Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Good morning excited Midlanders :D Looking at the GFS pptn charts, I can't believe how it just sits there for so long! Looks to be a bit far West for Leicester to get a massive dumping but the Birmingham area and SE of that seem to be in for an interesting day and half... or it could just not happen of course :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tommorow looks like the best chance of significant snowfall in this part of the country since back in february time.

Posted

It'll just miss us to the north south east or west or turn to rain or just not turn up!!!! :D

Got really upset last week so I'm not gonna let myself get carried away again!

Posted

It'll just miss us to the north south east or west or turn to rain or just not turn up!!!! :lol:

Got really upset last week so I'm not gonna let myself get carried away again!

Calm down, you'll see some white stuff, and it'll settle and stay, give it about 1 1/2 hours maybe less :lol:

Posted

Calm down, you'll see some white stuff, and it'll settle and stay, give it about 1 1/2 hours maybe less smile.gif

im not calm! how confident are we that the gfs has got this right? im getting nervous unsure.gif

Posted

Gah! I'm still not in the mood for this! If Dorset, my home county, gets more snow than Nottingham, I'm going to go slightly madder than I already am! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

im not calm! how confident are we that the gfs has got this right? im getting nervous unsure.gif

The GFS is usually very accurate within a 24 hour time frame forecasting precip positions. If it's correct again then you are in for a gooood covering today, maybe 4 inches+

Posted

The GFS is usually very accurate within a 24 hour time frame forecasting precip positions. If it's correct again then you are in for a gooood covering today, maybe 4 inches+

thanks andy! i've only just started studying the models and i couldn't remember if gfs was better at short or long range in recording precip! rolleyes.gif

Posted

BBC forecasts show most of the main action tomorrow evening in central southern, south wales and the west country, they look to be the areas most at risk of a proper dumping. Although i am hopeful of a good covering here also. Things can still change though, and wouldn't surprise me if things moved further east again. Might stay up for the 12z. Exciting times ahead.

As for the precip over the NW atm, it seems to be breaking up before it really gets down into the midlands, doubt it will make it much further south than stoke tbh.

Edited by tom_f123

Posted

Heaviest snowfall of the night now falling here. :D

I really can't believe I have profited from an Irish Sea streamer so much. For the last 3-4 hours we have had near constant light/moderate snowfall, which has resulted in an additional 2cm's of fresh lying snow. All of this before the fun and games later this morning and throughout the day too... what an event!

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

are all the midlander's in bed laugh.gif while the country falls into chaos around them..lol

I dont know what i'm expecting could be dry or could get buriedwacko.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

1cm dusting here so far, been snowing lightly for around an hour. I hope that heavy stuff over Cheshire finally makes it over to Leicester! It seems to have been stuck up there for hours :)

Still... Must not complain, looks really nice out there with the snow on the ground :)

Posted

We have a 3cm even cover now, simply from the showers which have fed off the Irish Sea all night. Wouldn't be surprised to see in excess of 10cm's by this time tommorow... all latest forecasts seem very promising and to be frank the constant showers throughout the night is simply a massive bonus.

Posted

1cm dusting here so far, been snowing lightly for around an hour. I hope that heavy stuff over Cheshire finally makes it over to Leicester! It seems to have been stuck up there for hours :cold:

Still... Must not complain, looks really nice out there with the snow on the ground :cold:

Weather expert that was in bbc radio leicester studio just said that heavier stuff will effect us from around 9am. This will then stay with us throughout the afternoon , looks like were gonna miss out on the heavier band tonight but showers should stay with us.

Oh my god Leicester is stupid , already had 2 school closures come in . :shok: