Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Quite interesting piece on sky news just now, didn't catch all of it, but talking about worries councils will run out of grit for roads in next few days.

Posted

Is it a Davis??? If so they have a drip ring designed to take moisture away from moving parts. If not then I don't think you can stop the icing up. Even a Davis will freeze solid given wind driven compacting snow, rime ice etc.

na its a la crosse WS2350 but without the cups it as small propeller instead thanx anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

The latest charts seem to suggest the heaviest snow tomorrow / Wed being South central England now.

The way things are going we won't know how much we are going to get in any area until after the event ;-)

What's the story on the Friday / weekend affair?

Posted

I tell you what could I set up a little betting ring on here and I will give you the odds on 1-2 cm for your area and so forth? If every 1 made there own predictions on another thread then we could look back and record who was the best or luckiest forecaster on here. lol only joking but it would be good if possible.:cray:

Posted

Hello to all,

How much snow do you think im gunna have lying on the ground at the end of this week. I live in NW london (harrow). Btw i recored my lowest ever temp last night -8.8 then 9 oclock in the morining -7

Thanks

Rajeev

P.s hoping for no school this week :cray:

Well London snow is the holy grail isn't it? I'm just a few miles away from you Rajeev in cool, leafy Ealing/work in concrete, warm Hammersmith. My constant lament about this forum is members reluctance to grasp the sheltered London nettle. Will it be too warm (unlikely at the moment admittedly), will the Chilterns choke off the snow as they do the oft-forecast rarely delivered rain in summer for my garden? (More than possible).

Sky are now forecasting disruptive snow for London tomorrow, but this looks a brave forecast to me.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100104/tuk-heavy-snow-set-to-bring-more-travel-45dbed5.html

I still reckon it's 50/50 at best for us in the capital. Anyway, here's hoping. :lol:

Posted

From some forecasts that would be driving virtually the entire way in Heavy snow. Keep watching all forecasts!

Thanks for the answer. I guess I will just postpone. Rather be safe than sorry! :cray:

Posted

Well the FAX charts (produced with human influence) go for the NAE precip scenario with the main precip over the southcoast and southwest. Still a big change in such a short amount of time and in 12 hours time we may be a bit more clear.

There's still plenty of time for things to shift, preferably towards us, but luck may not be with us with this one.

Posted

Well London snow is the holy grail isn't it? I'm just a few miles away from you Rajeev in cool, leafy Ealing/work in concrete, warm Hammersmith. My constant lament about this forum is members reluctance to grasp the sheltered London nettle. Will it be too warm (unlikely at the moment admittedly), will the Chilterns choke off the snow as they do the oft-forecast rarely delivered rain in summer for my garden? (More than possible).

Sky are now forecasting disruptive snow for London tomorrow, but this looks a brave forecast to me.

http://uk.news.yahoo...el-45dbed5.html

I still reckon it's 50/50 at best for us in the capital. Anyway, here's hoping. :cray:

During the past couple of times, the Chilterns have acctually helped pep-up the snow.......

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

Is it me or is the air really dry at the moment? I'm sitting in front of the computer with the window open (yes it is cold!) and the heating off in my room... and I keep getting static shocks :cray: from anything metal... Glad the PC is well earthed.

Hopefully the unstable air from tomorrow will reduce this a tad.

DS

Posted

Well the FAX charts (produced with human influence) go for the NAE precip scenario with the main precip over the southcoast and southwest. Still a big change in such a short amount of time and in 12 hours time we may be a bit more clear.

There's still plenty of time for things to shift, preferably towards us, but luck may not be with us with this one.

Tommy, see Ian Fergusson's latest post in the S.W. thread - latest NAE charts for Tues/Wed has indeed shifted it to Central S.England and South West, but it's still 24 hours away. These tracks can change and prob will.

Posted

Its gonna be 50/50 tomorrow, either the East side of the country is happy or the West side is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The track of ppn has changed constantly and will continue to do so. Personally I'm not particularly worried - my guess is most areas of the country will be hit by the front, and regardless heavy snow showers will pack into the East anyways - so the whole country should do well either way! Its a case of radar-watching at this stage!

Posted

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100104/tuk-heavy-snow-set-to-bring-more-travel-45dbed5.html

I still reckon it's 50/50 at best for us in the capital. Anyway, here's hoping. :wallbash:

We will have between 5-10 cm In north/North west london from tuesday Afternoon No probs

Posted

Its gonna be 50/50 tomorrow, either the East side of the country is happy or the West side is!

I'm sitting smugly on the fence here in central southern England. :D

Hope its not a case of counting my chickens :wallbash:

Posted

The UKMO is the meto model right? So why would they disregard the ppn showing on that?

Posted

The track of ppn has changed constantly and will continue to do so. Personally I'm not particularly worried - my guess is most areas of the country will be hit by the front, and regardless heavy snow showers will pack into the East anyways - so the whole country should do well either way! Its a case of radar-watching at this stage!

I remember my boarding school days in Kesgrave in the 80's. Had some amazing snow days there.... *sigh*

DS

Posted

We will have between 5-10 cm In north/North west london from tuesday Afternoon No probs

hope so :wallbash: going to the british library tomorrow on my birthday so hope its not here until late

Posted

na its a la crosse WS2350 but without the cups it as small propeller instead thanx anyway

I had one of these pre Davis and my just siezed on it's own accord, no snow or ice. A trip up a ladder, some poking and WD40 and there was life again, but these are very prove to icing and any heavy snow that sticks, will of course freeze it up until a thaw.

Posted

and then there's Wednesday, Thursday, next week and so on. I suspect everyone will look back at this Winter with a smile. Don't beat yourself up over the potential yet, wait until the radar shows it (or not).

Like the weather, people have gotta chill! :wallbash:

Posted

hope so :D going to the british library tomorrow on my birthday so hope its not here until late

Some of the better members on here say the charts are allways 50-100 miles too south be it Rain or snow and this time Its deffo Snow. :wallbash:

Posted

Can anyone tell me if Brighton is going to get Rain? as that is what a couple of the forecasts have predicted tomorrow,i really hope its snow.

Posted

Hi All

As I understand things the latest N24 forcast would have been recrded ahead of the 12Z runs. On this basis they are already potentially out of date, so little point in getting overly worried / excited by them. whistling.gif

Also, as said by others exact locations will change between now and tommorow as it is virtually impossible to anticipate snowfall distribution in advance. Same is true of rainfall in normal circumstances but nobody ever notices because 5mm of rain feels no different to 15mm, but with Snow its a different story rolleyes.gif

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes
dirol.gif My granddad in Scotland is currently getting this snow so far it has given 12cm of snow already!! hope we get as much as that 2