Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well I might dig out the shorts and t-shirt! :rofl: We must be the warmest in Europe! Temp 2.8C! Steady thaw overnight, Just 3-4 cm's left now! I do hope John was right and the temp will drop this morning because it's all a slushy mess!

That said the wind has picked up and there is a notable wind chill.

Off to work I go, enjoy the snow those who have it!

Posted

Good morning, eveyone. It looks as if we had a substantial fall of snow overnight. I have to get over to the north east today - this is going to be fun. The regional forums are a lifeline of information so thank you to posters both here and in the other threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Just been out to mesure now the snow has finally stopped for a while, we have a staggering 17.4 cm of snow on the ground. Mesured on a hard surface, will be more on other areas due to the old stuff from before xmas.

Posted

Morning all...i should have kept my mouth shut about school letting me know early...txt message from them at 5.45am!!!!

We have had another 4cm overnight (just been to the wheelie bin with mi jamas on) :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We did done another 4cm overnight too! (after just clearing the drive yet again for school transport.......only for them to close both schools...again!!!).

SNOW DAY!!!! YEAH!!!!biggrin.gifdrinks.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

peering out the window nothing overnight at all, perhaps even a slight thaw. hopefully more fun once the really cold air arrives....

Posted

well done to all that have had more snow, once again we have missed out overnight and the met office and look north forecast does not give much hope for snow down here, heres hoping things change, have a good day all.

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

Morning all ,

At Least another 2 inch of snowfall overnight in North East Leeds ... I know as i cleared my pathway last night, unfortunately i didnt have time to measure it this morning before heading to work.

Extremely tricky driving conditions with every road on my 6 mile journey being decidedly dodgey !

Passing through Leeds Centre and out the other side at Hunslet , the fall is less with approx an inch of extra snow overnight.

I dont expect much through the course of today , but early evening and overnight looks like the shower activity should pep up once again ... and then tomorrow evening could provide significant accumalations across the region once more.

Posted

I'd still like to know what's going on with the temps.

At 0700 Camborne in Cornwall was reporting 1.9, the same as Leconfield and a whole 1c cooler than Bridlington.

Here it has risen to 1.2 overnight, currently 0.6 and the heavy showers have not accumulated anything like as much as they should have and there is some thawing occurring, despite JH's comments yesterday evening. The DP however, has dropped to -3.

Posted

Further snow overnight as now taken the total to just about 15cm. Some snow showers today should keep me topped up hopefully biggrin.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

There's a rapid thaw going on here with the temp around 2c.The forecast was for the temp to be well below freezing :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Not much overnight here, maybe a centimetre. Main concern is the temperature, as others have reported it is too warm. Currently 1.4°C with a low DP of -3.3°C, which has been dropping since the early hours. With the increase in wind speed I am surprised by the high temps presumably though the lowering DP means cold continental air being entrained in the flow? If this is the case, then presumably the temp should follow the DP down shortly.

Expert opinion on this welcome as I am very surprised at the temp at the mo.

Posted

Currently -0.2c here. The BBC forecast did show temps rising to 1c, perhaps 2c very near the coast during today. I doubt your going to see much of a thaw today.

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

being teased here at the mo, we have a few flakes then it stops for a few mins then a few more, i know we are not due any more snow so i just wish it would stop and be done with it. lol. i also now see that even tomorrow is now going to be dry after yesterday bbc said it had potential to give us a half decent covering.

Posted

I would sum up this period of weather for the HU17 as follows,undoubtedly cold and lengthy.What has been surprising is the lack of depth of any snow.A maximum depth of 3cm's from the sypnotics shown is somewhat disppointing.Overnight was mostly dry ,with temp's hovering above freezing(currently 0.6c ),hence no real ice.Slow thaw has already set in and with the warming effect of the north sea coming into effect due to the wind i do not expect this to change.

I do not see any prolonged snowfall or harsh frost's for HU17 likely within the next 48hrs,but obviously hope i am completely wrong!

Feb 2nd '09 certainly better here for depth of snow.

Think i may pay a visit to West/North York's for some proper snow.

Edited by IRON-BRU

Posted

We have had a bit of a blizzard here in Grantham with heavy snow and some quite strong winds. It is still snowing heavily and I would say that 2 inches has fallen in the last hour, most of that in the last 30 mins. It is absolutely brilliant :wub:

Posted

I'd still like to know what's going on with the temps.

At 0700 Camborne in Cornwall was reporting 1.9, the same as Leconfield and a whole 1c cooler than Bridlington.

Here it has risen to 1.2 overnight, currently 0.6 and the heavy showers have not accumulated anything like as much as they should have and there is some thawing occurring, despite JH's comments yesterday evening. The DP however, has dropped to -3.

the actual coastal strip, say 1-3 miles, unless is always likely to have this effect I'm afraid.

Posted

Is it me losing the plot, but i'm sure I saw lightning flashes last night around 8pm - 8.30pm when it was snowing quite heavy. unknw.gif

Anyway. There seems to have been a very slight thaw but nevertheless still a good depth to the snow (around 12cm).

Birds are having a riot out on the bird table and bird feeders fighting over the food that's just been put out for them biggrin.gif

Posted

Not much overnight here, maybe a centimetre. Main concern is the temperature, as others have reported it is too warm. Currently 1.4°C with a low DP of -3.3°C, which has been dropping since the early hours. With the increase in wind speed I am surprised by the high temps presumably though the lowering DP means cold continental air being entrained in the flow? If this is the case, then presumably the temp should follow the DP down shortly.

Expert opinion on this welcome as I am very surprised at the temp at the mo.

sadly you cannot have, usually much of a breeze, and get low overnight temps-the dewpoint is very much less affected by wind speed compared to the temperature.

very low overnight mins may not occur in spite of the snow cover for most due to a breeze off the North Sea.

Posted

2.5c temp, and 1.6 dew, i'm not too bothered about the temp, but whats going on with the dews!! I would understand off a light breeze, but a stronger wind/flow = less modification? obviously can't be true lol.

Lewis

Posted

the actual coastal strip, say 1-3 miles, unless is always likely to have this effect I'm afraid.

John.

I am 10 miles inland from the coast at an altitude of 70m. The Sunday and Monday before the "cold" air arrived were both ice days. As for your comment in another reply that you won't get freezing temps and a strong wind, come and have a visit one day when we have a more traditional northerly!

I'm not trying to have a go, I'm just trying to understand why the temps have risen overnight and not fallen as the synoptics would have suggested. Even Fylingdales has been reporting above 0 temps! (Has dropped now).

Last year this area, particularly on the coast, suffered as a result of SST's, but they have dropped significantly recently and it was easier to understand the reasons.

I have numerous report of what conditions were like even on the coast in previous winters, yet it is not happening, so the question is why?

I'm not complaining here, we're into the 20's now for continuous snow cover, just trying to understand. :rolleyes: