Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

There has already been some warming up down here in Kilmacolm. My parent's pond was cleared of snow yesterday and then again today, so will no doubt have curling all weekend and right through next week and even beyond. This isn't really that unusual (unlike the Grand Match) as there was curling back in 2005 (roughly) and previously in 2001. If I get round to it later I will put photos up, although I don't have any of anyone actually curling since I missed them :lol: I should get some curling action photos up by the weekend :) :) :)

Top stuff CMD. That would be great to see. The next few days are going to be worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid, I can tell you, but I am very hopeful! :D:drinks:

Is the longevity of the snowcover very unusual for you weathermaster?

It usually melts after at least 12 hours but this time its lasted 2 days so far and still going. There's been snow on the hills for nearly a month which I have never seen before. Also a loch has completely frozen over and that hasn't happend in decades.

Posted

Outer cloudband of the Denmark low stretching north, whilst the system heads south..the bands are what we need, not the actual LP :-)

http://www.sat24.com/scan

Very similar to what i have been anticipating on my post back a page!

Posted

Me and hubby were just discussing the way it looks to be going, he says it wont hit us, what do you think?

I think it's becoming quite a feature now, more than we think. I haven't read any other threads on here - is it being mentioned too elsewhere?

Posted

I think it's becoming quite a feature now, more than we think. I haven't read any other threads on here - is it being mentioned too elsewhere?

no idea but will go to a wee look in the ne england thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Bah ! Man City/Man U game frozen off. Instead the BBC fill the schedule with another "frozen Britain" special prorgamme (god help us all, this will fill the news schedules for the next week or more).

They began ominously... indicating... "temperatures as low tonight as "-7 or -8 in some places".

Eh ... at 8PM tonight ... in these other places

Drumalbin -11c

Peterhead -9 C

Cairngorm -9c

Aonach Mor -8c

Macrihanish -8c

Prestwick -8c

And 12 hours to go till the sun even thinks about making an appearance at these locations...

As longs as patchy cloud doesn't interfere (theres some over Embra just now) then theres going to be -10's and worse all over the place tonight.

Very swirly looking...:)

Edit: Upper air in that feature's birth area were very low :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Very swirly looking...laugh.gif

when i was looking at it i thought....catch......polar low...... :). BBc news just had it going south

Sure is beefy precip within it. Check out the (yellow) blob - where will it go?

Scarbourgh :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Very similar to what i have been anticipating on my post back a page!

Indeed. Not sure if we are heading for a northerly wind after this even if it does hit though - hopefully easterlies all the way! Remember though how even a fairly weak looking flow with HP not that far away can give a lot of snow as long as uppers stay low: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1987/Rrea00119870112.gif

Obviously that's if things upgrade quite a bit, especially in terms of uppers, but I still think we've got a chance. There could well be more in the way of snow from the low tracking south, though it will be marginal at best, I think. However, the flow is less 'dodgy' looking for east central, with a longer fetch from an icy continent(http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs034.gif) http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1681.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

Posted

Sure is beefy precip within it. Check out the (yellow) blob - where will it go?

Looks like its heading in your direction Mondy!!!

Posted

Scarbourgh :rofl:

No, no, no eusa_naughty.gif

You can have the naughty stairs for a change!

Looks like its heading in your direction Mondy!!!

Be great if it did, but the cloudmass just north of where you are is shifting south quickly making our Denmark friend head SW'ly - I think!

Edit: On second thoughts: http://www.sat24.com/scan

Borders?

Edited by Mondy

No, no, no eusa_naughty.gif

You can have the naughty stairs for a change!

Be great if it did, but the cloudmass just north of where you are is shifting south quickly making our Denmark friend head SW'ly - I think!

Edit: On second thoughts: http://www.sat24.com/scan

Borders?

Looks like the feature to the north and the one to the east will both deflect off each other and pass to the south of Scotland to the west and east respectively :unknw:

Posted

Do you really think? All forecasts say it will start to go south

If it stays easterly then i think it may go straight across. BUT on relooking at radar and charts.......yes it does look as if it comes across the north sea so far and then drifts south:wacko:

I am not an expert and certainly wouldn't put money on myself. :unknw:

Twill certainly be very interesting if it stays on a westerly course!! You could get a real dumping all depends on the wind direction!

Posted

If it stays easterly then i think it may go straight across. BUT on relooking at radar and charts.......yes it does look as if it comes across the north sea so far and then drifts south:wacko:

I am not an expert and certainly wouldn't put money on myself. whistling.gif

Twill certainly be very interesting if it stays on a westerly course!! You could get a real dumping all depends on the wind direction!

Im wishing and hoping.......but will probably just have dreams about it. I wouldnt put money on it either :unknw:

Amazing yet again that Prestwick looks like one of the coldest spots in the country at -8C.

Edit: -9.1C :yahoo:

I noticed the -8C report earlier, even that was exceptional for what is a coastal location (nice beaches down that way :clap:)

But -9.1C???? That must be rare down there, I would think? :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Seems some showers starting to develop of the east lothian coast north of Dunbar.

The band hitting newcastle is missing us for now, but will that continue? It looks like it might thicken eastwards as above.

Meto office seem to think I'm due for 5-15 cm tonight. Hmmm....

Posted

Looks like the feature to the north and the one to the east will both deflect off each other and pass to the south of Scotland to the west and east respectively :(

Yes :(

Can't we hire some kind of industrial deflector-type machinery and aim the blob bang on us? Like a giant magnetic pull. :D

Seems some showers starting to develop of the east lothian coast north of Dunbar.

The band hitting newcastle is missing us for now, but will that continue? It looks like it might thicken eastwards as above.

Surely not more snow?? Your picnic table will be buried!! (my whole family has seen that pic and audibly gasped at it!!)

Posted

yeah i saw on the news it said 15cm for the borders.