Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Yes :D

Can't we hire some kind of industrial deflector-type machinery and aim the blob bang on us? Like a giant magnetic pull. :(

How about a 5000ft high deflecter wall, I don't think magnets would work. We'll just deflect the whole air mass to make landfall along the Forth estuary on a heading due west. That should work, well, at least for you and me.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yes closedeyes.gif

Can't we hire some kind of industrial deflector-type machinery and aim the blob bang on us? Like a giant magnetic pull. biggrin.gif

My crackpot idea for this was to use off peak electricity (less demand at night, but can't shut down the power stations as take too long to fire up again) to get wind farms to work in reverse, blowing the weather in appropriate directions....

If were getting too much heavy snow in the Borders, we can use the farm at Soutra to blow it over to Edinburgh and Fife.

clap.gif

Do you think the patent office will take me seriously?

Posted

Is the longevity of the snowcover very unusual for you weathermaster?

just up the coast from weather master,

we've had lying snow since 20th dec and its rare here as well and ever more so since its low lying

Posted

It's been a very long day here!

Scottisk Skier are you still OK? I saw that the streamer was hitting you just when you said you could do with a wee break!

that "blob" earlier hit us dead on for about 3 hours, amazing how much snow was in it, 4-6 of us out clearing the road couldn't keep on top of it, but we managed to get everyone home, because they come home early with gaps between them and immediately joined us in clearing for the rest of the neighbours.

I'm absolutely kna****ed, we are now having to manually move the accumulated snow piles to make room for regular clearing.

All

After my dramatic plea for help earlier I thought I would let you know my girlfiend made it from Edinburgh to Aberdeen safely (she sounded in a state of near shock once her journey was over right enough). Attacked by snow flurries en route but nothing more than that.

Again thanks for everyone's (much required) help : this is a proper Scottish community on here !!!

Cheers

Pol

PS : Hamilton at 1615 was -2 , one drive along the MEight later and -8 at Kirkliston. Radio Scotland insisting on snow showers for the East again tonight not that I can see that from (my limited knowledge of) the current output

Thanks for letting us know, a neighbour also appeared home from Edinburgh this afternoon saying it was a bit hairy from Stonehaven Northwards

<rant>

ref. Mr Work & clearing your own pavements/roads (sorry lost quote)

for the first time this afternoon, I have to blinking well agree (caveat: if you're able) - although our road is private, hence the self clearing without questions, the start of it about 100 yards before turning into an estate, is not : normally we (those of us who need to access the private road) - try to keep this first 100 yards as clear as we can too if council services do not appear as it is useless us clearing the other 1/2 mile if the start is treacherous (it's the start of quite a steep hill).

Today the residents in said estate whose road has not been cleared were getting turned into their cul-de-sac entrance courtesy of us lot who have been clearing, then they were promptly sticking.

This would be the classic case (though obviously much less serious) that a road which had been kept clear and used sensibly could not be accessed because it became blocked by abandoned traffic - by LESS sensible (or just plain arrogant?) users

My message to them is get out and clear your own cul-de-sac, or at least the entrance to it so you have somewhere to park without blocking the other road! ... and while you're at it you could help with the bit of road that's normally done for you, it's not always the council who does it anyway!! :drinks:

<end of rant>

Now where we :p .. is this feature a feature, or is limbo land between two fronts still?

Posted

sorry SS will read your replies now, sister phoned in middle of me typing so I missed you'd been on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

It's been a very long day here!

Scottisk Skier are you still OK? I saw that the streamer was hitting you just when you said you could do with a wee break!

Evening

Surviving thanks. 55 cm snow on the picnic bench reference; spent most of the day digging the car etc out before a bit of slegding.

BBC scotland even reported live from Lauder http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8444000.stm - it's five mins of fame.

Our wee road was finally ploughed at 5 pm. Meto think I'm in for a bit more tonight. Waiting to see where that's supposed to come from...

Posted

My crackpot idea for this was to use off peak electricity (less demand at night, but can't shut down the power stations as take too long to fire up again) to get wind farms to work in reverse, blowing the weather in appropriate directions....

If were getting too much heavy snow in the Borders, we can use the farm at Soutra to blow it over to Edinburgh and Fife.

clap.gif

Do you think the patent office will take me seriously?

Yeah, blow the weather back out to where it came from, it re-energises over the sea, and we bring it back in via our method of magnetic windfarming, using wall deflectors :drinks:

-30.0.................for real?

Nah, the temp reading over there has been faulty for weeks. Needs an engineer at Benbecula airport to fix it.

Posted

I noticed the -8C report earlier, even that was exceptional for what is a coastal location (nice beaches down that way :))

But -9.1C???? That must be rare down there, I would think? :drinks:

Very rare, although sub -10C was achieved twice during December 2000 (according to weatheronline.co.uk).

http://meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/prestwick_latest_weather.html

Here's the reports, could get lower? :blink:

Afternoon all.

Finally managed to dig my computer out of the snow.

We got at least 20 cm last night from that series of showers streaming through the borders. On my picnic table we now have around half a metre+.

Snow plough came through at some point during the night, but then another 5 cm fell so I'm stuck at home with a sledge. Damn.biggrin.gif

Some pics

Wow, those depths are quite staggering!!!

:D

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted

Anyone know if that cloud coming down from the North will produce any snow for the Noorthern Highlands ?

There doesn't seem to be many echos in the radar, but as the first bands of cloud approach some showers appear to be popping up

Posted

Evening

Surviving thanks. 55 cm snow on the picnic bench reference; spent most of the day digging the car etc out before a bit of slegding.

BBC scotland even reported live from Lauder http://news.bbc.co.u...and/8444000.stm - it's five mins of fame.

Our wee road was finally ploughed at 5 pm. Meto think I'm in for a bit more tonight. Waiting to see where that's supposed to come from...

Ah that's good, about the ploughing.. think it's a case of wait and see for some of us again heh!

I think oor local fermers that might look after us in "normal" circumstances must be a little busy with their ain roads right now.. we haven't seen a tractor/plough in days - maybe they've been contracted officially elsewhere? - anyway not complaining as we always think we're lucky when they do come around :D

Posted
Anyone know if that cloud coming down from the North will produce any snow for the Noorthern Highlands ? There doesn't seem to be many echos in the radar, but as the first bands of cloud approach some showers appear to be popping up

check out the East Scotland (Huntly) traffic camera just now :)

post-4683-12628139875852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snooz

I have been watching the temp at Glasgow Airport tonight, thinking, hmmm, it's only -5C. That's not really cold. Then it hit me, it's minus flaming 5!! :rofl: That is really cold....

Posted
shok.gif nice.
I knew it was close as our temp has risen from -3 to -2, it may just skiff past me here on the northerly, I'll let you know - a few more do seem to be popping up and these teeny blobs are deceiving - we don't get "streamers" here but those blobs can be lethal :cold:

CMD that's Baltic! :D :D at least while it's snowing it's not so cold (our heating is on the fritz again, so snow is at least helping keep us warm)

Edited by Snooz

Posted

could we get some please....pretty please

sure I'll wrap the next one in bubblewrap to preserve it and send it your way, then you can have fun popping the bubbles while frolicking in snow too :cold:

Posted

ASII_20100106_2115.png

Two comma's now indicated in the satrep - one out east, one north.

One north could give a HUGE dumping without realising as it's not being reported in weather forecasts - it's a northerly airflow, and that comma feature is in the flow moving south.

The east one (our Denmark friend or foe) - still too early to call, but it's becoming quite impressive now: http://www.sat24.com/scan

A bit of tease, perhaps? More interested in the outer bands than the LP direction..