm driving I have an inbuilt Sat-Nav. Thankfully, as MrsCatch can't read a map, ever.

Posted

Did I? I honestly can't remember thatlaugh.gif

It must be cold enough at the surface for it to fall as snow, surely. Uppers at the moment are around -10, so I doubt it would be that marginal, though the start of next week does look quite marginal to be honest. Anywhere inland (assuming this comma actually hits, which would be quite something) has to expect a serious dumping of snow. Mind you, the uppers only need to rise above -8 for things to get a bit dicey at the coast, so maybe, but I still feel that if it hits PPN will be heavy enough that it all falls as snow. Sorry if this sounds like thinking aloud but that's basically what it is!

LS

Maybe you didnt, i've been reading posts on here allday so i've probably just seen random words and put them together! :nonono:

Anyways...i will wake up to an answer in the morning, i'll sleep on it, probably dream about it since snow has occupied my days for what seems like a very long time now!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We must be the warmest in Britian on the North Coast as it is +2 with a DP of 0.

Temp not even falling when we have clear skies, most ppn falling as rain, just the odd bit of hail and sleet mixed in.

Met office were spot on with the forecast for here. I kept praying they would have it wrong.

Your best chance of snow must be in March when the sea's colder, surely? That's when we get it here, can get good cover of snow for a few days.