Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

Them our some mental icicles Davy. Should be another interesting evening ahead.

Posted

great pictures there lads, their some icicles them mind davyf lol

The ones in the first pic are from the house over the road and some of them are actually longer than the window haha. Glad you like them as I was bricking it taking photos of peoples bedroom windows :p

Edited by davyf

Posted

The ones in the first pic are from the house over the road and some of them are actually longer than the window haha. Glad you like them as I was bricking it taking photos of peoples bedroom windows :whistling:

lmao

post-9421-12627799648152_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12627799749152_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

November 1992/93 were both cold months.

Mark

October 1992 was unusually cold, but November had slightly above average temperature and just a brief cold snap in the second week.

November 1993 was certainly cold though- snow stuck around for 7 days at Cleadon and for 8 at Durham University Observatory, which is very unusual for November. However it only snowed on the 21st and 22nd and the rest of the spell was cold and dry.

As Paul suggested, it's almost certain that the original post was referring to the easterly outbreak in February 1991 when it remained cold and snowy in north-east England for over a week and snow widely stuck around for 10-15 days, reaching depths well in excess of 20cm for many. It represents my earliest memory of snow, but I have only vague recollections.

Posted

What are the thoughts on the snow chances this afternoon and overnight ?

Will we get a rinse and repeat of yesterday?

Looking at the radar, it would appear that the showers are generating out in the North Sea, moving towards us, then dissipating before making landfall, all a bit disappointing really, or am I just being greedy??

My own thoughts are that they may pep-up a bit after dark today, rather than in the afternoon like yeaterday.

As an aside, my missus dragged my 6 yr old the mile to school today on a sledge. Now thats the sort of thing that sticks in the memory when you're older isn't it!

Karl

Posted

When do we think the next chance for some snow will be? Tomorrow morning perhaps?

Should be some showers coming in later today according to the radar.

btw. the met office are throwing around warnings like confetti for us.Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

Posted

Some pics from around my street today. They're the biggest icicles I've ever seen in the first pic.

(How do I thumbnail the pics?)

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

thems not icicles,these are icicles

Some pics from around my street today. They're the biggest icicles I've ever seen in the first pic.

(How do I thumbnail the pics?)

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

some more

post-5332-12627813047552_thumb.jpg

post-5332-12627815946652_thumb.jpg

post-5332-12627816759352_thumb.jpg

post-5332-12627817632852_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

After a long barren patch of showers its seems they may be gathering again out at sea.

The Meto Fax charts has a trough right on top of us for today. Is that for what happened in the early hours, or is it still on its way?

Posted

After a long barren patch of showers its seems they may be gathering again out at sea.

The Meto Fax charts has a trough right on top of us for today. Is that for what happened in the early hours, or is it still on its way?

Yeah, its been yet another quiet day on the shower front with a heavy snow shower this morning and thats really it.

Last night has produced some significant snow here, according to the ruler, i got 12CM here but this could be a little mis-leading it might of drifted up or something.

Interesting to note that around South Shields, there is less snow than there was here, i assume thawing took place there more than around here due to the wind coming in off the sea but a covering on all surfaces is still there however.

Whilst i'm really pleased with my thick snow cover, i can't help but feel a little disappointed because there was a massive clump of snow that hit Northumberland and if that hit us, we would have even more snow. Also the lack of showery activity around here has been disappointing, the showers during daylight especially have not been all that frequent.

I'm also surprised at the Met Office adversary for further snow showers, whilst i know you can still get convective weather at quite high pressure, i can't help but feel our location is too close to the centre of the high for any frequent heavy snow showers or much convective activity either.

And oh yes, Thursday's potential has been downgraded for us, no surprises there.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Working in S. Shields. Looking outside, there appears to be some towering of the clouds to the North West. Maybe some convection there, but will it be enough? (scratches head and ponders).

Posted

BBC forecasting some showers for around 8pm tonight

I'll take those forecasts with a big pinch of salt, BBC forecast snow showers here today and theres only been 1 or 2.

There does appear to be a shower cloud to my SE but apart from some clouds well into the distance, it is a sunny afternoon.

I would not rule out some showers however but for whatever reason, they have just weaken as they reach us with only a few heavier ones getting through, last night was from a stream of showers or a trough even.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Showers look to be building nicely in the North Sea, I think some of us could get a cluster of showers moving through in the next 2-3 hours.

After that probably nothing more than isolated lighter showers for the next day or two. Hope i'm wrong though!

EDIT: I like this new warning...

Snow showers this evening and overnight are expected to give fresh accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in places and potentially up to 15 cm over hills.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1432 Wed 6 Jan

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I see the Meto warning for further heavy snow is for areas north of Durham, so anybody down Tees-side might get nothing maybe an outside chance of a light shower or two. Those heavy showers last night were perilously close to my location, got a few heavy ones but nothing compared to what hit Northumberland.

Posted

I'll take those forecasts with a big pinch of salt, BBC forecast snow showers here today and theres only been 1 or 2.

There does appear to be a shower cloud to my SE but apart from some clouds well into the distance, it is a sunny afternoon.

I would not rule out some showers however but for whatever reason, they have just weaken as they reach us with only a few heavier ones getting through, last night was from a stream of showers or a trough even.

Sorry GS i beg to differ, NW5 min radar says otherwise... Showers are definately intensifying just off the coast we now have a heavy graupel/hail shower and there's a monster about 5-10 mile coming straight for Tyneside..

Posted

This made me chuckle from the SE regional thread -

Temps dropped form 0.5 to 0.3 in the lat hour- right on the cusp of settling everywhere-
...almost settling eh? Fantastic!

You thought the model discussion thread was south-east biased? The EA & SE thread is currently N Kent biased. Very funny stuff.