Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Much Of This Can You Take

jy

Posted

A light hearted subject with a slightly serious point to make.So,mums got the hump,tescos cant home deliver.Dad,a self employed builder,is flapping,that extension he had to do,to help pay for Xmas,he cant do it.

Phone rings,grans in hospital,fallen over in the snow,how we going to get to see her,the roads are gridlocked.

Blimey,another power cut,now what are we to do.Oh no,tree is down across entrance to our luxury developement nobody can get in or out,ok phone a tree surgeon to deal with it,he cant come his Council are out of grit for the roads.

God this is awful,will relax in a hot bath,what reduced gas supply off for 3 hours,this is the pits.

As I say light hearted,but were it to happen like that, as it may,how long before you cracked :)

For the record,i am self employed,live in the middle of nowhere,and have no friends :) ,and am on the verge of being elderly lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Snows only just arrived to here parts, it will be a while before I got bored of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

As long as it all melts for my driving test next Tuesday then reappears if I pass it can carry on til summer for all I care :drinks:

This is only the first day of any decent snow for me anyway, so the snowy spell has just started here. I can live with this for the whole of winter and I would never get bored of it.

Posted

I certainly am enjoying this spell-we have had snow laying since December 17th so we are getting on to 3 weeks now-could I take it till the end of January-definately yes but beyond that-I do not know. A very mild february would suit but I would always have cold and snow rather than mild wet windy weather which has been the norm here in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

"A lot more than I expected" is the answer. Having never experienced a cold snowy spell lasting longer than a week since starting my weather records, I hypothesised that it might be as little as 10 days. However, it's been going on nearly 20 days and my enthusiasm for it has only waned slightly- i.e. we haven't even reached the point where I stop enjoying it, let alone get fed up with it.

Certain factors are helping here- the way we're getting a bright snowy spell instead of a dull snowy one, and the fact that I've been pretty fortunate regarding disruption to travel, and the fact that I've never experienced a spell like it and it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. However there was also a downside on the Tyne & Wear coast during my 2 1/2 weeks there- the tendency for the snow to melt under rain/sleet and then refreeze leading to ice, due to frequent marginal events following initial bouts of non-marginal snowy conditions.

I think it said a lot that while I was happy to see the back end of the partial ice cover after Christmas, I was mainly hoping for it to go so we could get a large topup afterwards without having to worry about a layer of slippery ice underneath the fresh snow!

There are parallels with what happened during July 2006 when I discovered that my ability to continue enjoying heat and sunshine for long periods was vastly longer-lasting than I expected. I expected to get bored with it within 10 days, yet I wasn't bored with it even when we reached the month's end- it's much the same here with the cold/snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I certainly am enjoying this spell-we have had snow laying since December 17th so we are getting on to 3 weeks now-could I take it till the end of January-definately yes but beyond that-I do not know. A very mild february would suit but I would always have cold and snow rather than mild wet windy weather which has been the norm here in recent years.

3 weeks here also now with full cover. As long as the power stays on then I have no problems with it lasting until Spring. However my mind would be changed very quickly if power supllies are affected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well, as it's my first day of heavy snow I can't really comment yet, but we have had the cold and I can't say I'm sick of that yet. Much prefer it to being too hot in the Summer!

Posted

Day 21 of the freeze here i.e. we're entering our fourth week.

Imagine that on News24... rolleyes.gif

Posted

"A lot more than I expected" is the answer. Having never experienced a cold snowy spell lasting longer than a week since starting my weather records, I hypothesised that it might be as little as 10 days. However, it's been going on nearly 20 days and my enthusiasm for it has only waned slightly- i.e. we haven't even reached the point where I stop enjoying it, let alone get fed up with it.

Certain factors are helping here- the way we're getting a bright snowy spell instead of a dull snowy one, and the fact that I've been pretty fortunate regarding disruption to travel, and the fact that I've never experienced a spell like it and it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. However there was also a downside on the Tyne & Wear coast during my 2 1/2 weeks there- the tendency for the snow to melt under rain/sleet and then refreeze leading to ice, due to frequent marginal events following initial bouts of non-marginal snowy conditions.

I think it said a lot that while I was happy to see the back end of the partial ice cover after Christmas, I was mainly hoping for it to go so we could get a large topup afterwards without having to worry about a layer of slippery ice underneath the fresh snow!

There are parallels with what happened during July 2006 when I discovered that my ability to continue enjoying heat and sunshine for long periods was vastly longer-lasting than I expected. I expected to get bored with it within 10 days, yet I wasn't bored with it even when we reached the month's end- it's much the same here with the cold/snow.

I've always been fascinated by extremes of hot and cold and snow, right up my alley this is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

While, being in uncharted territory as per my above post, I don't know exactly how much I can take, but I've seen enough to convince me that I won't be tiring of this spell until well past the middle of January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well I'm still enjoying it- fresh snow & cold is good. It's when it turns to slush or even worse solid ice that I'll soon bore. It isn't affecting my daily life too much at the moment (save for increasing my work cycle ride time) so I'm fine with it for a good while yet. So long as it warms up to a proper hot summer afterwards I'll be happy!

Posted
For the record,i am self employed,live in the middle of nowhere,and have no friends acute.gif ,and am on the verge of being elderly lol.
Are you sure you're not just me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

With a continuation of sunny spells and sleety/snowy days, I think I will be enjoying it for a fair while yet. But I agree with Thundery wintry showers about the problem of the snow hiding the ice. On one day, where it was really icy and knew it wasn't going to snow, then I would hope for it to be just warm enough to melt the ice, but still on the coldish side.

Obviously, slip ups on hard frozen ice can be very harardous, particularly if the ice goes unoticed.

Posted

Another 3 foot please.

Be careful what you wish for we are entering uncharted territory you only have to look at our recent record wet summers for that.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

self employed

fun, one day of it, two days, OK, i can handle that. a week, i'm thinking 'hmmmm', a month, i'm going into debt, two months i'm in deep debt.

at the moment, i think the two month one is ON!

the charts are scaring me a bit at the moment. i earn my living on the road, so this is the WORST weather possible for me really.

i just hope the banks, and everyone else realise the situation and show SOME sympathy, at least, to EVERYONE in the same boat as me.

see guys, there is a SERIOUS side to this? :cold:

Posted

Like Bennytes one day ok - I can live with that. Two days it's a pain. A week and it's pretty aweful. Any longer and it is a serious problem. A lot of you guys I am sure do not pay your own heating bills or have to get out. The bills are painful and not being able to go anywhere is a serious problem when it comes to getting food in etc. We live on a hill and it is a nightmare getting down it in this weather..To be honest if it turned mild I for one would not be complaining. Alas - as I do my own long range forecasts based on Solar techniques I cannot see it warming up - at least for more than one or two days - until Spring.