Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The showers are gathering out to Sea and they should start to push inland later today once the winds become more Easterly. Hopefully we'll get a trough that delivers some decent accummulations later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The showers are gathering out to Sea and they should start to push inland later today once the winds become more Easterly. Hopefully we'll get a trough that delivers some decent accummulations later.

I have been watching them also, but they seem to be receding north, meaning when the wind turns east they will make landfall in north Northumberland (as if they don't have enough already). I hope i am wrong though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just noticed this new warning for the whole North East...

Snow showers will be heavy at times giving accumulations of 2 to 5 cm and possibly up to 10 cm in places.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1214 Thu 7 Jan

Valid from 14:25 this afternoon to 06:00 in the morning.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snow showers will start to become prominant later this afternoon evening as the cut-off low sinks southwards bringing the showers up in the North down the east coast, the low is having an influence on those showers coming down giving them the appearance of a Northward movement but they're not, theyre still coming on a nor'easterly flow.. I think shear from the low is having an effect on the showers causing convection to be undirectional thus shower development somewhat squashed. well thats my take on it ..

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Snow showers will start to become prominant later this afternoon evening as the cut-off low sinks southwards bringing the showers up in the North down the east coast, the low is having an influence on those showers coming down giving them the appearance of a Northward movement but they're not, theyre still coming on a nor'easterly flow.. I think shear from the low is having an effect on the showers causing convection to be undirectional thus shower development somewhat squashed. well thats my take on it ..

Last night all the showers looked like heading west of my place but suddenly turned east and staight at my place, eventually giving us heavy snow for about 5-6 hours. Im sure round here is a magnet to showers. When I was a kid they always hit the coast and we stayed dry but last few years they always seem to come to this area on the edge of the north pennines.

Im sure todays will act the same way once the wind picks up. What does anyone else think?

The pic below was took near Slaley at 11am today on my way to Hexham.

post-10965-12628729864752_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think your snow chances extend out to Saturday with sunny spells and a declining number of snow showers.

Sunday may well produce further snow inland, but I have a suspicion that it will quickly turn sleety near the coast. Next week will see a slow thaw set in near the coast, accompanied by TV forecasters saying "at least it's milder", implying that slush and ice is preferable to soft fluffy snow (I don't think it will get warm enough for the thaw to be particularly rapid- some of it will almost certainly still be lying come Friday). Inland, however, I do not expect much of a thaw- indeed over higher ground in particular I expect further, albeit light, snowfalls.

Posted

Last night all the showers looked like heading west of my place but suddenly turned east and staight at my place, eventually giving us heavy snow for about 5-6 hours. Im sure round here is a magnet to showers. When I was a kid they always hit the coast and we stayed dry but last few years they always seem to come to this area on the edge of the north pennines.

Im sure todays will act the same way once the wind picks up. What does anyone else think?

The pic below was took near Slaley at 11am today on my way to Hexham.

Did Northumberland council move the snow or was it locals, snowploughs on tractors etc, either way top job and not getting trapped themselves

My mate lives fairly close to Rock few miles north of Alnwick and he's sent some photos on his phone to me, if i can find my usb and software i'll upload them. He was snowed in but said that quite a few roads have now been cleared (for now)...