Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Its gonna be 50/50 tomorrow, either the East side of the country is happy or the West side is!

WEST

As it stands at the minute :wallbash:

We need big steve here..... as to what he thinks :lol: :D

Posted

The track of ppn has changed constantly and will continue to do so. Personally I'm not particularly worried - my guess is most areas of the country will be hit by the front, and regardless heavy snow showers will pack into the East anyways - so the whole country should do well either way! Its a case of radar-watching at this stage!

Hi I'm head of the News team at the B.B.C, please could you comfirm if I order my reporters to stand on a bridge over the M4 or the A1, East or West that is the Billion Dollar question my Weatherpeople here at the B.B.C. have a slight difference of opinion.

Posted

We will have between 5-10 cm In north/North west london from tuesday Afternoon No probs

A brave forecast my friend. Hope you are right fella

Posted

Look east radio forcast for bbc essex, snow 2mo eve maybe upto 5cm, snow showers weds some heavy, upto 15cm.but is a ever changing picture,-2.7 here already. in a shetted part of my garden

Posted

Thanks for the answer. I guess I will just postpone. Rather be safe than sorry! :rolleyes:

Look at this chart.....one of the many changing ones I might add....... draw a rough line from Ewell to Cornwall, down the A303 and see how many blue areas it covers........ Postponing may be wise, there again it could all be wrong!!

ukprec.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0ca94b6947eb60fe47bb60ae967e6bf147bb6043&dopsig=42abf6a2c5025f506af72c5d462861a9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Hi All

As I understand things the latest N24 forcast would have been recrded ahead of the 12Z runs. On this basis they are already potentially out of date, so little point in getting overly worried / excited by them. whistling.gif

Also, as said by others exact locations will change between now and tommorow as it is virtually impossible to anticipate snowfall distribution in advance. Same is true of rainfall in normal circumstances but nobody ever notices because 5mm of rain feels no different to 15mm, but with Snow its a different story rolleyes.gif

Jason

But are they pre-recorded though? Others have said it was live. And the latest fax charts back up the forecast. It could all change and shift further east, but i think this is how the Met see it playing out as things stand.

Posted

Hi I'm head of the News team at the B.B.C, please could you comfirm if I order my reporters to stand on a bridge over the M4 or the A1, East or West that is the Billion Dollar question my Weatherpeople here at the B.B.C. have a slight difference of opinion.

Are you for real? lol

Can't you just go down to the Weather Centre... I mean it's only the next floor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

where can i find a decent radar to show the predictions of the weather over the next day or so???

Posted

Well the FAX charts (produced with human influence) go for the NAE precip scenario with the main precip over the southcoast and southwest. Still a big change in such a short amount of time and in 12 hours time we may be a bit more clear.

There's still plenty of time for things to shift, preferably towards us, but luck may not be with us with this one.

Yes they have shifted though even then the SE would probably get some snow from a band coming down...

My advice would be this is more likely to shift east then west...doesn't always work out that way but some American mets I know on another forum I follow said to me that if the models are to shift, 8 out of 10 times they will shift eastwards.

For now I'd say don't get too excited but equally do not become too stressed out, plenty of time for things to shift and suprise people IMO.

Posted

Are you for real? lol

Can't you just go down to the Weather Centre... I mean it's only the next floor

So do you think it will Snow in the Blue Peter Garden we are making cut backs you understand lol.

Posted

But are they pre-recorded though? Others have said it was live. And the latest fax charts back up the forecast. It could all change and shift further east, but i think this is how the Met see it playing out as things stand.

Even if it was live, i don't see how they could have been including the 12Z data as it was still rolling out at 4.30pm and they would need time to consider and incorporate into the forcast.cool.gif

As for the graphics, don't even get me starteddiablo.gif

Posted

So do you think it will Snow in the Blue Peter Garden we are making cut backs you understand lol.

From my understanding of the 3PM conference call, the 'disruptive' snow will be West of London.

The 18Z NAE which will be out in 4 hours or so will firm up on tomorrow's event. However, personally I'm thinking this is a near miss for us all in EA/SE.

Posted

Kold do you hold any hope that 'our' North Sea Low can some how come through and beat the channel low?

Are there any clues at all that one can look for to see which one might 'win' ??

Ta

W want the channel one to win, sure its a little risky but it holds out far better prospects then if the North Sea one occured, sure it may mean most of the best stuff goes to our west but I'd still fancy something coming down the North Sea as the whloe lot will eventually come southwards...

If the 06z idea of a north sea low came off many places would struggle to get a dusting, at least this set-up would give everyone in the SE+EA a fair slice of the cake...

Posted

We will have between 5-10 cm In north/North west london from tuesday Afternoon No probs

I will give you Even money for 1cm and traffic brought to a halt and 20-1 for Snow over 5cm and a mention on the B.B.C. for London. :D

Posted

SE County councils now getting advice on making arrangements from the MetO, as their contingency systems kick into gear:

(name and contact details withheld)

The MetO are very smart in their wording. It is basically up to the regional councils to decide whether or not to implement gritting etc. Croydon Borough will be upgrading the gritting operations to full-scale shifts in advance that being tomorrow afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Even if it was live, i don't see how they could have been including the 12Z data as it was still rolling out at 4.30pm and

As for the graphics, don't even get me starteddiablo.gif

God, they're just awful, aren't they? I'd bring back the fridge magnets they used to have when I was a kid! And since when has the UK been khaki???! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

From my understanding of the 3PM conference call, the 'disruptive' snow will be West of London.

The 18Z NAE which will be out in 4 hours or so will firm up on tomorrow's event. However, personally I'm thinking this is a near miss for us all in EA/SE.

The only thing is of course, every run up to now has gone for the ppn to go south affecting a vast swathe od the country. One run has gone for it going further west and suddenly everyone is suddenly certain its going to the SW or doomy and gloomy it wont affect the East.

No-one knows for sure what is going to happen, the models are struggling and so its a case of radar watching. My bet's certainly wouldn't be ruling anything out just yet...and I would rather go with what the models have been showing consistently for days, than what one single run has. Let's see what the 18z and 00z bring first...but even then, I will trust the radar a WHOLE lot more!

Posted

Brave call Ocean. Personally I want to see how things are 6-12 hours beforehand. However this is a great example of how large snow events can develop for areas in a relatively short time frame. Many in the Central and Southern West locations had attention on East Anglia and South East.

It is going to be an interesting few days starting tomorrow.

Posted

Agreed. Think the sweet spot will be around Gloucs/Wilts/Hants - up to 20cm here.

EA/SE to get a dusting.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

BBC forecast has just gone for the SW "solution" with nothing worth reporting over London/Kent....

No fingernails left........

DS

Posted

Look at this chart.....one of the many changing ones I might add....... draw a rough line from Ewell to Cornwall, down the A303 and see how many blue areas it covers........ Postponing may be wise, there again it could all be wrong!!

ukprec.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0ca94b6947eb60fe47bb60ae967e6bf147bb6043&dopsig=42abf6a2c5025f506af72c5d462861a9

Oh my! Im not driving anywhere if that comes to fruition! I get nervous going around the round about in icy conditions... lol. Thanks for that much appreciated. :D

Posted

To be fair though, if we do miss out tomorrow weve got the rest of the week because of heavy and frequent snow showers coming off the North Sea.