Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Surprisingly, is starting to turn moderate to heavy again here in S12..

7 inches on the grass......and 6 inches and counting on the top of the motor air_kiss.gif

p1010524.th.jpg

Glad you did the measurements for our area rather than me ! lol ... where in S12 are you?

Posted

to be honest spalding should have roughly the same amount as us from 3oclock onwards if not more. if forecasts are correct we can expect 5 cm tonight around here before tomorrows comes in. i know a little bit further north they have quite a bit more already from saturdays and late last nights falls.

thanks for that, should keep my little one happy. lol, is there much forecast for tomorrow? i heard showers but did not hear if they are to be heavy or not.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Interesting stuff seems to be happening in the North Sea. That first band thats about to hit Harrogate looks like the start of a streamer, guess some places in land are going to have a fun night as well, and not just the east coast.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Interesting stuff seems to be happening in the North Sea. That first band thats about to hit Harrogate looks like the start of a streamer, guess some places in land are going to have a fun night as well, and not just the east coast.

Snow streamers have been hitting here for a few hours now and more to come. :drinks:

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Wow what a day its turned out to be!. Its been snowing here in Normanton all day. Got some nice piccies. I hope everyones having fun.

Posted

This is extraordinary. I've measured 10cm outside though this does include compacted snow which was previously lying (approx 2cm). It has been snowing for hours and still is. And now we have what looks like a streamer heading our way. At least one college in Leeds has closed due to the inclement weather. Main roads out here in the suburbs are passable: the side roads are horrendous. And it's still falling. Roundhay area of Leeds.

Posted

Really heavy here in Leeds now with big flakes. Could we reach the magic 1 foot of snow in West Yorkshire today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Snow streamers have been hitting here for a few hours now and more to come. :winky:

But it looks like these ones are going at an angle and have sufficent intesity to get far inland. Yorks kind of an easy target given the snow could come from the North all the way round to the ESE, while the current wind direction means these could get down to the North parts of West Yorkshire - with a bit of luck :unsure:

Posted

thanks for that, should keep my little one happy. lol, is there much forecast for tomorrow? i heard showers but did not hear if they are to be heavy or not.

They're still unsure so they haven't mentioned exact amounts. Everything i have seen states there will be further cm's of snow, and to be honest with us being so close to the East coast I find it very unlikely we can miss out on the heavier stuff for the whole week and would expect minimum 2-3" of lying snow for the rest of the week. Also anything that settles is not going anywhere fast! Hopefully we'll get some good surprises :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Wow what a day its turned out to be!. Its been snowing here in Normanton all day. Got some nice piccies. I hope everyones having fun.

Sure nice blue sky with some cloud down here in reading where I work whistling.gif

Posted

At 2pm in Stanley (Wakefield) the snow measured 5.5 inches.

The current temperature (2.25pm) is 0.5C

All the best!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Well it certainly appears to be a pretty extraordinary event, although it's a bit puzzling for those in the region on the very edge of the event. Here in Lincoln we've had the oddest sensation of seeing it thaw even as the snow is falling (as it continues to do, but only very lightly) but clearly further north it's been spectacular, and reading John H's blog, probably has a while to go yet before it's done.

Even though the snow amounts here have been small, the radar watching has been fascinating - not least of which has been figuring out the influence in terms of patterns and directional flow as a result of the low pressure areas appearing earlier today - this must be an absolute nightmare in forecasting terms.

Posted

Hi John

Where abouts in Normanton are you, we live on the new estate near the bypass and the wife says it has been non stop

Kids are lucky, no school and are sledging probably in Normy Park....

Ian

Posted

Showers kicking in here now and temp dropped back to 0.3 from max of 0.8.

Posted

The wind seems to have picked up in the last half hour or so with snow blowing around Holbeck (Leeds). It's fine powdery snow but the amounts are mounting up with some small drifts now been produced.

Posted

After nearly 8 hours of snow in DN11 we have 10 cm (4").

post-9064-12627017012752_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627016280652_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627017935152_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627015802552_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627020728752_thumb.jpg

Posted

They're still unsure so they haven't mentioned exact amounts. Everything i have seen states there will be further cm's of snow, and to be honest with us being so close to the East coast I find it very unlikely we can miss out on the heavier stuff for the whole week and would expect minimum 2-3" of lying snow for the rest of the week. Also anything that settles is not going anywhere fast! Hopefully we'll get some good surprises :whistling:

lets hope for plenty of surprises, still dry here although cloud seems to be filling in.

Posted

I am happy for you all that this has been such a snowy day but am still envious that it didn't happen in Lincolnshire. We have a light covering from overnight snow and, despite a few snow showers and drizzly rain, it hasn't added to the cover. Currently 0C and dewpoint also 0C and a light drizzle falling and possibly a slight thaw.

My mother in Gloucestershire tells me they have had around 6cm and people are being sent home from work so I'm guessing this has been a west-side event. Hopefully there'll be some snow for the eastern side of the UK at some point this week.

Posted

Turned very light now with the temp at 0.4c. The snow is just to the north of me, say about 3 miles. Looks like it may pep up again in a bit. I'm expecting no more that cm for the rest of the day though :whistling: The next main snow deliverer is going to be snow showers

Hiya Mark. We have very light snow at the moment. Temps of 0.1C but has been hovering just above and below the zero for about the last hour after the earlier rise. Dew points just managing to remain below 0c.

Posted

After nearly 8 hours of snow in DN11 we have 10 cm (4"). Outside temperature 0.6 C Dewpoint -1.2 C

post-9064-12627017012752_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627016280652_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627017935152_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627015802552_thumb.jpgpost-9064-12627020728752_thumb.jpg

Edited by jackst01

Posted

The wind seems to have picked up in the last half hour or so with snow blowing around Holbeck (Leeds). It's fine powdery snow but the amounts are mounting up with some small drifts now been produced.

The wind seems to have dropped again here - though it was fairly breezy here earlier.

Posted

lets hope for plenty of surprises, still dry here although cloud seems to be filling in.

strangely enough the sun just came out for 10mins before the snizzle returned. some nice dark clouds looking north out the window now. i don't think we're supposed to get any heavier stuff untill this evening.