Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

OMG. Has anyone seen the UKMO PPN charts. Run the sequence through!

24 hrs of heavy snow from tomorrow evening for EA & SE. I hope this is the one that comes off. The GFS is totally different, favouring those around C.Mids/Hants as the sweet spot.

UKMO

*Gulp* If that verifies then SE England are in for 1.5 days of uninterrupted snow. That would be "interesting".....

DS

Editied for bad maths! :drinks:

Edited by desperately seeking

Posted

what do people expect to hit in terms of temperatures tonight? it's already -1.8 here and dropping fairly fast.

clear skies and little/no wind for the rest of tonight?

Posted

The UKMO ppn charts are insane for EA/SE

By my calculations, IF that came off, there would be 15-20cm quite widely across the region. Maybe some spots pushing 25-30cm!

GFS not as good.

Posted

The UKMO ppn charts are insane for EA/SE

By my calculations, IF that came off, there would be 15-20cm quite widely across the region. Maybe some spots pushing 25-30cm!

GFS not as good.

But they are both onto similar things which is important!

Posted

We are one of the best regions in the positioning of snow over the next few days. UKMO PPN charts shows EA and the SE under snow for more than a day! Im sure that will change though

Posted

For all those asking how much snow they might get - well it is an impossible question to answer, as someone just said we need to watch the radar tomorrow morning. I dont think the Models will have a handle on this until T6 Which is incredible tbh. Just look at the 3 Models we have so far

GFS - Shows this to be a Midlands, West Country and C Southern England Affair

UKMO - Shows this as East Anglia, East Midlands and South East

Little wonder the NAE (Which is a blend of all the Models together) shows something in the Middle of all this

Answer - They have NOT Got a Clue at the moment so why not slap a Warning for everywhere from Mid Wales across to the East Coast and say they will update when more info is available.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

I'd side with the MO over GFS for precipitation at this range any day.

90% certain of good snowfall widely across the SE tomorrow night.

Current Temp -1.3c

Posted

We are one of the best regions in the positioning of snow over the next few days. UKMO PPN charts shows EA and the SE under snow for more than a day! Im sure that will change though

is this for tommorow

Posted

what do people expect to hit in terms of temperatures tonight? it's already -1.8 here and dropping fairly fast.

clear skies and little/no wind for the rest of tonight?

Current data for Linslade

04 January 2010 16:53:07

Temperature (°C):

Current -3.9

Trend (per hour) -0.7

Average today -4.2

Wind chill -3.9

Heat Index -3.9

Dew Point -5.0

Rel Humidity 92%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 1.6 SE

Average Speed 0.0 ENE

Pressure (mb):

Current 1016.5

Trend (per hour) -0.4

Posted

is this for tommorow

Yes, tomorrow evening, but this could go one way or the other. The models are disagreeing at where the band is going to go, a few are for the E Midlands, EA and the SE but others are for the band of snow to head towards the south west

Posted

I hope I don't get rain from this! We always get rain in most frontal set ups! Will i see snow??!whistling.gif

I think we can safely say it will fall as snow. If you get rain than that is incredibly unlucky.

This could be the week for you.... yahoo.gif

Posted

Both UKMO and GFS trending the right way. But PPN distribution/amounts still way out in lala land. It's anyone's guess. From our point of view, we would like the UKMO to come off. That could deliver great snow to EA/SE with a mean depth I would guess between 10-15cm across the region. Double that in the lucky spots, which could be parts of Suffolk/Essex as the ppn intensifies (This ties in nicely with a post earlier which showed an email from the METO to a local council)

GFS on the other hand would still deliver, but only half as good as UKMO, as the main heavy band stays to the West of London and pushes S. So maybe a max of 10cm for our region in the sweet spot.

In other words they aint got a clue!

We will have to wait until the morning runs/radar watching/fax charts I think! How exciting, either way, it should snow everywhere in our region and for that we need to be greatful :D

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Hi guys how is Brighton looking for tommorow ?? only asking as have to travel in the afternoon .

Posted

I hope I don't get rain from this! We always get rain in most frontal set ups! Will i see snow??!:D

Personnally I think the South Coast ....Dorset to Sussex will get rain, the charts/runs I've seen Coastal temps look around +3 but rapidly declining inland. But it all so changeable only time and a last minute forecast can tell. (IMHumbleO)

Posted

Both UKMO and GFS trending the right way. But PPN distribution/amounts still way out in lala land. It's anyone's guess. From our point of view, we would like the UKMO to come off. That could deliver great snow to EA/SE with a mean depth I would guess between 10-15cm across the region. Double that in the lucky spots!

GFS on the other hand would still deliver, but only half as good as UKMO. So maybe a max of 10cm for our region in the sweet spot.

In other words they aint got a clue!

We will have to wait until the morning runs/radar watching/fax charts I think! How exciting, either way, it's going to snow everywhere and for that we need to be greatful :D

Hopefully the Fax charts from UKMO show good things for our region too!

Posted

can anyone tell me how to stop my wind measurer from freezing up please

current temp is -0.6

humidity is 84%

wind direction is NW

dew point is -2.9

plenty of radar watching tomorrow me thinks :D

i put some WD40 onto mine but it helps for a little breeze to keep it moving but so far im ok and its been below 0 here all day

is there a radar i can watch for free

and how do i tell if its snow

here is a link for one site i use

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Posted

can anyone tell me how to stop my wind measurer from freezing up please

Is it a Davis??? If so they have a drip ring designed to take moisture away from moving parts. If not then I don't think you can stop the icing up. Even a Davis will freeze solid given wind driven compacting snow, rime ice etc.

Posted

Just seen dan corbet on 24 latest LIVE forecast and it looked poor for snow here, he is going with the GFS, lots of snow central areas moving ssw as it clears,