Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Arghh so many conflicting forecasts dry.gif

Some say snow showers confined to coastal areas (probably correct), others more widespread with showers packing in all the way inland (i wish).

Last night there was talk about a more persistant period of snow pushing in from the north east, affecting most of the region. But thats not really been show now. And the outlook is pretty much the same.

Im just guna go with my own instincts though, I think a few snow showers today, getting lighter by midnight. eastern areas getting light to moderate accumulations with little inland, then another spell of snow in east yorkshire/linconshire tommorow, then after that light showers in eastern areas but with heavier snow flirting with linconshire from time to time smile.gif

Unless we are within the main squeeze of easterly winds, showers are unlikely to develope.

Bad

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1021.png

Good (actually this is a peach ;0)

http://www.wetterzen...ics/Recm961.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Apparently, these showers are supposed to die back to the coast this afternoon, but there should be more tonight. :drinks:

i loving it mate! they are heading straight for here now from when they get near york! was getting worried with that pesky gap!

Posted

Apparently, these showers are supposed to die back to the coast this afternoon, but there should be more tonight. :drinks:

yup spot on Brian,

When the showers come back tonight, they will be fairly hefty.

and take a more southerly track, so they affect N and E parts of the region.

Lewis

Posted

one thing that i cant understand is why the temp is 0.8c when theres such a decent snow cover?

Posted

i loving it mate! they are heading straight for here now from when they get near york! was getting worried with that pesky gap!

It looks like im going to remain in that annoying gap :D

Posted

It looks like im going to remain in that annoying gap :D

the developing ones will make their way to your area if they keep their southerly track

Posted

Showers now moving South/SW, Humber area HERE THEY COME :D

Lewis,Thanks for your invaluable input during the cold spell-does make the forum an interesting place to be.However as last night ,im afraid i have to disagree and see nothing currently on the radar/charts which suggest anything other than a few light/moderate snow showers for Beverley/Hull in the next 48 hours.Hope i am proved totally wrong!

Posted

I see the Met Office has issued an almost nationwide weather warning but has singled out Lincolnshire to get nothing. Had to laugh at that. We have a few cms of lying snow and a temp of -1c with a dew of -4 which has been falling all morning, mostly blue skies with the occasional cloud. Looks like a steady thaw is about to begin with no more snow forecast here.

Posted

Couple of light snow showers today :-( and I'm only a couple of miles from Jed

Funny how there can be such local vairations. Harrogate only about 9/10 miles north east of me has about 9" of snow to my 5/5.5". Certainly not complaining though biggrin.gif

Posted

Lewis,Thanks for your invaluable input during the cold spell-does make the forum an interesting place to be.However as last night ,im afraid i have to disagree and see nothing currently on the radar/charts which suggest anything other than a few light/moderate snow showers for Beverley/Hull in the next 48 hours.Hope i am proved totally wrong!

Hi Iron-Bru,

No need to thank me, i love talking about the weather!

As for last night i agree with you, the stinking LP to the south kept all the energy to the south and left us with showers dieing as they hit the coast. I'm keeping an eye on that shower in the N sea, keep an eye on it over the next 1 hour to 1 hour 40 mins. It looks like it will make landfall across the Beverley/Hull area.

On a more positive/upbeat note, the met office has just updated their warnings and continue to forecast up to a further 15cm minimum for Thursday into Friday.

Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Our First proper Blizzard of the year :drinks:

I knew that it was going to be heavy from the radar but this is a true white out here at the moment. Have cancelled my appointment this afternoon, silly to go with the roads the way they are unless I really really need to.

Posted

It looks like im going to remain in that annoying gap :drinks:

Morning mate. What are conditions like in Scunny at the moment? There is a covering here but it is melting.

Posted

May i also add, the met office just issued a weather watch out for us on Saturday. I expected it too come and it finally has hehe;

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

S Yorkshire

W Yorkshire

York

Heavy Snow Sat 9 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather continuing to affect much of eastern England during Saturday.

Snow showers are likely to be heavy and frequent at times giving further falls of several cm in many areas. This will lead to icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1118 Wed 6 Jan

Posted

Looking good those warnings. They have issued a warning for South Yorks and Nottinghamshire yet missed Derbyshire. I suspect me being in the far North East of Derbyshire i should be ok :drinks:

Posted

Weatherman just been on BBC giving a brief update...he's just said that there's absolutely no sign of an end to the cold weather!! biggrin.gif From the BBC that is something quite special for them to say it!!

Posted

Morning mate. What are conditions like in Scunny at the moment? There is a covering here but it is melting.

Morning mate.The main roads seem ok and it's currently sunny.

Posted

Im quite suprised that west yorkshire is being included all the way through to saturday. I just cant see many showers away from the coast?? mellow.gif

Even the gfs precipitation charts show very little in the way of precipitation.

Posted

Im quite suprised that west yorkshire is being included all the way through to saturday. I just cant see many showers away from the coast?? mellow.gif

Even the gfs precipitation charts show very little in the way of precipitation.

GFS under does precipitation in form of showers, it always has. The NMM at higher resolution is perfect.

When it comes to bands, the GFS picks them up pretty well.

And i'm not surprised at all with met office giving you a warning, check my earlier post this morning. Very cold upper 850's strong easterly flow, coming over a warm North Sea = High convective showers, especially with the flow so strong the showers don't loose their intensity as they penetrate inland.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis