Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

No that has my name on it, i was hoping it would hit here sad.gif

och well, let's see what the pub run brings......drunk.gif ?

Posted

Just had about 3" in one fall, right here at sea level...a work friend just called from banchory saying they have recieved an additional 4" of snow and its still heavy (about 20mins ago)...told her that if we get anymore tonight i aint going into work tomorrow!!!

CMD/Glasgow people - That big snow shower coming down from the highlands is surviving and heading straight for us...

The last lot survived until it was more or less ten miles north of the Clyde and then fzzzt, so a long, long, way to go yet. Still, lots of nice little orange clouds floating about outside.... ;)

Posted

No that has my name on it, i was hoping it would hit here ;)

It's heading pretty much straight south now, maybe slightly SSE. I'm not confident it would even fall as snow here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

what time does it come out?

now, but the ppn forecasts have been way off the mark in the last week or too.

Posted

Very true, but you have to remember what makes Loch Ness' volume so impressive is that we are on an island - Scotland is geographically foreign to Europe in that the majority of the country originates from the North American continent and at one point hosted mountains taller than the Alps and perhaps towards the height of the Himalayas. This along with the glaciation which also created Norway's Fjords is what makes Scotland look so oddly beautiful in that the Torridon range hosts some of the oldest rock on this planet

This is like a wee geography lesson ;)

Trivia: Inverness' Kessock Bridge is the only earthquake proof bridge in the UK due to the seismically active ridge which runs from Fort William to Inverness (hence the Great Glen being there). We haven't had one since 1901 but I'm sure it's only a matter of time ;)

Thank You! Nice geo. lesson :)

Continued NetWeather lurking impossible given winter Nirvana is finally here : that as well as this ,the most welcoming thread I have seen since I joined NW a few years ago

South Queensferry now reporting for duty !!!

Pol

Welcome !

Thanks Snowlover2

Hope I can add to the party here.

Model thread about to go into meltdown about the upcoming 10-15 day cold spell (for the South) : that will be 30 plus for us then rolleyes.gif From what I can see of the latest ECM its not exactly about to warm up

Wonder if the local council would mind if I put our communal grit bin contents on EBay rofl.gif

LMAO :) even DH had a laugh and he doesn't get my "weather nuts" stuff mostly hahaha..

Judging by what has fallen at Aviemore, Drumochter this band is giving no accumulations anyway. Waste of time.

hmm well can't say that is true for here, was working until 8, then server crashed before I could read to end of (hilarious tonight!) posts, but we seriously had about 2" (4cm) fell between 7:30 and 8:30

summary from reading too fast..

• Not good news on the train, thanks for the updates Scottish Skier!
  • It's a POLO!!
  • 43 75 89 schools now closed/part closed in Aberdeenshire area for tomorrow already (lol 3 times tried to post this!)
  • was it the Model Output thread that caused the meltdown this time?

Posted

Yaay, we appear to have generated our own convection out of nowhere like Edinburgh has - snowing here, just insignificant dandruff flakes but another day with snow falling at least, and it bodes well for tomorrow as well!

LS

Posted

We have the most stupidest little not even worth mentioning soft tenny snow shower. Its covered the windscreen on the car but thats about it.

Still going here, pretty light but it does appear to be making a visible addition to the snowcover!

By the way, did anyone notice we broke the record number of people on at one time at 8.30pm?? Great stuff. 1,330 weather anoraks online at one time!

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Yaay, we appear to have generated our own convection out of nowhere like Edinburgh has - snowing here, just insignificant dandruff flakes but another day with snow falling at least, and it bodes well for tomorrow as well!

LS

Hi LS,

Been Snowing here since about 9.45pm drinks.gif

It must be Cooncil Snaw though dry.gif

It's awfy slow and no doin very muchwhistling.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Snizzle here in Leith. The net effect of that will only be to add a bit of glaze to every frozen ground surface ie everything.

Just when I thought the back-streets/pavements couldn't get any worse.

LS

Posted

Hi LS,

Been Snowing here since about 9.45pm drinks.gif

It must be Cooncil Snaw though dry.gif

It's awfy slow and no doin very muchwhistling.gif

Big Innes

hah. Did you see they managed to source half a day's supply of grit this evening? Quite an achievement really!

This reminds me a bit of the first showers from the easterly in February, when it was just dandruff for about 2 hours! Never mind, I'd given up hope of getting any tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more interesting.

LS

Posted

Something definitely developing at pace over Fife and Lothian at the moment - started snowing here in the last ten minutes...

Posted

we have snow, not heavy but WE HAVE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yahoo.gif

Wow, have you had some kind of lobotomy since your last downbeat comment on a light snow shower?whistling.gif

edit: I now find myself in the odd position of being to the southeast of a band of precipitation which has passed through while the wind is from the northwestrofl.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Also light snow here in Leith now Shuggs. Vageuly possible I 'spose that we might get a couple of millimetres (radar returns are getting slightly brightrer) but its very very light at this point.

Something definitely developing at pace over Fife and Lothian at the moment - started snowing here in the last ten minutes...

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yep, light but steady here, here's hoping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Just made it from glasgow to ullapool tonight. Set off at 5pm, met heavy snow from crianlarich all the way to drumnadrochit before it went off. Road from garve to ullapool is in a bad way, covered with 2foot drifts at its sides. Enjoyable drive apart from the deer. Can c first hand now the snow up here compared to the central belt

Posted

PPVO89.png

Just when we thought quieter weather with high pressure was going to come in...drinks.gif