Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Much Of This Can You Take

jy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think most of us are, to be fair, aware that some people suffer quite badly out of prolonged cold snowy weather, usually for work-related reasons or a question of mobility.

But as I've mentioned before, the key is to, where feasible, support those who are having difficulties. For those of us who are still enjoying this spell, suppressing our enjoyment of it and desire for it continue isn't going to help anybody- some say it's respectful, I say it's more like martyrdom, especially as none of us have any control over the weather.

So I would like to stick up for those who are still enjoying the spell (admittedly I'm still in that category myself, so part of it is self-justification), they're not necessarily adopting a "couldn't care less" attitude about the inconvenience and disruption that the snow is causing- rather, there's no point in them making themselves miserable over it. It's like the way many people enjoyed July 2006 despite the inconvenience and disruption that the heat was causing in London in particular- they weren't oblivious to the problems it was causing, but if we're stuck with it and we can enjoy it, why not?

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Tbh, I can take it for as long as it lasts...I have no choice! :good::cold:

Posted

If we had a mixed spring followed by a hot summer, with some nice thunderstorm activity. I'd take as much of this as possible.

I like the weather to be seasonal, and this winter has been, just that, so far :smiliz19:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes I'm all for 'real' seasons! Cold, snowy winters and very hot dry summers followed by wet, windy autumns. Spring can be a mix of everything.

The problem with cold winters is that they are often very dry which can cause water supply issues. Not an issue after the wet weather last year but could be if a dry summer was followed by a dry winter.

Posted

I can't take anymore photos of people in the huge mounds of snow when we've got telephone box all especially when people assume you have because you live in EA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Personally, I hope this below average winter is a precursor to a below average summer! Would make 2010 a great year weatherwise for me ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

If we had a mixed spring followed by a hot summer, with some nice thunderstorm activity. I'd take as much of this as possible.

I like the weather to be seasonal, and this winter has been, just that, so far :)

Yes I'm all for 'real' seasons! Cold, snowy winters and very hot dry summers followed by wet, windy autumns. Spring can be a mix of everything.

The problem with cold winters is that they are often very dry which can cause water supply issues. Not an issue after the wet weather last year but could be if a dry summer was followed by a dry winter.

Amen to all of that!

Posted

Just in from walking my mates 2 sheepdogs in the snow what a hoot,some good replies to the topic but i reckon more thn 2 weeks of things as it is now might just test a few.However in the mean time lets enjoy these rather unusual[snowless Hampshire normally]while they last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

As a fifteen year old, I feel this winter so far has been wonderful - snow on the ground for almost four weeks with snow falling on most days, with no real thaw either!! I've seen nothing like it in my life before. I doubt it'll feel this way to those in southern parts of the UK but this winter here is probably challenging '79, '63 and '47 here, with it having surpassed most of the '80s winters with ease in terms of length and frequency of snow and cold.

Posted

Anybody who wants this spell of weather to end is an Ogre of the very worst kind. I'd lap it up all the way til mid March given half the chance.

And, just for the record, I do have a crippling mortgage, I can't afford my heating bill and I do work about 25 miles or so from my house. It will be spring soon enough, I'd then we can all complain about the rain again.

Posted

Hi,

here in the peak district we have had lying snow since around the 22nd of dec and to be honest if i didn't need to go to work then it would be great it can snow as much as it likes.

But it really is getting to be pain now, dont get me wrong i love snow i think most people on NW do.

We are having road closures because of it and most people dont have any knowledge of how to drive in/on snow.

As for getting about i don't have a problem as i bring the firms Hagglund home with me ( do a google for a bv206 :air_kiss: )

So yes snow is great i love it , if i didn't have to operate as i normally do then bring it on

regards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

OK journeys home like that make me want this to all go away... our inch 'dumping' of snow has turned to slush during today and has now frozen solid. In other places the snow has been compacted - again to ice sheets. It's considerably more dangerous this evening than it was this morning/last night after fresh snow.

Either I want fresh snow (that at least has some grip) _or_ a proper thaw. I'm already riding dead slow (hard for me who likes cycling fast!) and I'm still sliding about. I don't fancy falling off again as it really hurts!

But sine we look like getting neither snow nor thaw the fun of cycling on ice, in the dark and in rush hour will go on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well since Winter only began 16 days ago, I can quite easily take a whole season of it. I just hope the rest of the seasons this year do in fact 'act like a season' and not just a mish mash of the different elements.

Edited by rikki

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well since Winter only began 16 days ago, I can quite easily take a whole season of it. I just hope the rest of the seasons this year do in fact 'act like a season' and not just a mish mash of the different elements.

Winter starts on 1st December meteorologically.

Posted

I agree, i like it when seasons act like they should do. I would take another mild break here or there for the rest of winter...like the Boxing Day one.

Looking ahead, i would like a severe winter to end abruptly with an Easter similar to 2007. What an Easter that was! Fantastic weather! Loved every minute of it.

And my goodness how Easter 2008 was different!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I can't even begin to get fed up with it until we receive a decent covering and some very low temps that are seldom seen. My view of this cold spell is just bits and pieces of previous recent winters all placed together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I can take it until November and then the really cold, snowy weather can set in.

Posted

Hi,

here in the peak district we have had lying snow since around the 22nd of dec and to be honest if i didn't need to go to work then it would be great it can snow as much as it likes.

But it really is getting to be pain now, dont get me wrong i love snow i think most people on NW do.

We are having road closures because of it and most people dont have any knowledge of how to drive in/on snow.

As for getting about i don't have a problem as i bring the firms Hagglund home with me ( do a google for a bv206 laugh.gif )

So yes snow is great i love it , if i didn't have to operate as i normally do then bring it on

regards

Aye I wouldn't mind one of those clap.gif

Especially the way certain people drive about - that's the only thing that has annoyed me about this cold spell, the eejits

post-3741-12628068179552_thumb.jpg

Posted

It does look really beautiful outside however, the water pipe outside our flat has burst leaving us with no water and a road that is likely to turn in to an ice rink if the temperature drops as low as predicted. 6 bottles of rationed tap water really do not make up for running hot water. I'm beginning to look forward to Spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winter starts on 1st December meteorologically.

I know, I just wanted to see who would bite this year around. :D :D

Posted

I would be happy if it lasted till march, thats what winter is for. We only get 3 months a year when there is a guarantee of some snowfall so we might as well make the most of what little time we have, the same for summer, we only get 3 months guarantee of some hot weather so we should make the most of it.