Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

Carry on please folks :whistling:

Hoping to get a dusting tonight, the only thing this cold spell needs here is for a good dumping of snow. I don't think tonight will be the night but we still have time.

Old topic here:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Darn, now we have 2!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Fair enough, still a bit unsure if the band will make it here over the highlands.

edit: Bonspiel on Lake of Menteith this weekend!!!!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

In reply to Yeahbabyyeah, that must be the cold air undercutting - if this is rain in Aberdeen, we might get a short spell of snow before it passes through, then soon after all the snow showers will soonstart packing in. :lol:

Posted

Don't want to be a harbinger of doom but from watching the radar the front appears to be losing it's intensity as it approaches the central belt.

Even though we've had lying snow and ice here since before xmas I have yet to see it fall as I have always been working at the coast where it's been p**hing with rain. 'Mon the snow :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Coler air now digging in from the north, temperature is now -1'C and even Eilean Siar is down to 1'C and only going to get colder I think. Ice, snow and windchill to come!

Posted

Maybe shouldn't of made my first post then went off for my dinner. Thanks for the welcomes.

Think the front will reintensify quickly once over the hills.

I have my very own giant lamposts (in the form of the two bridges) to watch : once they dissappear I know the snoe will be here in five minutes

So much for my worries about the sear air affecting the snow chances here whistling.gif

MEight tomorrow going to interesting (rear wheel drive joy : am getting used to driving sideways)

P

Don't want to be a harbinger of doom but from watching the radar the front appears to be losing it's intensity as it approaches the central belt.

Even though we've had lying snow and ice here since before xmas I have yet to see it fall as I have always been working at the coast where it's been p**hing with rain. 'Mon the snow :wallbash:

It is definitely fizzling out a little. Split and miss yet again, let's hope not?? Should be with me soon, although quite light I think!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Anymore news on the loco? unsure.gif

Just phoned my parents who live a few hundred metres from Carrbridge station. They have 50 cm of snow and falling branches (due to weight of snow) has been a big problem; trains from Inverness having to stop all the time to clear them.

Apparently, the train was coming south from Inverness. The descent from the Slochd summit is very steep and goes through a deep problem cutting (problem for drifting, mini avalanches onto the line) before coming onto a high embankment/bridge over the river before entering the station.

Well, my folks say the whole house started shaking. At the same time, the train was blasting it's horn continuously as it approached the station.

Seems the train may have come down the descent too fast and hit some snow/branches derailing one of the cars. This led the driver to sound a warning as houses line the track on the approach to the station.

As far as they can tell, nothing came completely off the rails; i.e. the train is still in one piece. Only two people on board with one slightly injured.

Police etc all over the place.

Could have been a lot worse as 5 houses lie within 10 m of the line.

Posted

Thanks Snowlover2

Hope I can add to the party here.

Model thread about to go into meltdown about the upcoming 10-15 day cold spell (for the South) : that will be 30 plus for us then rolleyes.gif From what I can see of the latest ECM its not exactly about to warm up

Wonder if the local council would mind if I put our communal grit bin contents on EBay rofl.gif

Posted

Just phoned my parents who live a few hundred metres from Carrbridge station. They have 50 cm of snow and falling branches (due to weight of snow) has been a big problem; trains from Inverness having to stop all the time to clear them.

Apparently, the train was coming south from Inverness. The descent from the Slochd summit is very steep and goes through a deep problem cutting (problem for drifting, mini avalanches onto the line) before coming onto a high embankment/bridge over the river before entering the station.

Well, my folks say the whole house started shaking. At the same time, the train was blasting it's horn continuously as it approached the station.

Seems the train may have come down the descent too fast and hit some snow/branches derailing one of the cars. This led the driver to sound a warning as houses line the track on the approach to the station.

As far as they can tell, nothing came completely off the rails; i.e. the train is still in one piece. Only two people on board with one slightly injured.

This is their garden the other day BTW (posted this previously). You can see the amount of snow on the trees

post-9421-12626322029513_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Bloody hell, peeps!

No snow, here. And, welcome, Pol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Getting a bit snow-starved too! A bit too hit or miss for my liking. Could do with a good heavy fall now and by the looks of Tuesday and Wednesday (according to the Beeb) it's not looking as good as originally thought! I know, I know, forget about the Beeb! but it would just be our luck for them to be right this time!

Posted

Does anyone know if Grey Mare's Tail has frozen yet : that was my lasting memory of the last Scottish Ice Age.

Posted

Anymore news on the loco? :angry:

There are some pictures on this guys flikr site of the train, looks to have gone well into the trees.

Flikr Pictures

also a video of the scene

Video Link

Seems to be a bit of carnage, the line will be closed for some time

Posted

Wow, just looked at the BBC report on the train:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8440298.stm

Seems a few cars and the engine have come off, but thankfully not onto the houses.

Posted

Yup, the rain has turned to snow but it will only settle on the ice as the other surfaces are now wet. Still, the temp is falling so that will no doubt change as the night goes on,