Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

These snow showers coming from the east coast are pretty good.

Nice long line of them waiting for us, and they keep intensifying before Northants biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've noticed that the east part of Northants is now showing some bright echos.

Posted

Showers were passing right over me earlier this morning, streamer gone to far south now though :D

Posted

These snow showers coming from the east coast are pretty good.

Nice long line of them waiting for us, and they keep intensifying before Northants :D

how is it in rusden.... in wellingborough we got a little covering......... only light snow here tho..... wen do u think we will see some heavy stuff?

thanks

Posted

We've been pinned again! Yep, Pete definitely has a soft spot for the Midlands, clearly. But if he's not careful members from other regions will be complaining of special treatment! :D

Here the snow continues to fall but not as heavy as it was around 9:30am this morning.

Posted

Me and the old man had to push my moms car off the drive this morning car weren't having none of it, had least 3 to 4 inch's here. stopped snowing now though.

Posted

how is it in rusden.... in wellingborough we got a little covering......... only light snow here tho..... wen do u think we will see some heavy stuff?

thanks

Not a brilliant covering here either still.

Looks like there is a bigger and heavier snow shower coming from the east but it may just miss us to the south.

Our best chance is probably friday onwards when heavier showers should hopefully start coming in from the wash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Cannock Chase Council have now run out of grit and the bin collections have been suspended, things are going to get ugly soon I think.

Posted

Blue skies, bright sunshine and an icy wind. Perfect winters day!

Posted

Just heard on BBC Radio Northampton, a chap phoned in to say that they had just had blizzard conditions for about 15 minutes in Towester and he says it must have dropped between an inch or two. Did`nt last long but very intense

Edited by Frank

Posted

A beautiful scene out there today! After yesterday's snowfall, which did not let up until around 2am this morning, I measured the depth in my garden and and it surpassed 3" and while walking around I was surprised to see how deep the snowfall was around pavements! Some parts of Birmingham have reportedly seen 5-6", but in North Birmingham I would have thought the depths were no more than 4". A much better snow event than February, 2 last year for here!

All in all, a very good snow event, nothing notable, but fun all the same! Hopefully we wil get more snow over the coming weeks, but for now, it's the eastern side of the country that looks set to get the most snow.

yes a very good snow event for here indeed, 10cm of snow lying on the ground, blue skies, a bitter wind, and low temperatures. a far cry on the januarys of 07 and 08 thats for sure!

Posted

Just heard on BBC Radio Northampton, a chap phoned in to say that they had just had blizzard conditions for about 15 minutes in Towester and he says it must have dropped between an inch or two. Did`nt last long but very intense

Can see how this evolved quite clearly on the radar. The heaviest of these showers on the front that passed through skirted just south of Northampton town itself towards Towcester/Brackley, etc.

Overall not quite what it could have been for Northamptonshire with counties just to our south and west particularly Oxfordshire fairing significantly better. However, I cannot complain as other counties such as Cambridgeshire have none or very little snowcover at all!

I think the Met Office got it about right with their warnings. Except the inclusion of Dorset in the "Very Heavy Snowfall" warning initially before it became apparent it was all heading further east.

Posted

Still heavy snow falling here in Banbury.

Seem to be catching the streamer from the east.

Posted

i think we might get some of those snow showers from up north if they dont fizzle out! they seem to be taking a more southerly, rather than south westerly direction now!

Posted

Fresh from the Met Office for Sunday:

West Midlands: Herefordshire Shropshire Staffordshire Stoke-on-Trent Telford + Wrekin W Midlands Warwickshire Worcestershire Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1126 Wed 6 Jan

Posted

i think we might get some of those snow showers from up north if they dont fizzle out! they seem to be taking a more southerly, rather than south westerly direction now!

new advisory out from the MO about sunday now, talking about potential for more significant snowfall across much of england.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5

blast nick!

Edited by azores92

Posted

new advisory out from the MO about sunday now, talking about potential for more significant snowfall across much of england.

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=5

blast nick!

Aha I win :whistling:

Well that would be the final nail in the coffin wrt to my driving test as well. It's only early January, but so far this is the best winter I have ever witnessed, and I am sure some of the more "experienced" members will have this as being up there with the best.

Posted

I don't think the showers from the north will get here. They didn't before xmas...(except one in Birmingham!)

Its strange watching high cloud to the south west actually move away instead of approaching as the system moves away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Cloud clearing now and giving way to beautiful blue skies.

Still very windy and a slight thaw taking place, well snow falling off trees anyway!

Edited to add: You can see quite noticably now that the system is slipping south on the radar so I think that's our lot - what a 24 hours!

Edited by Serendipity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Fresh from the Met Office for Sunday:

West Midlands: Herefordshire Shropshire Staffordshire Stoke-on-Trent Telford + Wrekin W Midlands Warwickshire Worcestershire Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1126 Wed 6 Jan

Indeed and with much of our snow that we have just had which wont really thaw any snow will just add up! Could get very tricky at some point over the weekend again. BBC Maps have snow for us all day on Sunday but obviously it will change.

Posted

Thought it would be worth adding.

Our snow cover has thawed between 15-50%, depending on surface material and exposure to sun.

However, i've just been out to our back garden, which is now 100% in the shade, and the soft crunch of the snow has turned to a hard crunch of ice.

It must be getting seriously cold oustide now (after a slight warm up which experienced similar conditions to here), and tonight/tomorrow morning will be certainly tricky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Cloud clearing now and giving way to beautiful blue skies.

Still very windy and a slight thaw taking place, well snow falling off trees anyway!

Edited to add: You can see quite noticably now that the system is slipping south on the radar so I think that's our lot - what a 24 hours!

I knew you would get pasted, you were moaning yesterday morning for no reason :aggressive:

Is this the end of the snow for the Midlands now until... Well I dunno lol.

Had a snow shower this morning from that band of showers that pushed down from the North East that gave an extra cm to the 5 we had last night. Wasn't a bad event but I feel gutted at the fact that a lot of places got over 10cm and all we got was 6 :aggressive: A mere dusting compared to most people.

Looks like tomorrows snow showers on the East coast won't make it here so i think this is our lot for this cold spell.