Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Loos like a small band has got over the pennines and is heading directley for Merseyside?

I looked at that also. May possibly do so but i think it may run out of steam before then imo.

Also, very north of scotland there is a massive cloud on its way down...don't know if this is gonna hit us though.

Edited by Never snows where i live

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sun has dissapeared here!

Gone cloudy for now. :whistling:

Posted

Personally I wouldn't rule further snow out in the NW over the next few days, although the winds are directly from the North at the moment, it only takes a slight shift to NWlys to bring PPN from the Irish sea, this hase happed pretty regularly recently. If the winds shift to more & increase in force to an NEly or Ely as currently forecast we could see shower pushed over from the North York moors or the Pennines. Again only my opinion !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just been out to measure, an average depth of 38cm!! and a drift against the fence of 50cm!!:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Started snowing VERY slightly.

Temperature is now above freezing! - 1.2c :D

Now I typed that, temperature has just fell to 1.0c :mellow:

It might of been in the sun.

Interesting - Heavy snow on the Pennines, this one may have enough energy to actually make it over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

sunny here, snow not melting in the main aprt from the odd roof in direct sun.

current temp for the last hour -1.0c expecting another ice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

had a wonderful walk in Queens Park in Heywood for an hour and it looks stunning - will post some pics in a while. Have to say the council round here have done a bloody great job as all the major roads are clear and so are many minor ones too. There has been regular cloud cover, vitually all from the pennines and quite a few flurries, but it's amounted to nothing. I honestly can;t see this cold spell lasting for a2-3 days without more snow round here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

the cloud is just burning away now as it leaves the NE coast, prob no more flurries now

Doesn't look like any further heavy snow for our region until the weekend at least. Maybe showers and flurries but nothing on the scale as Monday night/Tuesday.

i agree.

weekend looks potentially interesting though,i have never known an easterly leave manchester with nothing.

worth keeping an eye on the wind speeds etc mr D,the stronger the flow the more likely eastern parts of the regiom will see snow showers.

i go for a slow breakdown next week,posibly wed/thur maybe.

:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had a nice little flurry earlier, I think that will probably be it for a while now. Temp maxed out at -0.2°C today and is already falling away sharpish! -0.9 atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think attention is turning away from the snow for now and more onto how low will the temperatures go tonight.

I would suggest coastal areas like Crosby may finish near -10C! I'm expecting something similar myself. The all time record for Heswall is -10C so thats under threat big time this week.

Posted

-1 here and no snow melt even with the sun which is nice to see. Just had a really really light flurry, clouding over slightly now. All in all a beautiful deep winters day

Posted

I think attention is turning away from the snow for now and more onto how low will the temperatures go tonight.

I would suggest coastal areas like Crosby may finish near -10C! I'm expecting something similar myself. The all time record for Heswall is -10C so thats under threat big time this week.

It's already dropping away here -1.0°C atm, how low do you think we could go provided the winds are calm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

hmm tough one really but in your area I suggest -12C, perhaps -15C in Glossop.

Posted

That would do me! certainly the lowest temp for quite a few years if that were the case!

Posted

I'd say Shap and Eden Valley areas will be inline for similar sorts of temperatures, they've had a -12 in Shap already. I think a place that would be prone to low temperatures in these types of set ups would be Dunsop Bridge, being in a bowl surrounded on pretty much all sides by hills. Do the Met Office do requests for new stations?

Posted

I'm hoping to beat this winters record of -8.6c tonight. Going to keep my eye on Scotland though, looks like they will break the -20c barrier. Currently -8.6c at Tulloch Bridge.

Edited by John_T