Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I am happy for you all that this has been such a snowy day but am still envious that it didn't happen in Lincolnshire. We have a light covering from overnight snow and, despite a few snow showers and drizzly rain, it hasn't added to the cover. Currently 0C and dewpoint also 0C and a light drizzle falling and possibly a slight thaw.

My mother in Gloucestershire tells me they have had around 6cm and people are being sent home from work so I'm guessing this has been a west-side event. Hopefully there'll be some snow for the eastern side of the UK at some point this week.

In lincoln it's been light snow for several hours now, but with temps and dewpoints what they are, we're really struggling to see any significant lying snow. In one sense we've been incredibly unlucky as the front seems to have faltered just to our north, leaving us in slightly warmer air - hence the odd sight of watching the snow already settled undergoing a thaw as fresh snow falls. Hopefully as it starts to get dark, temps will become more favourable. If the Front is still stalled, then that might help pep things up. If it starts to move south, then it will be coming over us just as temps and dews get a bit more favourable.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Hiya Mark. We have very light snow at the moment. Temps of 0.1C but has been hovering just above and below the zero for about the last hour after the earlier rise. Dew points just managing to remain below 0c.

Same here with the temp at 0.2c. I recon if it can move a little more south i may get an extra half cm to make me a safe 10cm covering smile.gif Then its snow shower watch

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Just got back in from a drive around, and conditions aren't as bad as Local radio is suggesting, imo.

Heard someone say on the radio that they'd had 4 inches of snow in Norton (near Malton) I decided to have a look for myself and found what appeared to be around two cms :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Hi all, Still snowing after nearly 8 hours and we now have a depth here (HD8) of 6.5in. Its been a constant moderate snowfall with a couple of heavier bursts every hour or so. I have noticed the wind seems to have increased and we're going through one of the heavier periods of snow at the moment. I have just spoken to a friend who is in Holmfirth and she has a snow depth of 10in lying - I forgot to ask if that was just lying or where it had drifted as it is a bit exposed up there.

I'm hoping for more of this for the foreseeable future - great to observe weather like this! :lol:

Posted

Hi All,

Will the front eventially move south over me?

Posted

strangely enough the sun just came out for 10mins before the snizzle returned. some nice dark clouds looking north out the window now. i don't think we're supposed to get any heavier stuff untill this evening.

i do feel we have missed out so far. lol

Posted

In lincoln it's been light snow for several hours now, but with temps and dewpoints what they are, we're really struggling to see any significant lying snow. In one sense we've been incredibly unlucky as the front seems to have faltered just to our north, leaving us in slightly warmer air - hence the odd sight of watching the snow already settled undergoing a thaw as fresh snow falls. Hopefully as it starts to get dark, temps will become more favourable. If the Front is still stalled, then that might help pep things up. If it starts to move south, then it will be coming over us just as temps and dews get a bit more favourable.

Snow had been really light for the last couple of hours but over the last half hour it's pepped up a fair bit, around 6-7cm's of lying snow.

The shower activity looks good in the N.Sea and some of them are becoming embedded into the main front, Donny looks to have done really well out of this set up :lol: .

Posted

Lovely pictures coming from you guys, keep em coming..

Brief lul here in Hull.

could get more interesting later this evening and overnight,

Lewis

Hi lewis, what time are we expecting more snow ? I am also in Hull and it seems to be thawing slighty. My son has been sent home from college, he used the excuse that the buses are going to stop because more snow is forecast.

Posted

i do feel we have missed out so far. lol

indeed especially when only sunday we were getting set to have some of the heavier falls than most today. that sudden turnaround of events yesterday seems to have done us over. still, it could pull a little further east again yet but im looking forward to tomorrow onwards.

Posted

Thanks for that. I am actually in Bracebridge Heath which is just south of Lincoln and the front stalling just to the north explains the weather I have been seeing. I would say that the drizzle has now turned heavier and does actually look like very very fine snow so perhaps we are about to see something more significant as nightfall approaches.

Posted

Snow had been really light for the last couple of hours but over the last half hour it's pepped up a fair bit, around 6-7cm's of lying snow.

Have you noticed the PPN on the radar has intensified big time over us in the last 30 mins or so :pardon:

Posted

Im getting a bit of a pasting at the moment :angry:

Yeah me too from the kids snowballs, is it pc to put rocks in the middle :pardon: Only joking, still snowing.

Posted

Hi lewis, what time are we expecting more snow ? I am also in Hull and it seems to be thawing slighty. My son has been sent home from college, he used the excuse that the buses are going to stop because more snow is forecast.

Hello,

The latest BBC look North forecast shows heavy snow showers continuing over night, all tomorrow and getting heavier again tomorrow evening right through until Friday, with the possibility of some very heavy snowfall later Saturday and overnight.

They will be some more snow, in the next 50 mins for Hull also.

The snow is melting here to on the roof and off the cars, i just measured up and i have lost about 1mm of accumulation :pardon:

Where abouts are you located in Hull

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

The wind appears to have eased again here, but the fine powdery snow just keeps on falling. Looking on the radar, what are the chances of the heavy showers towards Newcastle/Middlesbrough making it inbto West Yorkshire this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

It is, rather unexpectedly, intensifying again here. That now makes seven hours of moderate to heavy snowfall with a few lighter interludes. Highest temp today that I've recorded is -1.2C, and it's been dropping away from that and is now -1.9C. Wind is also picking up, so drifting is extensive. This has turned into a quite memorable snowstorm up here. I'm wondering now when I'll next be able to get up the lane from the house - when it gets like this we are at the mercy of the local farmer to clear the drifts away with his JCB.

Posted

The snow is melting here to on the roof and off the cars, i just measured up and i have lost about 1mm of accumulation :cold:

Lewis

Yeah that's what's happening to me mate. The snow showers aren't intense enough to add anything to my

existing snow-cover. I'm down to about the same as I started with this morning.

Still have a good few inches left from the previous spell, so I'm not complaining.

Also, it's good to see the reports and pics from others around our region. I don't feel so guilty now :nonono:

Posted

Yeah that's what's happening to me mate. The snow showers aren't intense enough to add anything to my

existing snow-cover. I'm down to about the same as I started with this morning.

Still have a good few inches left from the previous spell, so I'm not complaining.

Also, it's good to see the reports and pics from others around our region. I don't feel so guilty now :)

lol, plenty more on it's way for you tonight.

temps are dropping off very nicely now along with the dew points.

Just starting to snow here now.

It looks like the N sea is going to brew some homegrown tonight :)

Posted

Snow starting to gain a little more intensity, however is still fairly light. Its sticking on a small patch i completely cleared of snow. Looks like its going to be here for hours at this rate! The main stuff remains just to my North though. Im glad to hear showers are pushing into northern areas. Hopefully they will improve overnight once this front has cleared smile.gif

SFL: Keep an eye on that intense shower way out in the North sea, on the edge of radar inline with Newcastle, looks to be on course for Hull...

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It is, rather unexpectedly, intensifying again here. That now makes seven hours of moderate to heavy snowfall with a few lighter interludes. Highest temp today that I've recorded is -1.2C, and it's been dropping away from that and is now -1.9C. Wind is also picking up, so drifting is extensive. This has turned into a quite memorable snowstorm up here. I'm wondering now when I'll next be able to get up the lane from the house - when it gets like this we are at the mercy of the local farmer to clear the drifts away with his JCB.

Lucky you for having a farmer with a JCB!

Calderdale tell me they are on emergency reserves and have not had their order for more grit filled since before Chrimbo. They are currently waiting for the Govt. to take over the suppliers so they can re-distribute to the areas worst affected

If we have a few bad days of showers and then a weekend of snowfall we will be out of salt in our region and at the mercy of the weather.......glad I've got my 'emergency food supplies' laid by as once the lorries grind to a halt, well....... was it 3 days without bread before a revolution begins?whistling.gif

Posted

Snow starting to gain a little more intensity, however is still fairly light. Its sticking on a small patch i completely cleared of snow. Looks like its going to be here for hours at this rate! The main stuff remains just to my North though. Im glad to hear showers are pushing into northern areas. Hopefully they will improve overnight once this front has cleared :mellow:

Sounds brilliant for you mate, and i think you'll see it for much longer tonight.

I'm waiting for the front to clear, and the LP to shift. We are getting NE incursions but the flow is rather messy with NW and WNW winds coming into it. As soon as the front and LP starts to shift away, the flow will swing round to a NE/ENE, thats when the fun and games start again.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a streamer setup in E Yorkshire a little later, as the band now is stalled to the South, and then energy it thrown back into it from the N sea, looking very good.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

lol, plenty more on it's way for you tonight.

temps are dropping off very nicely now along with the dew points.

Just starting to snow here now.

It looks like the N sea is going to brew some homegrown tonight :mellow:

Yep, looking quite promising out to the North East already. Could be a very treacherous evening/morning

when it freezes too.

Posted

Stopped snowing now in Leeds. That makes it almost 9 hours of continuous snowfall. I can't see depths from my office window, but the car park had about 2 inches at 10.30 so I'm guessing it will have doubled by now.

Posted

Sounds brilliant for you mate, and i think you'll see it for much longer tonight.

I'm waiting for the front to clear, and the LP to shift. We are getting NE incursions but the flow is rather messy with NW and WNW winds coming into it. As soon as the front and LP starts to shift away, the flow will swing round to a NE/ENE, thats when the fun and games start again.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a streamer setup in E Yorkshire a little later, as the band now is stalled to the South, and then energy it thrown back into it from the N sea, looking very good.

Yes, overall this is looking an excellent spell for all out region with just about everyone at risk of seeing snow showers :mellow: